I seem to have made a friend, then they're suddenly gone

Page 14 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14

bluegrama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Mar 2024, 10:34 pm

I'm 63 and it's happened to me my entire life. I still try, though. I'm working hard now trying to solidify a relationship with somebody I'd like to be his buddy. He just said he's ok with that, but is he really? I am going to try to learn from past mistakes, but I am already preparing for yet another ghosting. Maybe one day before I die I'll find a real buddy. Long as I'm breathing, I'll never give up.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2024, 8:12 pm

That's happened to me many times throughout my life. I'd make a friend one day and than it would be like that person and I never talked to each other.

TT1660
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2024, 2:35 am

Similar here. Except that I uh-ohed my own brain, due to a complete lack of education years ago, and dreaded Asperger's. I have never maintained contact with anyone for any prolonged period, and I'm still stuck at a dead end, with no idea how to solve what is becoming a crisis at my end.

Waking up dead is an option I've considered. But never actually gone through with it, due to it being irreversible. Just like everything I say to copy and pastes that results in no progress.

And I find FB to be absolute hopeless for forming any friendships/connections. Are there any other options that don't involving forking out heaps of cash?

DazyDaisy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Mar 2024, 4:11 am

^^^No.No. Never do that. Whenever you feel like that ask for help immediately. Grab a phone and call a support line or take a taxi and go straight to mental institution if necessary. It is even better to be there, for whatever time you need to be, until you get better. If there are support groups for autistic people join one. If you don't have them in your country look for another one, maybe ptsd group, etc. Or if you can find a therapist to be one on one with him/her so they can teach you some behavioural techniques that will help you to better cope in relationships with people.

I think that most of us are having terrible anxiety when around new people so we, basically, avoid meeting them at all (especially groups of people) and rather stay in our comfort zone, which means being safe but isolated in our own homes. But it is worthwhile to step over the line of that zone and make some effort to expose yourself to places and events where you can meet people. In a new group of people it will be awkward few several times before you feel relaxed enough to be more of yourself. If you don't know what to talk, be a listener. Ask questions. Make short comments.

I guess that if we sometimes don't have what NT people have intuitively ( social skills) we simply have to learn them if we don't want to end up completely isolated. Now I call it conscious masking. Before I new about autistic masking I was doing it unconsciously and didn't know how to dose it, I would usually exaggerate. Now when I understand what is in the background of my masking I am now learning to accept who I am and at least I know that I don't have to kill myself to appear as other NTs , which saves a lot of my energy and makes me less drained. Basic social skills are enough.

So expose yourself, step over your comfort zone, look for people and you will find few of them who will accept you, some of them maybe completely for who you are.

TT1660
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Mar 2024, 5:01 am

I read the above. Unfortunately, it seemed like the NT copy and paste was clueless to my situation, and this resulted in a slightly heated difference in opinion, which resulted in meself hanging up and not giving 'lifeline' any further consideration.

I asked to speak to a dude, and yet I was put through to a grumpy female in her 50s who must have been having a bad day. Where is professionalism when you need it? Nowhere to be found seemingly.

Even the one of the lines used above is nonsensical, it's good to have something that gives one a chuckle. It drove the support worker nuts at times.