Anyone alarmed by the sudden increase in Homophobia?

Page 5 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 11:06 am

I would say the internet has gotten a lot better in terms of LGBTQ+ tolerance in the past ten years or twenty years. Back in 2005 and probably until about 2012, I noticed a shocking amount of homophobia in various places on the internet.

Now I barely notice any.

I cannot attest to what is happening in terms of in-person incidents of that nature, however.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 11:19 am

Homophobia and transphobia have increased mainly because of covid. Covid is to blame for everything wrong with the world, now.

Mynameisrodrick
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2023, 5:27 pm

literally everybody at my school is homophobic, or just most people I meet in general, it sucks cuz I think I am trans and aromantic but I'm not sure :(

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 8:11 am

Mynameisrodrick wrote:
literally everybody at my school is homophobic, or just most people I meet in general, it sucks cuz I think I am trans and aromantic but I'm not sure :(

do you live in a generally conservative area or is it just the school?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 9:09 am

I am. Fortunately my travel plans don't require me to go to places where transphobia is rampant.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 9:22 am

What I've mainly noticed is an insanely huge rise in transphobia, which is widely tolerated by the people in charge. I swear trans people were barely on most of these bigots' radar 10 years ago, but they've become the new standard target for displaying one's bigot credentials. Alongside that, a slow but steady increase in the number of people who are willing to be racist or homophobic in public. I think they feel like it's OK now that mainstream politicians are constantly playing the Anti-Trans and Anti-Refugee cards.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 9:44 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
What I've mainly noticed is an insanely huge rise in transphobia, which is widely tolerated by the people in charge. I swear trans people were barely on most of these bigots' radar 10 years ago, but they've become the new standard target for displaying one's bigot credentials. Alongside that, a slow but steady increase in the number of people who are willing to be racist or homophobic in public. I think they feel like it's OK now that mainstream politicians are constantly playing the Anti-Trans and Anti-Refugee cards.

precisely. I for one can't wait for the next cycle. I'm tired of being persecuted. communists, gays, muslims, gays again, now trans people. when will it end?

Entropic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2023, 2:09 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Homophobia and transphobia have increased mainly because of covid. Covid is to blame for everything wrong with the world, now.

Unless you can prove that covid was caused by far right conspirationism, I have a hard time seeing how it's related to covid. It would be kind of hilarious if that was the case though, given how hard the far right pushed for antivax.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2023, 6:48 pm

On the DeviantArt forums, I've noticed several people younger than me referring to gay men as "homosexuals", even though that term is kind of dated. These are the same people who accuse everything of being "woke garbage" if there's black characters or LGBT characters in it.

katebrownell86
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Apr 2024, 10:44 am

It's true, intolerance still exists, but progress has been made. While some people online or in public might express negativity, many others actively support LGBTQ+ rights. There are more online spaces and communities for LGBTQ+ people than ever before. Focus on the positive allies and keep advocating for acceptance.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Apr 2024, 11:11 am

I was permabanned from yet another LT server yesterday because I was standing up to someone I had to deal with in a previous server who acts like all slash ships are predatory, and I was called a proshipper for liking slash ships by the owner... idk why I didn't just leave...

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+