Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 8:23 pm

calandale wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
greenblue wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
why are you asking only people who support gay marriages?

Because I want to spot the hypocrites who think that you should be able to marry whoever you want, but not as many people as you/they want. I'm for both.

People who support gay marriage, can be against polygamy, is about people believing in a family conforming 2 people, only one partner, just like straight relationships work.

Except there's no genital-to-genital copulation.

8█████ ) :( ( █████8
penis 1 penis 2

Why not? Use your imagination.

Okay, there's no genital-to-genital inversion, is what I meant.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 8:24 pm

Two words:

Vaginal prolapse.

JoeCapricorn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Aug 2007, 10:10 pm

Isn't polygamy one man having multiple wives?

I support polyamory, which is a 2+ partner relationship. I don't support any sort of relationship where one has dominance over the other without their consent. Of course that's a bit of a common sense thing...

If it can work, why not? Why must it be illegal?

However with polyamory, it gets more complicated, you're dealing with relationships between 3 or more people, and relations between 2 people is complicated enough.

However, for now my focus is on gay marriage. I'll support polygamy when the day comes that gay marriage is legalized in all 50 states. That day is guaranteed in my lifetime. I don't know about polygamy, but one day that'll happen too. It'll take longer because polygamists aren't even nearly as common as gays.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2007, 10:58 pm

Mitch8817 wrote:
But no polygamy. You can't wholly commit yourself to and love a group of people equally. There would be preferences, jealousies, envy, rivalries etc. It's a human thing. I see it as greedy.

Jealousy? That already exists in a lot of two-person relationships, and so does envy....[ex: He likes his stupid dog more than me!]. And as for the whole love thing....not every straight 2-person marriage is based on love either. Sometimes it's "hey, you knocked me up. you'd better marry me now so we can raise this kid." "ok."

Mitch8817 wrote:
And when you ask of polygamy, are you meaning both the male multiple wives and female multiple husbands? There seems to be an inherent inequality here.

I mean men having as many husbands/wives as is consented, and women having as many husbands/wives as is consented.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2007, 2:02 am

JoeCapricorn wrote:
However, for now my focus is on gay marriage. I'll support polygamy when the day comes that gay marriage is legalized in all 50 states. That day is guaranteed in my lifetime. I don't know about polygamy, but one day that'll happen too. It'll take longer because polygamists aren't even nearly as common as gays.

I'd take the opposite view,
but I'd rather get a foot in the
door.

Still, it makes more sense just to
abolish the whole legal situation.