Productivity is an ableist social construct

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2023, 7:27 pm

Ok, I'm just gonna come out and say it right away: Productivity is an ableist social construct that hurts all Neurodivergent and Disabled People. Also, it really doesn't matter what political system you're talking about here, either, it could be feudalism, it could be communism, or it could be capitalism. All of these political systems value productivity, at the end of the day, so all of these political systems fetishize workers who keep their societies going, as they see fit. However, because the wants and needs of neurodivergent and disabled people often inherently disrupt the pressures to keep the system going as it has gone on before, sadly, what often happens is that the wants and needs of neurodivergent and disabled people are often disregarded or downplayed, and in many cases it borders into full blown eugenics when we're deemed less worthy of being alive, and in some cases not even being worthy of having a right to life, altogether!! Again, all simply because the wants and needs of disabled and neurodivergent people disrupt the pressures to keep the system going as it has gone on before. Hell, even when we do get our wants and needs met, that still doesn't stop able-bodied, neurotypical and allistic people from often treating us as if we're lesser; of treating us like we're children well into our adulthood, or acting like meeting our wants and needs somehow inherently means we're incapable of living the life that's equal to the one that everyone else has. And yeah, it's the most discouraging thing you can possibly imagine, realizing that ableist society puts up so many more barriers to just meeting all of your wants and needs, even if it's just that you want to be accepted for who you are while living a life that's equal to the one that everyone else lives, and not just being held back, in more ways than one, simply because you're regarded as too crippled to even have had a chance, to begin with... :( :cry: :shaking: :pale:

Last edited by BraveFig on 08 Apr 2023, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 7:32 pm

Here the government is starting to offer euthanasia to army vets or other people with intractable PTSD, mood disorders, or apparently even disabilities. I haven't seen it for myself but I've heard the outcry. I was personally advised not to advertise my status very much to local government because they'll try to squeeze me out of my house if I want any rate adjustments or special services for being on disability pay. It's not a friendly world at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2023, 7:43 pm

BraveFig wrote:
Ok, I'm just gonna come out and say it right away: Productivity is an ableist social construct that hurts all Neurodivergent and Disabled People. Also, it really doesn't matter what political system you're talking about here, either, it could be feudalism, it could be communism, it could be capitalism. All of these political systems value productivity, at the end of the day, so all of these political systems fetishize workers who keep their societies going, as they see fit. However, because the wants and needs of neurodivergent and disabled people often inherently disrupt the pressures to keep the system going as it has gone on before, sadly, what often happens is that the wants and needs of neurodivergent and disabled people are often disregarded or downplayed, and in many cases it borders into full blown eugenics when we're deemed less worthy of being alive, and in some cases not even being worthy of having a right to life, altogether!! Again, all simply because the wants and needs of disabled and neurodivergent people disrupt the pressures to keep the system going as it has gone on before. Hell, even when we do get our wants and needs met, that still doesn't stop able-bodied, neurotypical and allistic people from often treating us as if we're lesser; of treating us like we're children well into our adulthood, or acting like meeting our wants and needs somehow inherently means we're incapable of living the life that's equal to the one that everyone else has. And yeah, it's the most discouraging thing you can possibly imagine, realizing that ableist society puts up so many more barriers to just meeting all of your wants and needs, even if it's just that you want to be accepted for who you are while living a life that's equal to the one that everyone else lives, and not just being held back, in more ways than one, simply because you're regarded as too crippled to even have had a chance, to begin with...
So what bothers you the most?

• Productivity being allegedly 'fetishized'?
• Allegedly being treated as 'lesser'?
• Having to earn what you want?
• Allegedly being 'crippled'?

People are hired to produce; if you have not produced, you have not earned your pay, and you do not deserve the privilege of being a paid employee.

Sure, you have the right to seek employment, but being employed itself is a privilege awarded to those who produce.  That is simply the nature of employment.

A reward given for non-productivity is called 'charity'.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BraveFig
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2023, 9:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
BraveFig wrote:
Ok, I'm just gonna come out and say it right away: Productivity is an ableist social construct that hurts all Neurodivergent and Disabled People. Also, it really doesn't matter what political system you're talking about here, either, it could be feudalism, it could be communism, it could be capitalism. All of these political systems value productivity, at the end of the day, so all of these political systems fetishize workers who keep their societies going, as they see fit. However, because the wants and needs of neurodivergent and disabled people often inherently disrupt the pressures to keep the system going as it has gone on before, sadly, what often happens is that the wants and needs of neurodivergent and disabled people are often disregarded or downplayed, and in many cases it borders into full blown eugenics when we're deemed less worthy of being alive, and in some cases not even being worthy of having a right to life, altogether!! Again, all simply because the wants and needs of disabled and neurodivergent people disrupt the pressures to keep the system going as it has gone on before. Hell, even when we do get our wants and needs met, that still doesn't stop able-bodied, neurotypical and allistic people from often treating us as if we're lesser; of treating us like we're children well into our adulthood, or acting like meeting our wants and needs somehow inherently means we're incapable of living the life that's equal to the one that everyone else has. And yeah, it's the most discouraging thing you can possibly imagine, realizing that ableist society puts up so many more barriers to just meeting all of your wants and needs, even if it's just that you want to be accepted for who you are while living a life that's equal to the one that everyone else lives, and not just being held back, in more ways than one, simply because you're regarded as too crippled to even have had a chance, to begin with...
So what bothers you the most?

• Productivity being allegedly 'fetishized'?
• Allegedly being treated as 'lesser'?
• Having to earn what you want?
• Allegedly being 'crippled'?

People are hired to produce; if you have not produced, you have not earned your pay, and you do not deserve the privilege of being a paid employee.

Sure, you have the right to seek employment, but being employed itself is a privilege awarded to those who produce.  That is simply the nature of employment.

A reward given for non-productivity is called 'charity'.
Thank you so much for your very thoughtful list of questions!! :) :D I guess, if anything, what I fear the most is anti-autism bias in the job hiring process, as well as the workplace. This isn't just me saying this, btw, there's evidence to back up the claims of what I fear, as well: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35294714/ and https://hbr.org/2021/12/autism-doesnt-h ... ation-does :o The big point is, tho, that there's implicit bias against autistic people in any field that involves finding and keeping a job, and in order to successfully do so, you need to somehow find a way to get past that implicit anti-autism bias, 'cause otherwise, the cards are just gonna be stacked against you, and there's really not much you can do about it, either, if you can't find the right shortcuts, those opportunities that will make you lucky, often purely by random chance, more than anything. :| :?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 12:14 am

The only 'shortcut' I know to employment is having skills that are in demand.  For example:

• Amateur Radio License
• Electrical Engineering Degree
• Forklift & Lift-Truck Certifications
• Radiotelephone License
• Technical Drafting & Writing
• U.S. Navy Service

Plus a few other certifications and machine-shop skills that got me hired into a job that lasted over a quarter-century through three relocations and a major layoff (I was not diagnosed until half-way through my employment).  My 'attitude' was often called into question (i.e., poor communication and socialization), but it was my skillset that carried the day.  I also knew no one at that employer before being hired -- those who had been there longer often called me an 'outsider' and treated me as either an intruder or a stranger, and they were all eventually laid off!

People may say that it is not what you know, but whom you know.  The opposite has always worked for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Apr 2023, 5:16 am

Hmm. This very much depends on how the concept is framed, imo.

Measuring a person's moral worth by how economically productive they are? Absolutely, that's ableist.

But productivity can also be empowering. Basically the only way productivity improves is through innovation, and by far the most dramatic is technological innovation. Assistive technologies can dramatically improve a disabled person's quality of life, but also improve our productivity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 5:43 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Measuring a person's moral worth by how economically productive they are? Absolutely, that's ableist.
You will get no argument from me on this point.  Not only is such a measurement ableist, but it is also itself immoral (imho).
The_Walrus wrote:
But productivity can also be empowering. Basically the only way productivity improves is through innovation, and by far the most dramatic is technological innovation. Assistive technologies can dramatically improve a disabled person's quality of life, but also improve our productivity.
Productivity is applicable to a person's monetary value to an employer -- a fact which labor unions seem to abhor and try to mitigate with 'quotas'.

If you are capable of accurately producing 200 widgets in an 8-hour shift, then you have greater monetary value to your employer than a coworker who can accurately produce only 150 widgets in an 8-hour shift.  To keep more union workers on the payroll, your union will push for a maximum quota that the both of you can meet -- 120 widgets per 8-hour shift.

Your coworker may take the full eight hours to accurately produce his quota, but you can make your quota in 4 hours and 48 minutes -- giving you 3 hours and 12 minutes of non-productive time for which you will still get paid.

Woe be unto the worker who exceeds his quota!  For the union will impose fines and other penalties ("Will that be one lump, or two?" / "Let's make it fifty!") upon the more ambitious worker to discourage him from being more productive, thus more valuable, and thus less likely to be laid off than the other union workers.

(I have personally been through that.)

So, my advice to the OP is to seek a union job and thereby benefit from the quota system.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:01 am

I have the skills to be a web developer or app developer but can't get past the interview process.

When I ask for feedback it's strange reasons like:
-talking in short sentences,
-'looking like I didn't want to be in the interview ',
-not indenting code (which is just how the code looks, and wasn't specified as something the examiners were looking for)

I think the days of just needing skills are gone.

In my interviews it was people with technical skills who thought I was ok and put me forward to the next stage of the interview.

It was when I got to the interview stage with a non-technical person like HR is when I got the rejection letter.

So society isn't working in that logical way anymore.
As in: 'you make yourself valuable and you'll be hired!' which is what it used to be like.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:01 pm

When just about anyone can learn to write an app, there may be many more candidates for an app-writer's position than there are available positions.  I wrote a few apps for my past employer, and I wrote them in QuickBasic (specifically, QB64).  Once compiled, they operated on W10/11 platforms and made setting up and trouble-shooting other processor-based tools and equipment much easier.

But that was just ONE aspect of my job.  Relying on only one skill (that many others also possess) will not put you in demand.  It is the collection of skills -- the skillset -- that makes you marketable as an employee.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:19 pm

I apply for jobs that are in web development only. They have a wide range of technologies that are desired but they're under the same category. So they'll be looking for
Html
CSS
Database
JavaScript

But any web developer will know those.
I had two interviews with companies that are looking to get people back into work. They have agreements with corporations to find people.
I passed the online skill exam with a grade of 100% . For both companies.
One of them said I didn't want to be in the interview and the other made the remarks about indenting and short sentences.

There was a thread here about an autistic man who failed 150 job interviews and ended up starting his own business, so this problem is quite widespread among the autistic community.

I think I might go into another type of work myself now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2023, 7:51 pm

We live in nation states which compete in a capitalist global marketplace, Not having productivity targets means we can't participate or compete with other nation states and within one generation we will all be working in Chinese labour camps making components for Huawei phones

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 5:22 am

Both Darwinian evolution and multipolar traps are ableist. We'd have to break both somehow to solve that one (though - with what's coming technologically in the next decade or so we'll probably all be obsolete).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 6:36 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Both Darwinian evolution and multipolar traps are ableist. We'd have to break both somehow to solve that one (though - with what's coming technologically in the next decade or so we'll probably all be obsolete).

"We" assumes we live in a global village. We live in antagonistic and competitive nation states.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 10:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
"We" assumes we live in a global village. We live in antagonistic and competitive nation states.

It's fractal. It exists at any level of resolution where you have any kind of 'in' vs. 'out' (altruism for the inside, psychopathy for the outside).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2023, 12:16 pm

My disability is in large part about productivity. I have problems with concentration, slowness, poor agility, poor physical strenght and endurance, poor tolerance of unpleasant feelings, obsessions and "manias", excitating and generally "narrow" interests, many fears (such as religious ones), in addition I am definitely not asexual and aromantic. I am very impaired in terms of earning money. I have social pension and care allowance due to my pervasive developmental disorder and mental illness. My "mentality" does not consider this as immoral, but even as something correct and more "human" than not giving "unconditional" money for people like me.

I think that people with more severe (not "mild") ASD or similar disorders are very disabled in the area of "making money" and, generally, working. Lack of productivity and "reliability" is something which makes these people not "high-functioning".

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2023, 4:30 pm

Wut?

No. It's a measure of economic output.

When I couldn't produce much at all, I earned close to zero dollars. Now that I am able to produce skilled work, the faster I do it, the more money I can make - which is often between $50-100/hour depending on the job.

I was once constrained from being able to produce, so, I put in the hard work to improve my health and then learn and build skills so that I can produce and generate an income for myself that will at least sustain me. This is basic economics.