Page 10 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2024, 3:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
As I see it, autism and narcissism can look a lot alike at the surface, but are totally different conditions.

You're right that they're different conditions, but it's worth considering how to better navigate the narcissistic tendencies we encounter from other autistic people, as well as our own tendencies of that sort.

To me, what's the core thing about narcissism is the fragile ego that the narcissistic people will protect and defend at all costs. They are prepared to hurt or even destroy you if that's what it takes. That can make narcisstic people very dangerous if you threathen their ego. Narcissism can be part of a autistic persons personality, but narcissism is not a part of autism, as far as I know.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 3:49 pm

Sounds exhausting to be a full narcissistic person. I think I'll give it a miss

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 4:22 pm

BillyTree wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
BillyTree wrote:
As I see it, autism and narcissism can look a lot alike at the surface, but are totally different conditions.

You're right that they're different conditions, but it's worth considering how to better navigate the narcissistic tendencies we encounter from other autistic people, as well as our own tendencies of that sort.

To me, what's the core thing about narcissism is the fragile ego that the narcissistic people will protect and defend at all costs. They are prepared to hurt or even destroy you if that's what it takes. That can make narcisstic people very dangerous if you threathen their ego. Narcissism can be part of a autistic persons personality, but narcissism is not a part of autism, as far as I know.

That list of overlapping traits would suggest otherwise. If this is narcissism (as opposed to narcissistic personality disorder):
Quote:
Self-centeredness; inappropriate to developmental level and cultural expectations
Poor self-awareness, poor ability to develop remorse or learn from mistakes
Poor empathy or appreciation of others feelings
Poor ability to reciprocate emotions.
Hostile dependency on safe relations.
Failure to develop emotional relationships appropriate to developmental level and social norms
Treating people as objects or preferring objects over them

than it's fair to say narcissism is a trait typical of autism because those traits are narcissism.

Pointing to additional features of NPD and saying because because autists don't also display those they don't display the core components of narcissism isn't really much of a take because narcissism and NPD aren't synonymous.

Kids aren't usually viciously vindictive when their egos are hurt either, but they're still narcissistic. Being that way is a normal part of development. Some people are just less able to develop beyond that than others.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 4:30 pm

Just that some people have been so damaged beyond the point of death for some .That it is a natural reaction ,to "not" want to give them (NARCS).the benefit of the doubt .. and based personal experience, am pretty much feeling the same way.
And still can hope those people with those traits are able to get some ,help, but equally would want them to realize or take responsibility for their actions with an eye towards making some kind of apologies or compensations :|
as part of their recovery, if they can comphrehend the effects of their actions .

where ever you go ,there you are

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Mar 2024, 4:37 pm

From Healthline.com
https://www.healthline.com/health/autis ... narcissism

"Here are some differences between autism and narcissism:

Restricted and repetitive behaviors: An ASD diagnosis requires someone to show restricted or repetitive behaviors. People with NPD don’t usually have this symptom.
Reason for not listening or being unempathetic: Many people with narcissism and autism are described as lacking empathy. People with ASD appear to lack empathy or not listen due to challenges with social interactions, especially with nonspeaking communication. People with NPD may be too focused on themselves to listen to or empathize with others.
Subject of preoccupation: People with NPD are often preoccupied with fantasies, especially concerning themselves. Autistic people are more likely to be preoccupied with objects (or parts of objects) or their interests.
Motivation for narcissistic traits: An autistic person could appear arrogant or egocentric to compensate for challenges they have with social interactions. Someone with NPD may appear this way because they’re unwilling or unable to empathize, they feel superior to others, or they’re taking advantage of situations to fulfill their own needs."

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 4:49 pm

BillyTree wrote:
From Healthline.com

Restricted and repetitive behaviors: An ASD diagnosis requires someone to show restricted or repetitive behaviors. People with NPD don’t usually have this symptom.
Reason for not listening or being unempathetic: Many people with narcissism and autism are described as lacking empathy. People with ASD appear to lack empathy or not listen due to challenges with social interactions, especially with nonspeaking communication. People with NPD may be too focused on themselves to listen to or empathize with others.
Subject of preoccupation: People with NPD are often preoccupied with fantasies, especially concerning themselves. Autistic people are more likely to be preoccupied with objects (or parts of objects) or their interests.
Motivation for narcissistic traits: An autistic person could appear arrogant or egocentric to compensate for challenges they have with social interactions. Someone with NPD may appear this way because they’re unwilling or unable to empathize, they feel superior to others, or they’re taking advantage of situations to fulfill their own needs."

Found for myself that often am afraid to show empathy towards strangers regardless of their disorder, due to many people have turned me into a target based on that same empathy, i have demostrated :skull: ...So consequently often to strangers , i maynot seem emphathetic ".If I do not know you well".. .Have missed NPD traits in people for extended periods of time, due to my naivete.Sometimes as long as 5 years or more depending on how adept the NARC was ..
Watch for traits in people you meet and follow your intuition . Better NO friends that victimizer friends . Look for clues .
Or not depending on circumstances . But fearing your own naivete , can be prudent too." safe than sorry" for aspies on their own, i think . 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 5:05 pm

BillyTree wrote:
To me, what's the core thing about narcissism is the fragile ego that the narcissistic people will protect and defend at all costs. They are prepared to hurt or even destroy you if that's what it takes. That can make narcisstic people very dangerous if you threathen their ego.

You mean like the same exact way a sizeable number of members of this site will lash out and rake others across the coals if you have the audacity to disagree with them, or hold them accountable? Or how about the way that all of their problems are actually someone else's fault, not theirs, and the world needs to change, not them?

Despite the tropes of the cliché suave preening self-obsessed narcissist, there are also narcissists who perpetually play the pity card, the eternal victim, who spin any criticism or accountability as an attack - narcissists who revel and wallow in their LACK of perfection (and how DARE you expect anything of them!), since that is the leverage they use to get others to do things for them, or to avoid having to do things for themselves.

Equally so, it is neither uncommon nor unheard-of for individuals with disabilities or other life difficulties to develop a persecution complex, and in the interest of "survival" they rationalize narcissistic behaviors as "survival" behaviors, with the excuse that they "had no choice".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 6:48 pm

BillyTree wrote:
From Healthline.com

No one's argued that differences don't exist. Narcissism is a single feature typical of autism. Pointing out that differential diagnosis allows for differentiation between ASD and NPD doesn't address the core point that narcissism is also typical of autism.

It's like arguing that because kids don't meet the criteria for NPD that narcissism isn't typical of children.

Your article is about differential diagnosis between ASD and NPD, not narcissism more broadly. You've already made this argument and I've already pointed out why it's flawed.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う