Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

20 May 2023, 2:10 pm

I hate cell phones altogether. It was years before I stopped being pissed off when someone took a call i n the middle of a conversation, but it's a good way to identify throwaway friends.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2023, 12:09 pm

I don't use them. My background's in tech, so this surprises some people, but there isn't a phone yet which will do what I want without it also doing a bunch of things I definitely don't want it doing, so I simply don't use one.

Does this piss some people off? Sure, but it's usually people whose opinions I don't give a crap about anyway (corporate sales reps etc), so no loss there.

Heck, I don't even answer my dumbphone. People can leave a message or text me, and I might get around to dealing with it in a day or two. Again, this might go counter to some people's expectations, but that's honestly their problem, not mine.

Neuromancer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 4:15 pm

I hate it too. So I let it home.

Mipstherio
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2023, 4:56 pm

I used to have Stupid app Called Ticktock, because I saw some cringe compilations. and it made me sign up on this app. during the pandemic 2019 I got really addicted to this app and staying up late mindlessly scrolling And letting algorithm Vomit out videos to me. After I find out negatives things about Ticktock, I ended up deleting my profile and the app for good reasons.

and later I heard about these short form videos will shorten your attention span because these videos are meant to be consumed For the masses.

And finally my phone got broken by Battery swelling and broken display input.
I kind of don't care about phones. they got pretty boring. :roll:

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:12 pm

I have one - but only need it to pay for laundry at my Apartment complex, so thats all I use it for. It OFF the rest of the time. I work in tech, which really means I don't need it. If anyone needs to reach me they can DM me, often times even more quickly than they could telephone anyway. I have a watch, if I need to know the time. I've never seen the need to take picture of my food or a spontaneous selfie.

Its available for emergencies, but I've never actually had one The last weather-related disaster we had took out cell service anyway :-)

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2023, 5:22 pm

xxSkull_Princessxx wrote:
I hate how I'm forced to carry that damned thing around with me when I go somewhere. I thought the whole point of going out was to get away from these rectangular slabs of glass, but I guess its not according to my family. I hate how addicted I used to be to it prior to last year. I hate how modern it makes me look despite me otherwise (and intentionally) looking like I walked out of a time machine from 2006 or so. I hate how boring it looks and feels compared to the cool looking phones you'd see in the 2000s. I hate everything about smartphones and I'm seriously considering destroying mine out of my anger towards it and to make a statement. It's an object that feels completely out of place in my life and does not spark joy for me. Grrrrr, I hate it with a burning passion. >:(

This is my personal rant on how much I hate having a smartphone and how I seriously want to go outside, grab a hammer, and proceed to smash it to pieces until it is completely irreparably damaged right now. Either that, or throw it and drown it in a lake. Better yet, if I had a paper shredder, I'd remove its case and drop it in there right now (hoping it doesn't damage the shredder, of course). It was a mistake of me to ever get one in the first place.

I could do a further rant as to how much I hate the modern world in general, but I'll end this one here.

Welcome to my party, sister. I hate the hypermodern world too.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2023, 6:32 am

I've never had a smartphone. I still can't use a touchscreen properly, don't know whether that's my fault or the designer's. Don't like the idea of carrying a device that tells snoopers where I am and what I'm doing. Don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for the rest of my life. Don't like the idea of being locked into a contract. Don't want another learning curve. I did quite a bit of work getting my computers to be fairly ad-proof and tracking-proof on the Web, and I don't want to have to do it all again on a device that's probably been designed to make it difficult.

I used to have a dumbphone that worked quite well. I'd just go to an ATM to put credit on it. I didn't use it much but it was handy when I was travelling to be able to contact people, and as it was pay-as-you-go, it was very cheap to run. It lasted many years, and when it finally became useless the world had moved on and I couldn't find anything as good. I tried one that was supposed to have been designed for people who don't want a smartphone, but it was awkward to use. The ATMs had stopped doing the top-up service so I had to go online on a computer to top it up. The phone didn't work in the USA and the providers rendered it permanently useless to punish me for not using it for 6 months. So they ended up with money from me that they hadn't earned. I looked into the idea of getting a Windows smartphone to make the changeover from a computer easier, but they'd stopped selling those. I researched a phone that was supposed to give the user proper control over tracking etc., but they'd stopped selling those too.

Clearly it's still possible to survive without a mobile phone of any kind, but I expect it'll get more difficult. Currently it seems to be more the Internet that's becoming indispensible for banking and even for finding stuff I want to buy - it's barely worth trying to buy things in real shops any more. The only shops that haven't closed down are only selling rubbish. There's still some protection in the UK for people who don't have access to the Web etc., but I don't know how long that will last.

It seems to be the way of the world. Having a car used to be a luxury but now public transport only takes me halfway to where I want to go, if it runs at all, and I have to walk the rest of the way. Privatised bus services are gradually axing the buses that don't make them enough profit, quite regardless of stranding people.

So I think smartphones are just one of many modern services that they're gradually making it impossible to do without.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jul 2023, 7:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
I've never had a smartphone. I still can't use a touchscreen properly, don't know whether that's my fault or the designer's. Don't like the idea of carrying a device that tells snoopers where I am and what I'm doing. Don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for the rest of my life. Don't like the idea of being locked into a contract. Don't want another learning curve. I did quite a bit of work getting my computers to be fairly ad-proof and tracking-proof on the Web, and I don't want to have to do it all again on a device that's probably been designed to make it difficult.

I used to have a dumbphone that worked quite well. I'd just go to an ATM to put credit on it. I didn't use it much but it was handy when I was travelling to be able to contact people, and as it was pay-as-you-go, it was very cheap to run. It lasted many years, and when it finally became useless the world had moved on and I couldn't find anything as good. I tried one that was supposed to have been designed for people who don't want a smartphone, but it was awkward to use. The ATMs had stopped doing the top-up service so I had to go online on a computer to top it up. The phone didn't work in the USA and the providers rendered it permanently useless to punish me for not using it for 6 months. So they ended up with money from me that they hadn't earned. I looked into the idea of getting a Windows smartphone to make the changeover from a computer easier, but they'd stopped selling those. I researched a phone that was supposed to give the user proper control over tracking etc., but they'd stopped selling those too.

Clearly it's still possible to survive without a mobile phone of any kind, but I expect it'll get more difficult. Currently it seems to be more the Internet that's becoming indispensible for banking and even for finding stuff I want to buy - it's barely worth trying to buy things in real shops any more. The only shops that haven't closed down are only selling rubbish. There's still some protection in the UK for people who don't have access to the Web etc., but I don't know how long that will last.

It seems to be the way of the world. Having a car used to be a luxury but now public transport only takes me halfway to where I want to go, if it runs at all, and I have to walk the rest of the way. Privatised bus services are gradually axing the buses that don't make them enough profit, quite regardless of stranding people.

So I think smartphones are just one of many modern services that they're gradually making it impossible to do without.

Smartphones are like a dumbed down PC and inferior to PCs in every way except for portability.

"But what about an emergency" they seem to be trading quality of life for safety. Same with privacy, supposedly to keep you safe. Until the killer robots use the same methods to spy on people.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 7:04 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Smartphones are like a dumbed down PC and inferior to PCs in every way except for portability.

That's exactly why I hate smartphones. The worst is trying to type on them. And being unable to scroll without touching (clicking) on the field you want to scroll. Every scroll registers a click. Touchscreens are horribly inaccurate.

We should pity to poor fools who use a smartphone or a tablet as their primary computing device.

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Aug 2023, 10:52 am

I like my smartphone. I enjoy its versatile range of functions, from internet browsing & communication to the ability to act as a GPS or even a flashlight.

I hate other people's smartphones though. They use them for watching Tik Toks.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 1:12 pm

Life was simpler with dumb phones.

Jargonaut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Aug 2023, 11:55 pm

I'm not fond of smartphones either. Sometimes I like to go out to hiking trails with a book and treat myself to a solo picnic. Whenever I do, my thoughts inevitable wander towards how nice it would be to just leave my phone somewhere in the mountains and forget about it. It's probably inevitable that it happens eventually.

Call me an elitist, but I think the Internet was a better place before it became so easy to access. Phone keyboards don't lend themselves to thoughtful writing. Not to mention how much more accessible we've become to the technological system. Privacy becomes more precious as the information network grows.

Also, I once met a professor who casually put "social media" in his list of existential dangers to humanity, right up there with AI, nuclear proliferation, and climate change. I found that very funny - but I'm also sympathetic to that viewpoint. With a smartphone and Internet-connected smartphone users, the mob can reach you anywhere.

Zorba
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Aug 2023, 9:23 pm

I too worked in High Tech my entire career - and I too have less than zero use for a smartphone. A horrid computer, and a mediocre phone that costs way too much. I have written HUGE rants on this subject, but I'll spare everyone the pain - including myself - and just say "no thank you". Completely un-necessary, completely crippled, and a nuisance to deal with.

I carry a Sonim XP3Plus rugged flip, that I have texting turned off on as that's a nuisance as well. Send me an email...

Everybody knows what the problems are with these things, yet still continue to pay huge money for them and integrate them into their lives. Its all about the PHOOOOOONNE!!

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 9:25 am

I have a smartphone but I have changed the way I use it, I am no longer constantly on it. I Have to use it for music when doing Yard Work, Daily 25-30Min Walk or because I broke a bone that goes to my ankle back in march music during Physical Therapy

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 6:48 pm

Dial1194 wrote:
I don't use them. My background's in tech, so this surprises some people, but there isn't a phone yet which will do what I want without it also doing a bunch of things I definitely don't want it doing, so I simply don't use one.
That doesn't surprise me at all. Some of the techiest people I've known were the least fans of smartphones.

Smartphones are content consumption devices, not content creation devices. The techy types would rather be creating code than consuming it.
xxSkull_Princessxx wrote:
I hate smartphones
You should get a BlackBerry. It will be easier to text when you have a physical keyboard.

I'mma gonna put in my tinfoil hat now and start conspiracy theorising. Most conspiracy theories are wrong so take this with a grain of salt.

They make modern smartphones with high quality screens and no physical keyboards because they want us to consume, not create.

Even Tim Cook said the average household only needs an iPad, not a laptop or a desktop. He said only professionals need laptops, not the average family. He wants iPads in schools and homes, not real computers. It seems like he doesn't want the average person to learn how code, that's why he wants them using iPads and iPhones, devices without physical keyboards.

You ever tried coding on a touchscreen? It's almost impossible. iPad and iPhone are flawed by design. Tim Cook wants to create a class system. The consumer class, using iDevices designed to make them into computer illiterates. The techorati class, carefully controlled under Tim Cook's thumb and giving him 30% of their revenue. And the Tim Cook class. A class with a single member, being the only person who isn't controlled by Tim Cook.

Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 11 Sep 2023, 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zorba
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2023, 7:05 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
That doesn't surprise me at all. Some of the techiest people I've known were the least fans of smartphones.

Smartphones are content consumption devices, not content creation devices.

This is all true. Most of my time online is spent either creating something, or doing research. I insist on having a real keyboard, at least one large display - my main system has three - a real mouse, and something besides the crippled excuse of an operating system that smartphones/tablets utilize.

I've been using, programming, designing, and building (from the component level) computers long before most people had ever seen one or knew what one was. The smartphone? "This ain't it!" A jack of all trades, and a master of none - except perhaps sucking money out of one's wallet. Smartphones are pretty good at siphoning money from their users. There isn't really much of the many things a smartphone can (kinda-sorta) do that cannot be done better - and usually far cheaper - with a dedicated device.