Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 7:30 am

KitLily wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s a shame there’s not enough time in a school day for sociology and philosophy classes. I think they would go a long way in promoting understanding and tolerance.

I agree!

We have Soc and Phil classes in high school.
I taught AP Phil.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 8:50 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
KitLily wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
It’s a shame there’s not enough time in a school day for sociology and philosophy classes. I think they would go a long way in promoting understanding and tolerance.

I agree!

We have Soc and Phil classes in high school.
I taught AP Phil.

Are any of those required or are they electives?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:06 am

This is a significant thread, a momentous event just happened :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:10 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Are any of those required or are they electives?

One credit is required in Soc and Humanities.
There are lots of course options in that category (Group 1)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:13 am

Here's Grade 12 Phil

https://www.ontariovirtualschool.ca/courses/hzt4u/

Soc

https://www.ontariovirtualschool.ca/courses/hsp3u/

World Religions

https://www.ontariovirtualschool.ca/courses/hrt3m/

* These are just a sample of Soc and Humanities courses available.
Some of the classes aren't available online but I thought the videos would be helpful.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 10:01 am

KitLily wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Rally is awesome.
Rather see that than go to the mall and shop.

Oh do you like rallying? It is indeed much better than shopping.

I do, doubt I ever get to see one in RL.
I’m a fan of old muscle cars and sports cars in general.I used to help my ex out when he was a mechanic, hand him tools etc…Rather do that than a trip to a beauty salon.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:22 am

Misslizard wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Oh do you like rallying? It is indeed much better than shopping.

I do, doubt I ever get to see one in RL.
I’m a fan of old muscle cars and sports cars in general.I used to help my ex out when he was a mechanic, hand him tools etc…Rather do that than a trip to a beauty salon.

Yes tbh I wouldn't go and watch a live rally, they are SO dangerous. A car can fly off the road at any point and take out anyone watching on the side of it. We have been to races at Brands Hatch and Thruxton in the past though and seen all sorts of cars and bikes, they were fun. We had to wrap up warm of course but it was so exciting. And we went to the Goodwood Festival of Speed once.

And! For my 30th birthday I got a rally lesson! I drove a rally car round the track at Brands Hatch! I was the slowest but I don't care! :lol:

I agree, I hate going to the hairdresser! Luckily I've found a nice hairdresser who doesn't talk much or ask stupid questions. But some in the past, OMG, stop talking to me!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:33 am

That's so cool! My dad and brother were really into car racing so I've been to lots. I don't know the names or categories and I hated them at the time because of sensory, but I remember going to the Daytona 500. There were others too.

My brother and his partner are still into Formula 1 so I've seen many of those races on TV.
It would be really cool to try it myself. I think I drive fast enough anyway. :)

I like muscle cars and sports cars if they're the old-school kind with no electronics.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:39 am

Oh yes I've watched and been to races since I met my husband in the 1990s. Our daughter grew up watching races on TV from birth. She often sat in her baby chair dozing in front of the TV while we watched races. Amazing how the sound of engines makes kids fall asleep :lol:

I do prefer motorbikes though, they are more exciting. I think cars are not enough for me anymore.

Even though now days they show zero motor racing on free TV, unlike they used to! We still find ways to watch it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 12:21 pm

After driving the back roads here I think I’d be good at rally. :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 1:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
After driving the back roads here I think I’d be good at rally. :D

You probably would! Back roads are basically rallies :lol:

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 5:13 pm

Growing up, I always felt like I was supposed to pick a side (girly or tomboy), stick to it and then hate the other side for some reason. Seems silly now.

I was picked on for being tomboyish, but I was also ridiculed whenever I tried to be more feminine because apparently I was being fake. There was no winning in that situation. Everything I did was apparently incorrect.

However, I do find it amusing that back then I was told "You're not feminine enough to be straight" and now that I'm openly gay it's switched to "You're not masculine enough to be gay". :lol: Never any winning, is there?

I like to refer to myself as a casual / soft femme if anyone asks. I think I lean towards presenting in a stereotypically feminine manner but I also have an androgynous side.

While girly and tomboy are socially constructed, I do not think that this reduces their value as labels. Many things in life are socially constructed, based on our perceptions of the world. There is no harm in someone identifying as a tomboy or a girly girl.

However, there is harm when this identity is used to degrade the other. When girly or feminine is seen as somehow lesser than the tomboyish choice. That's when it starts to become toxic. Or when the tomboyish choice is seen as improper, immature or unacceptable. That's not OK either.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 7:58 pm

I like lacy things but I also want to dig in the dirt.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 3:29 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
Growing up, I always felt like I was supposed to pick a side (girly or tomboy), stick to it and then hate the other side for some reason. Seems silly now.

I was picked on for being tomboyish, but I was also ridiculed whenever I tried to be more feminine because apparently I was being fake. There was no winning in that situation. Everything I did was apparently incorrect.

However, I do find it amusing that back then I was told "You're not feminine enough to be straight" and now that I'm openly gay it's switched to "You're not masculine enough to be gay". :lol: Never any winning, is there?

Oh I felt like that! Pick a side but I couldn't! Yes, we are never correct for 'society' are we.

Apparently I'm not feminine enough to be straight :lol: :lol: So when people find out I have a husband and daughter, they're pretty surprised :roll: :lol:

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 4:12 am

Quote:
While girly and tomboy are socially constructed, I do not think that this reduces their value as labels. Many things in life are socially constructed, based on our perceptions of the world. There is no harm in someone identifying as a tomboy or a girly girl.

i agree with this.there is nothing wrong with social constructs

i like driving buses and my car and some people ask why a straight & girly woman like me is so interested in driving a bus as a career they ask if im a lesbian or a tomboy but i say no but i understand if it may be mistaken for that
i love shopping sometimes my husbands friend will take me around the shops and i will buy some clothes or jewellery or makeup