Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 3:33 am

I have stopped shaving it, though I do trim some of it(armpit and down under hair as it can get a bit wild) so I like to trim it down a bit. But i do not do anything about my leg hair anymore and I am confident enough that I will wear shorts with fully visable leg hair. but it did take me an amount of time to work up to that.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 4:07 am

I learnt the hard way that if women go out with exposed leg hair we might as well be naked, as people will stare, ridicule and even be afraid of you.

When I was at school I never shaved my legs and so I exposed hairy legs in gym. Up until I was 16 I thought it was a personal choice to shave your legs, I didn't know it was a gender obligation. So when I caught two girls whispering and pointing to my legs I suddenly felt ashamed and embarrassed and kind of wished the girls in my gym class had let me know sooner.

I sometimes have bad dreams of going out in public with exposed unshaved legs, just like those bad dreams you get of going out in public naked.

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 4:33 am

I don't like body hair on myself. I do what I can to be rid.of.it.

If other people want t o have body hair that's ok. People should be able to do what they like with their own body.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 5:35 am

Well NTs of western culture can switch off their judgement if a human with hairy legs exposed has male sex organs, but if a human with hairy legs exposed has female sex organs then they freak out and is the end of civilization.

But I suppose we as a society rely on social constructs so I do see their point as well.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 1:19 pm

I shave, wax, and pluck.

I hate having body hair. Good luck to you if you choose to let it grow out though.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2023, 1:40 pm

I shave my underarms but I don't shave my legs. Unless I'm wearing tights. Otherwise I just leave them. I do get some judgement but it doesn't faze me.

People are going to find fault for all kinds of trivial reasons, so I figure I might as well just do what feels right.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 8:45 am

I don't shave or remove any body hair, though I also don't wear shorts or skirts, or sleeveless tops, so it's not visible except to my partner, and I don't currently have one. But my past partners had no problem with it and even liked it.

I do wear capri pants without socks, so I suppose it's a little visible sometimes, but I don't try to hide it.

xxSkull_Princessxx
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jun 2023, 4:47 pm

I hate having body hair. I shave it off almost daily. Maybe someday I can get laser hair removal, especially since I'm the ideal candidate for the procedure (fair skin with dark hair).

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 5:36 pm

I know I'm FtM trans so this doesn't really apply to me, but people still often view me as female so I'm still sometimes affected by choosing to not shave. I don't shave anything anymore and I get stared at sometimes. Since I've cut my hair though people in public just think I'm a teenage boy, but I still get weird looks from new coworkers because I wear shorts and have really hairy arms and legs, and they usually know I'm not male. lmaooo

I've never minded having body hair even when I used to shave, I just felt pressured to do it. I actually like body hair on other people and don't even mind it on women. I don't really get why so many people shave (I know it's for societal reasons, but it still baffles me). I can't imagine most women enjoy doing it and it's a huge waste of money and time if you don't want to do it.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 7:48 pm

I am very frustrated with the "gender obligation" (as Jo put it well). Too many cuts and too much anxiety for me. I am hairy for a person of European descent (high normal). Now in my 50s my leg and arm hair has lessened (so I am no longer shaving my legs and only occasionally my armpits), but my facial hair has increased. Sometimes children will comment on it and an immigrant child (9yo?) had the ignorance or gall to touch my face and say "you are like a man". Now I watch my 12yo ASD daughter struggling with it. She is part Native American so has darker hair than I (hopfeully not as much given our cultural standards). She knows it's her "choice" and all the manners of hair removal. It's already increased her anxiety tons. Awful gender rules. :evil:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 4:29 pm

Nothing.

I don't like being exposed to such places. Yes, this includes wearing something short and I don't like sleeveless.

So I didn't bother with it.
Shaving and potentially giving myself a very shallow cut that may never go away due to constant exposure or movement that will itch or get irritated easily isn't worth it.
Or weeks long of itchiness due to the growing recently cut hair...

A troublesome maintenance that will give me more sensory distraction is an even more reason for me to never having to bother with it.

At best, I'd trim just for the heck of it. Maybe wax for fun.
But if there's a permanent option, I'd take it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 9:04 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Well NTs of western culture can switch off their judgement if a human with hairy legs exposed has male sex organs, but if a human with hairy legs exposed has female sex organs then they freak out and is the end of civilization.

But I suppose we as a society rely on social constructs so I do see their point as well.

That is the part that sucks, some people probably would freak out about it, I have not had that happen yet, then again my visible leg hair is below my knee which is not generally where people look initially if they look in a persons direction, all the hair on my knee and above is very short and light colored so it's hard to see. I still have not worn sleeveless shirts out with my arm-pit hair but am working up to it, but yeah that will be much more noticable than the leg hair so people having negative reactions does make me a bit nervous. But also its going to be hot this summer and why shouldn't I wear a sleevless shirt just because I have some trimmed fuzz on my arm-pit.

I guess I hope more women going out with body hair can help normalize it, so that provides some motivation even if I am nervous about it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2023, 9:09 pm

xxSkull_Princessxx wrote:
I hate having body hair. I shave it off almost daily. Maybe someday I can get laser hair removal, especially since I'm the ideal candidate for the procedure (fair skin with dark hair).

Fair enough I think the important thing is it being your choice, like you shouldn't feel obligated to remove it for other people, but if you personally do not like it's just as valid to want to remove it as it is to want to keep it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 12:23 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
xxSkull_Princessxx wrote:

Fair enough I think the important thing is it being your choice, like you shouldn't feel obligated to remove it for other people, but if you personally do not like it's just as valid to want to remove it as it is to want to keep it.

I remember when I was 15 I was wearing shorts with unshaven leg hair showing. I went to a friend's house one day who had little brothers and sisters, and after I came home my friend's mum phoned my mum, expressing concern about me going around in shorts with unshaved hair and that she was concerned about her little ones seeing it, like it was rude or inappropriate or something.

That's how much of a fuss my culture makes about a female with unshaven body hair, it's a huge deal and in a way we don't have a choice unless we really don't care about ridicule. But I don't like being ridiculed.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 1:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:

I guess I hope more women going out with body hair can help normalize it, so that provides some motivation even if I am nervous about it.
I think that's great. Even though as I said in my previous post I generally conceal my body hair that I do not shave or trim. It's a tough choice because I don't want to invite comments or looks. But I also wish it could be normalized.

When I was young it was such an effort to try to shave to be socially acceptable. Wearing a bathing suit was kinda hellish, because shaving in that area is so uncomfortable and the hairs often grow back ingrown or create blood blisters. I just hated the upkeep. I think going to a nude beach would have been easier because having body hair when you are naked seems more acceptable than having it show when you are clothed. (And although I don't shave my armpits, if I was going to wear something like a sleeveless evening gown I would, because I think it's in keeping with the outfit.) If I had to go to the beach now I would swim in shorts worn over my bathing suit. Because while armpit hair can be forgiven, the hair below is not, ever.

But even though I did shave my legs when I was young, though only below the knee, I still got comments sometimes at school when I was wearing shorts for gym class. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that anymore because it was a constant effort and worry.

On the other hand, I was wearing capri pants at work, years ago, with some leg hair showing, and a co-worker who was a lesbian was really happy and felt supported by my choice. So it can be positive too.

And can we mention another kind of hair: facial hair. I am Italian. I feel I have to bleach my mustache. I also pluck any mustache hairs that are darker or just got missed by the bleach. I wish I could just not do that, but that is a really big taboo. I think women who were more concerned about looking just right than I am would wax their mustache hair. I wouldn't because of the pain, but also I don't understand what one would do between waxings? The hair has to grow out enough that the wax can grab onto it, so just before waxing there would be visible hair, and it would be stubble which looks even worse. That goes for any body part that one might wax. (?)

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 10:13 am

@bee33, thanks for sharing details. My daughter has dark hair and is in middle school and in a conforming stage big time (including neutral clothing colors). I have blonde hair so I don't know all the options. For facial hair, I have suggested waxing and lotion but did not know about bleaching. For other areas, a friend recently suggested electric razor and I have a home laser hair-removal kit. As for the permanent removal, what if social norms changed or she wanted hair later in life? As if?