Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 7:02 pm

So for ADHD in particular, the issues stem from a shortage of two particular brain chemicals, one of which is dopamine.

Which is why stimulants tend to be such a big help for individuals with ADHD.

But what about for individuals with both ADHD and autism? (Sometimes called AuDHD) Are meds still going to be helpful for AuDHD people?

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 7:13 pm

I do not have ADHD;
Experience tells me -- it's internal regulation.

Quality of sleep or a very successful meditation session were the only things I can anecdotally find.

Don't need a 'boost' like those with ADHD -- that's not how it works in my case.
In fact it made mine worse. Being 'more awake' somewhere in the head seems is not the solution.

It's more like... I need this ability to consolidate and process inputs faster and more efficiently.
Basically not having traffic jams in the head, and actually take it all in like a sponge.

If only I know another way to keep it that way, other than not adding anything else preoccupying any feeling, any sensation or any thought in a quantative sense -- basically, true one minded focus.

In my own case, mine might be related to oxygen intake and blood flow -- related to whatever conditions I have and is directly affecting my sleep quality.
There are times when blood thinning meds like aspirin suddenly works for me.
But there are times it doesn't and made it worse.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 7:33 pm

I have ASD and ADHD. Sorry, I hate that term AuDHD.

I was on Vyvanse for three years and it did nothing for my EF at all. I still felt autistic af, and maybe even more so because my thoughts were going faster on the stimulant. I stayed on it because it allowed me to wake up in the daytime instead of feeling the effects of chronic insomnia. I wasn't exactly jacked up on it, but just "normal" instead of feeling crushing fatigue like the rest of my life.

A month ago I asked for a med switch but that's complicated for be because I have a heart condition and a history of strokes. I'm not allowed the Meth family or the Straterra family because they raise blood pressure. I was given Intuniv to use in addition to Vyvanse. Intuniv is a non-stimulant ADHD med made for autistic children with ADHD. It seems to help, kind of. It's a lot better than Vyvanse on its own but I'm still dealing with poor EF from ASD and ADHD combined. Most ADHD meds aren't marketed for autistic people but Intuniv was the best I could find, or be allowed to use.