Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 2:49 pm

How do we, this "small" online group of "Aspies", go about creating network(s) for autistic People, and/or improving and bolstering the ones that already exist? Seems many of us are in dire need of support/a support network, and surely it would benefit us greatly to at least explore this idea here.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 10:07 pm

A topic dear to my heart.

We need as many of us as possible to build groups of autistic people in our local areas. The kinds of groups we need include, among others:

- General support groups.
- General social groups.
- Self-help groups devoted to learning what I call Autistic-friendly social skills (as distinct from blending in with NT's).
- Groups of autistic people who share specific hobbies/interests. These would probably be among the best places for us to find potential friends.
- Groups of autistic people who work, or want to work, in specific categories of professions/occupations/jobs. (For more about this idea, including examples, see Autistic Workers Project.)
- Groups for autistic people in various marginalized demographics.
- Political activist/advocacy groups.

For more of my thoughts on this matter, see Longterm visions for the autistic community.

If you are interested in building or helping to build one of these groups yourself, feel free to participate in chat meetings of the Autistic Peer Leadership Group (APLeG).

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 3:23 am

I like the idea of helping other people in our community. Not sure how I could help.

One thing I know I would find useful is a list.books by autistic authors. Especially those focused on living as an adult with autism. Though it would be great to see people's creative works.also.

All of.mona pereth's ideas are great.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2023, 5:12 am

Winters Gate wrote:
One thing I know I would find useful is a list.books by autistic authors. Especially those focused on living as an adult with autism.

For a while now, I've been meaning to put together such a list of books, or at least a list of authors of such books.

If you would like to help me put together that list, feel free to PM me.

I should perhaps also revive this thread of mine here on WP. Everyone, feel free to post book recommendations there.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 9:16 am

Winters Gate wrote:
I like the idea of helping other people in our community. Not sure how I could help.

One thing I know I would find useful is a list.books by autistic authors. Especially those focused on living as an adult with autism. Though it would be great to see people's creative works.also.

All of.mona pereth's ideas are great.

Sometimes all it takes is showing up. The local group accidentally saved my marriage and I think I might have saved a life years ago just by being a nonjudgmental ear and walking the student to counseling.

I think sometimes we understand just how much we contribute to the world just by existing.

Also, you can always start a meetup or put up a sign at a table at the library.