Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 2:05 pm

I was just thinking of that iconic scene in Sixteen Candles. I can relate too well.

(Around 2:20)

Anyone else?

I dreaded going to a family reunion because I knew what it would entail.

I can remember specific relatives staring at my chest and saying “You’re becoming quite a woman!” Stuff like that. It was such a relief when ALL family members had seen and finished commenting on my transformation.

And my mom thought it was okay to discuss when I got my period with female relatives. I just wanted my privacy and regretted telling my mom about it.

The most awkward thing about puberty, for me, was on other people.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 14 Jun 2023, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 2:57 pm

8O I would have been horrified!

My relatives never made comments regarding my chest. However, I was a late bloomer in that department and my chest is fairly small. People at school poked fun about me being flat but it didn't bother me. I did get a fair amount of remarks about my height from family members though. Such as "If you grow anymore, you'll never find a man!" or "You should wear mini skirts more often / short dresses to show off your legs!", and "You should avoid wearing heels, otherwise the boys will find you intimidating!"

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 3:04 pm

^ Those comments are gross, too. 8O

I was fairly well-developed at 12 or 13 which led to all sorts of awkwardness.

For one thing, my dad quit hugging me because he didn’t want to come in contact with my boobs. :roll: He was already emotionally constipated, but my boobs seemed to be the final straw.

I think breasts need to be less sexualized but people still need to be respectful of boundaries - treating females like normal human beings sort of stuff. My breasts at 13/14 weren’t any different from my breasts at 21.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 3:56 pm

I remember my mother thinking it was cute when my brother's voice began to break and go squeaky for a bit. I've always wondered what that feels like to have your voice break like that.

I started getting hard lumps where my nipples are when I was 11, which is about average I think. They were my breasts beginning to grow. I used to worry about how big my breasts were going to get, as my mum had big breasts, but she reassured me that I'd probably take after my dad's side of the family, where all the females had small breasts. And she was right. My breasts stopped growing again after I was like 12. Hardly worth it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 4:04 pm

Do they say that to boys with boobies too?

I might have had to hit someone if they said that to me or my daughter.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2023, 6:30 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Do they say that to boys with boobies too?

I might have had to hit someone if they said that to me or my daughter.

Nope, in my family, it was reserved for young women only. Due to those comments, I remember feeling so uncomfortable before going to a family reunion that I wore a tight sports bra to make them look smaller. I've always really valued my privacy. Offline anyway. :lol:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 2:15 am

I didn't even want my mother to know I got my period. I tried to wash my underwear in the bathroom sink but blood is very hard to wash out, so she saw them in the hamper anyway. My parents were supportive but it was just embarrassing to exist as a female. I think things have gotten better.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 9:19 am

I wasn't embarrassed to tell my mum I'd started my periods. I remember coming downstairs crying and asking my mum to check my underwear to confirm. She was very supportive, which I knew she would be.

I felt embarrassed talking about periods around my dad and my brother and other males, but not any more. I know that periods are just a natural thing.