Refering to females as "ladies" is dangerous in workplace

Page 5 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 5:58 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^^ My dad always acts like his anger over inconsequential matters is justified and that other people are wrong.

It's not just about how he acts, it's about how the people around him respond.

If he's immediately the undisputed victim when he puts on the waterworks, he probably counts. If he's just seen as some angry guy having a tantrum he most certainly doesn't.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:00 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
^^ My dad always acts like his anger over inconsequential matters is justified and that other people are wrong.

If he's immediately the undisputed victim when he puts on the waterworks, he probably counts. If he's just seen as some angry guy having a tantrum he most certainly doesn't.

Okay, so in the future, I will make sure to consult you if I ever wonder if something "counts" or not on this topic. Good to know. :wtg:

(I edited my previous comment by the way.)

This argument is utterly absurd. People can be jackasses no matter their gender. I can't say that I've experienced much in the way of privilege as a middle-aged, white woman compared to the white men in my life.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

But are "Karens" the undisputed victims when they put on their waterworks and have tantrums? It seems like that's their goal when the situation is something blown way out of proportion or of course if they make it about race and gender or class etc., but that's not how they're received overall. I'm not big into social media or even going out in the real world to witness these spectacles, but isn't the whole point of "Karen" that people mock them and laugh? I didn't think they were viewed as victims in any circumstance except their own eyes.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:24 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

But are "Ka*ns" the undisputed victims when they put on their waterworks and have tantrums? It seems like that's their goal when the situation is something blown way out of proportion or of course if they make it about race and gender or class etc., but that's not how they're received overall. I'm not big into social media or even going out in the real world to witness these spectacles, but isn't the whole point of "Ka*n" that people mock them and laugh? I didn't think they were viewed as victims in any circumstance except their own eyes.

That is typically how it works, they win over the immediate audience.

Not every attempt is going to succeed though.

Social media certainly changes the calculus, because there's the immediate audience and there's the much broader audience it eventually reaches. Winning over other people present at the time doesn't mean the internet will approve, but usually people aren't planning things out on that scale when they're being entitled.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

But are "Ka*ns" the undisputed victims when they put on their waterworks and have tantrums? It seems like that's their goal when the situation is something blown way out of proportion or of course if they make it about race and gender or class etc., but that's not how they're received overall. I'm not big into social media or even going out in the real world to witness these spectacles, but isn't the whole point of "Ka*n" that people mock them and laugh? I didn't think they were viewed as victims in any circumstance except their own eyes.

How about you and I go to Walmart and test it out?

We could complain about the restroom being closed for cleaning. They always are.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:38 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
This argument is utterly absurd. People can be jackasses no matter their gender. I can't say that I've experienced much in the way of privilege as a middle-aged, white woman compared to the white men in my life.

I've tried to be pretty clear that I'm not talking about randos who lose their s**t in public, I'm focusing on the meaning discussed in those articles, people who engage in this:

Quote:
This strategy is weaponised when a white woman uses this visible sadness or distress to portray themselves as a victim in a conflict situation, often derailing the actual argument and leading to the vilification of Black people.

I'm not sure what your entire argument with me even has to do with that meaning. You don't challenge it as a valid meaning, you just pivot away from it back to the more widespread one despite me trying to make it clear that was the only meaning I was interested in.

There's going to be a need to label that sort of behaviour and the people who engage in it for as long as people who engage in it exist. I don't care what label is applied to it, but as long as it exists, it will need a shorthand way to describe it.

funeralxempire wrote:
What's wrong with having negative views of racist white women? We should be hostile towards women who seek to use the damsel in distress card to cause problems for members of minority groups going about their day-to-day lives.

Remember, ^ that's where the entire argument began, that's what you're being hostile towards.

Last edited by funeralxempire on 24 Jun 2023, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:41 pm

^ I disagree. We don’t need racial slurs; we don’t need gender slurs.

All genders are capable of that behavior. Stating otherwise is sexist.

I’m being hostile towards sexist ideology. It’s not needed on WP.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:43 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

How exactly can men receive protection by playing to a sexist trope that women are delicate and need protected? :chin:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:48 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:

How exactly can men receive protection by playing to a sexist trope that women are delicate and need protected? :chin:

I didn’t say they did.

I’m saying that they often exhibit the same behavior as so-called karens do (I’ve seen it in action), so we don’t need to use the sexist slur.

I can’t say that the so-called karens I’ve seen on YouTube fit that trope either. :chin:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:50 pm

I think when white men do racist rants they're called rednecks.
If they're well dressed or look like they have money they're called aholes.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:53 pm

as*hole is a nice, gender neutral term. Let’s stick with that. :lol:

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 24 Jun 2023, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:53 pm

I was going to suggest it. ^

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 6:54 pm

Karen is out; as*hole is in. Woot!

I’m too tired to turn this into an innuendo.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 7:11 pm

I guess we've solved the WWT strategy by decree. I hope the real world notices.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 7:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I guess we've solved the WWT strategy by decree. I hope the real world notices.

Are you all figments of my imagination?

I don’t give a f**k about what the majority thinks. The majority of kids worldwide experience corporal punishment. It doesn’t make it right.

Argumentum ad numerum or something like that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2023, 7:31 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I don’t give a f**k about what the majority thinks. The majority of kids worldwide experience corporal punishment. It doesn’t make it right.

The real world usually is relevant when discussing problems that happen in the real world. :nerdy: