Characters whose autistic traits you relate to

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2023, 12:05 am

Are there any fictional characters (canonically autistic or not) who have autistic traits that you find especially relatable?

This is a slightly obscure one, but Toft from the Moomin chapter books reminds me of myself when I was growing up. He doesn't relate to the other characters, he obsesses over books, and he feels so fundamentally different from others that he starts to worry that he must be somehow dangerous to them.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 1:30 am

DW from the children's show Arthur reminds me very much of me when I was little.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 1:59 am

the dog bitzer from shaun the sheep

PepponiSpaghetti
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2023, 9:17 am

I don't know if it is canon that he has ASD, but Maurice Moss from The IT Crowd (I know, Graham Linehan is an awful person but I like the show anyways) was always someone I related to a lot growing up. It was the first time I saw someone like me in the media.

The second is probably Abed Nadir from Community, specifically how he relates everything in his life to movies or TV shows. I actually realized I might be on the spectrum when I was doing that while talking to a co-worker who is a psychologist. They stopped me and asked if I'd ever considered that I might have ASD.

CopingNavyBrat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2023, 11:29 am

Commander Data from Star Trek: TNG. Being both human and not human resonates. I particularly like the episodes where he's trying to understand some human behavior and learn it, because deep down the human part of him wants to belong and fit in.

PepponiSpaghetti
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2023, 11:36 am

CopingNavyBrat wrote:
Commander Data from Star Trek: TNG. Being both human and not human resonates. I particularly like the episodes where he's trying to understand some human behavior and learn it, because deep down the human part of him wants to belong and fit in.

Yes, I can't believe I forgot about Data!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 11:40 am

Yes, Moss and Data spring to mind.

Hm...who else. I don't relate to Quinnie from Heartbreak High, she seems rather too excitable.

Not a character, but the autistic actor Joe Thomas is very relatable, especially the puzzled expressions he makes at everything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 8:01 pm

The character Alex Plank portrayed in "The Good Doctor".  He inadvertently mirrored a lot of my own behavior.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 8:05 pm

Lucy Snowe from Villette, Charlotte Brontë

Psychological realism at its finest, by an ASD and PTSD brain.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2023, 8:06 pm

KitLily wrote:

Hm...who else. I don't relate to Quinnie from Heartbreak High, she seems rather too excitable.

Not a character, but the autistic actor Joe Thomas is very relatable, especially the puzzled expressions he makes at everything.

The same Joe Thomas in the Inbetweeners? 8O

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2023, 10:38 pm

I love Data.

I think my favorite thing about him is, lots of not-quite-human characters in science fiction have disdain for humanity, but Data is in love with humanity. He wants to not only learn as much about them as possible, but also experience the things they experience. Even the most mundane human experiences are magical to him. Something about this is very life-affirming and charming. Watching him enjoy humanity makes me enjoy being a human more

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 6:07 am

"Bones" from the TV show of the same name.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 8:32 am

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, that Joe. He's autistic. If you see him in real life as he really is, he's totally autistic and open about it. I don't watch Taskmaster but apparently how he is on that show is his real self. He also can't stand looking people in the eye when he's interviewed, he talks about that as well.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 8:37 am

Jaime the Robot, in "Get Smart".

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 12:05 pm

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Yes, that Joe. He's autistic. If you see him in real life as he really is, he's totally autistic and open about it. I don't watch Taskmaster but apparently how he is on that show is his real self. He also can't stand looking people in the eye when he's interviewed, he talks about that as well.

Wow, I would have never guessed in a million years that he was autistic. I thought Simon Bird (the actor who played Wil) was maybe on the spectrum, as he seems geeky in all the things he stars in like Friday Night Dinner. But I guess that is being stereotypical, as not all autistic people are geeks.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2023, 12:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Wow, I would have never guessed in a million years that he was autistic. I thought Simon Bird (the actor who played Wil) was maybe on the spectrum, as he seems geeky in all the things he stars in like Friday Night Dinner. But I guess that is being stereotypical, as not all autistic people are geeks.

He's just a very good actor I suppose. I don't think he's geeky, particularly?

I've never watched the Inbetweeners, the only show I've seen Joe in is We Are Not Alone where he plays an alien. But if you see him on talk shows where he's just himself, he really struggles with looking people in the eye and sometimes with understanding what's going on socially. e.g. he was on Would I Lie To You, I don't think he really understood what was happening in that show. He said he doesn't really understand lying.