Ian Malcom from Jurassic Park
Peter Quill from Guardians of the Galaxy
Buster Baxter and D.W. Read from Arthur
Ramona Quimby from the Beverly Clearly series
Bell from the Disney animated version of Beauty & the Beast
Elsa from Frozen
Lilo from Lilo & Stich (Stich too)
The entire Membrane family and Zim from Invader Zim
The entire Murry family (aside from the twins Sandy and Dennis) from the book version of a Wrinkle in Time

Suicidal_Vampire
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2023, 2:33 pm

Bernad Black from Blacks Books.
Rimmer from Red Dwarf. "Do you have some sort of mental disorder where you can't tell nobody is interested in what you're saying?" (not exact quote, but he's super autistic, trust me)
Abed Nadir, from Community of course
Reagan Ridley (Inside Job)
Donatello (ROTTMNT)
ParaNorman
I literally named myself after Moss, from IT Crowd. (Everyone thinks it's the plant)
Dan from Dan vs. has shades of this, but I most relate to his anger issues. Revenge is his special interest, and his empathy is confused.
Chidi from the Good Place.
Also, that kid from Ghostbuster's Afterlife (Phoebe) who looks like me, but white.

"Really? I'd like to meet him."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 8:38 pm

Sgt Schultz from Hogan's Heroes due to my poor emotional regulation skills.

Om Nom from Cut the Rope because of his very narrow interests, candy in his case and the cute way he stims with his arms in the opening of each episode in the first season of Om Nom Stories.

Aet1985
Raven
Raven

23 Sep 2023, 11:36 pm

I don't know if the character of George on Seinfeld is on the spectrum or not, but I can relate to him

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 6:10 pm

jvbradley wrote:
I'm also a fan of Abed Nadir from "Community," and Data from "Star Trek: The Next Generation." Caleb from the show "Big Mouth" is very amusing.

The actor Christopher Lloyd has played a couple of characters from out in left field to which I can relate: Dr. Emmett Brown from the "Back to the Future" movies is awesome for being highly technical and intelligent, but still lacking in social graces. The Reverend Jim "Iggy" Ignatowski[/url] from "Taxi" was hilarious to me as a character.

In the 'Back to the Future' movies, Dr. Emmett Brown, and George McFly seem to be on the Autism Spectrum.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 6:16 pm

Dexter. Not the needing to appease his “dark passenger”, but his general interaction with people, especially his girlfriend. Also his inner monologue.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2024, 5:00 am

Elgee wrote:
I love "The Good Doctor."

I've only just started watching this. So far it's excellent. As an autistic person I identify with so many of Sean Murphy's characteristics, in either a major or a minor way.

If I had one criticism of the show, it is that so far, with the exception of Dr. Glassman, all the other main characters seem ridiculously shallow, vain and stupid. In my experience, all neurotypicals aren't quite that bad!

There is a God.

ElmersTrueLove
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Apr 2024, 8:41 am

Swampy from Where's My Water

Elmer's wife since 2022

.。*゚+.*.。 ゚+..。*゚+

flat_affect
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Apr 2024, 11:27 pm

JamesW wrote:
Elgee wrote:

I've only just started watching this. So far it's excellent. As an autistic person I identify with so many of Sean Murphy's characteristics, in either a major or a minor way.

If I had one criticism of the show, it is that so far, with the exception of Dr. Glassman, all the other main characters seem ridiculously shallow, vain and stupid. In my experience, all neurotypicals aren't quite that bad!

I like this show, as well. I can usually relate to one or two traits in most autistic characters and Dr. Murphy is no exception. Also I liked when Alex played Javier Maldonado in season two. The way he clasps his hands together and rubs/pulls his fingers is something I've done all my life.

Also, I think they did a good job of developing the most shallow/egocentric characters, Dr. Melendez and Dr. Andrews. By season three, it becomes apparent that there is more to those two characters than was originally revealed.

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2024, 2:16 am

flat_affect wrote:
JamesW wrote:
Elgee wrote:

I like this show, as well. I can usually relate to one or two traits in most autistic characters and Dr. Murphy is no exception. Also I liked when Alex played Javier Maldonado in season two. The way he clasps his hands together and rubs/pulls his fingers is something I've done all my life.

Also, I think they did a good job of developing the most shallow/egocentric characters, Dr. Melendez and Dr. Andrews. By season three, it becomes apparent that there is more to those two characters than was originally revealed.

That's good to hear. I'm definitely staying with the show.

One thing I love is Sean's use of logical explanations. That's me. I wish I'd had someone there to tell me 'You're right, but don't say it out loud. It'll only upset people.' Well, now I've got Sean!

There is a God.

flat_affect

19 Apr 2024, 5:50 pm

JamesW wrote:
That's good to hear. I'm definitely staying with the show.

One thing I love is Sean's use of logical explanations. That's me. I wish I'd had someone there to tell me 'You're right, but don't say it out loud. It'll only upset people.' Well, now I've got Sean!

Yeah, I think we all would have liked to have a coach/mentor to warn us when we were about to say something inappropriate!

Harmonie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2024, 11:00 am

My inability to read other people extends to characters. I can't tell you that I trust my own judgement. But the first character that comes to mind is Raymond Holt from Brooklyn 99. He expresses himself very differently from everyone else. He has an interest in classical music that I relate with.

There's this episode where the crew goes on a trip and Holt initially isn't invited, but he is brought along in the end. It "ruins" everyone's fun, because (the whole he's the boss dynamic is there, but beyond that) he doesn't interact or express in the ways that the others do and thus they try to form their own party downstairs, excluding him while a couple of characters unhappily take turns going up stairs and entertaining him. He's the one who never gets invited for reasons like this and I feel it, that's me.

At one point it shows him playing and speaking of a Baroque recorder piece much to dismay of the other characters up with him. Early Music and wind instruments are perhaps my largest "hyperfocus" interest so I adore it. Ray doesn't understand that the others don't get it. :(

In another episode, he talks about a job guarding what he says is a celebrity, something the main character (Jake) gets really excited about and find ways to get in on the job. It turns out that the celebrity is a professional oboist and Jake is deflated. Doesn't think that "celebrity" is an appropriate word for a professional oboist at all and the cast aside from Ray are all rather demeaning about it. Once again, Ray gets singled out, for his interest and the way he speaks of it that is completely foreign to the rest of the cast. :(

I don't know if I'm reading the character properly, but I can relate with him in so many ways!

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2024, 5:13 pm

Joe90 wrote:
DW from the children's show Arthur reminds me very much of me when I was little.

Same here! D.W. was my favorite character I never understood why everyone seems to hate her. But then people also hate on Muffin Heeler from Bluey who is kind of like D.W., just a 3 year old still learning how to master her emotions. I relate a lot of Muffin too but she doesn't have many...if any episodes focusing on her perspective of things; but then the show is called Bluey, not Muffin.

I'm in a LOT of Rocket Raccoon Twitter and Discord groups and I do not think a single person in any of them is NT. He does seem to attract a lot of autistic people. I found him relatable due to his trauma history and the fact he's a brassy big mouth.