Page 2 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:30 am

KitLily wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Yes, that Joe. He's autistic. If you see him in real life as he really is, he's totally autistic and open about it. I don't watch Taskmaster but apparently how he is on that show is his real self. He also can't stand looking people in the eye when he's interviewed, he talks about that as well.

Wow, I would have never guessed in a million years that he was autistic. I thought Simon Bird (the actor who played Wil) was maybe on the spectrum, as he seems geeky in all the things he stars in like Friday Night Dinner. But I guess that is being stereotypical, as not all autistic people are geeks.

He's just a very good actor I suppose. I don't think he's geeky, particularly?

I've never watched the Inbetweeners, the only show I've seen Joe in is We Are Not Alone where he plays an alien. But if you see him on talk shows where he's just himself, he really struggles with looking people in the eye and sometimes with understanding what's going on socially. e.g. he was on Would I Lie To You, I don't think he really understood what was happening in that show. He said he doesn't really understand lying.

I've always thought he was cute, and I've never fancied an Aspie before (as in knowing someone is an Aspie). :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
He's just a very good actor I suppose. I don't think he's geeky, particularly?

I've never watched the Inbetweeners, the only show I've seen Joe in is We Are Not Alone where he plays an alien. But if you see him on talk shows where he's just himself, he really struggles with looking people in the eye and sometimes with understanding what's going on socially. e.g. he was on Would I Lie To You, I don't think he really understood what was happening in that show. He said he doesn't really understand lying.

I've always thought he was cute, and I've never fancied an Aspie before (as in knowing someone is an Aspie). :lol:

Oh I hope I haven't spoilt your image of Joe Thomas! :lol:

Yes, I think he's really cute. He made a really cute alien with blue make up.

I think he's even cuter when he's being himself and not acting. I have seen clips of Taskmaster and he's always so astonished by everything and gets sudden realisations about things. 'Oh! Is that what I'm supposed to do!' and you can see the light dawning on his face. :heart:

I expect acting is his way of fitting in with the world and knowing what to say and do.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 6:55 am

I looked up Joe Thomas (I had never heard of him) and watched him on Would I Lie To You and found him very charming and sweet, and he did seem a bit befuddled, but I did not find that I could relate to him as being similar to me.

I can't think of any character in any TV show or movie (though I rarely watch movies) that I can relate to, autistic or not.

Once we (my sister, nephew, and I) were playing at which character in Modern Family are you, and the closest one I could come up with was the boyfriend of the oldest daughter (Dylan, I think), because he is lost and confused and a bit detached from life and from knowing how to live in the world. (Although he is dumb and I am quite smart, if I say so myself.)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 7:13 am

bee33 wrote:
I looked up Joe Thomas (I had never heard of him) and watched him on Would I Lie To You and found him very charming and sweet, and he did seem a bit befuddled, but I did not find that I could relate to him as being similar to me.

I can't think of any character in any TV show or movie (though I rarely watch movies) that I can relate to, autistic or not.

Once we (my sister, nephew, and I) were playing at which character in Modern Family are you, and the closest one I could come up with was the boyfriend of the oldest daughter (Dylan, I think), because he is lost and confused and a bit detached from life and from knowing how to live in the world. (Although he is dumb and I am quite smart, if I say so myself.)

I know what you mean, when I said Data and Moss previously, they are far too scientific and computery for me to relate to them. I know nothing about science and computers.

I need to find an autistic person ***AS IN A FICTIONAL CHARACTER OR PERHAPS A CELEBRITY*** who loves words, spelling, grammar, correcting text, for me to relate to them. I've always had hyperlexia, same as my mum and daughter.

Yes, what you said about Joe Thomas describes him perfectly. He didn't really understand what was happening on Would I Lie To You, did he. :heart: The only way I relate to him is that he's very intelligent, he has degrees, but he has no clue about social interaction or what's happening around him. That's the same as me. I don't think I'm as gullible as he is though.

Last edited by KitLily on 02 Jul 2023, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 8:13 am

KitLily wrote:
I need to find an autistic person who loves words, spelling, grammar, correcting text, for me to relate to them.

Suggestion: Edit your Wrong Planet signature to include a mention of your love of words, spelling, and grammar.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 8:41 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I need to find an autistic person who loves words, spelling, grammar, correcting text, for me to relate to them.

Suggestion: Edit your Wrong Planet signature to include a mention of your love of words, spelling, and grammar.

Thanks, but how will that help me find a TV character or celebrity that I can relate to and talk about on this thread?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 9:43 am

KitLily wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
KitLily wrote:

Thanks, but how will that help me find a TV character or celebrity that I can relate to and talk about on this thread?

To be fair, I too thought you meant that you wished to meet such a person in real life, or online. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 9:47 am

bee33 wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
KitLily wrote:

To be fair, I too thought you meant that you wished to meet such a person in real life, or online. :)

But the title of this thread is: Characters Whose Autistic Traits You Relate To

I was referring to that. :? I've altered my comment now to be clearer.

I know I was talking about Joe Thomas but I don't want to meet him in real life :lol: :lol:

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jul 2023, 2:38 pm

Spock, T'pol and Seven-of-Nine.

Spock is the Vulcan from the original Star Trek series.
T'pol is a female Vulcan from Star Trek: Enterprise (series)
Seven-of-Nine is a recovering Borg from the series Star Trek: Voyager.

I liked Spock's logic, matter of factness, dismissal of social customs like hand shaking and touching, no small talk, and just his no-nonsense, direct, straightforward approach.

T'pol was the same way. Both Vulcans acted tactically during emergencies instead of over-emotionally.

Seven-of-Nine had social deficits that I could relate to. She was pushy, impatient and didn't care what others thought of her. She just wanted to get the job done and thought other people got in the way.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2023, 2:57 pm

I relate very strongly to Greg in Diary Of A Wimpy Kid, and also Fregley.

I relate to Roland in Grange Hill (1982-1988).

I don't relate to Joe in The A Word at all, but I relate a bit to the mother when here.

I relate to Simon in Inbetweeners (yes, I'm aware I have already discussed Joe Thomas here but I mean his character as Simon).

I relate to Homer a lot in The Simpsons, when I'm really hyperactive and inattentive.

As a kid I was like DW in Arthur when at home but was more like George when at school (except I wasn't dyslexic but I had other learning difficulties like with math).

I relate to Karen in Outnumbered, because she's always worrying about everything and also seems awkward making friends.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2023, 7:36 am

I've long suspected Vulcans are an autistic race. Imagine if they arrived for First Contact Day, they could take us all back with them. Imagine how soothing and relaxing their planet is. Although I think I'm too emotional for them, I wouldn't like suppressing my emotions.

Joe90, you should watch We Are Not Alone with Joe Thomas in. The alien he plays is basically like someone with autism, always asking what things mean and getting social cues wrong, in hilarious ways. He goes on a chat show and completely messes it up :lol: I read that Joe felt pretty comfortable playing him :lol:

RedbirdCA
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jul 2023, 8:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
"Bones" from the TV show of the same name.

My mom named a kitten we found at a gas station Tempe after Bones.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2023, 12:23 pm

I've been watching a British crime drama on Britbox called McDonald & Dodds, and one of the two main characters is clearly meant to be autistic, although it's not mentioned. I don't personally relate to him, but I think some other people on the spectrum might.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2023, 6:40 am

doc martin

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2023, 8:17 am

Caz72 wrote:
doc martin

Me too. I've never been very much like him but I can relate to him quite well. That time he had to do the school prize distribution and he cut out all the ceremonial woffle so he could get it done quick and go back to his patients - I don't think I've ever done anything so "unacceptable," but I've certainly wanted to.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2023, 4:48 pm

people say im just like him in personality