How do any of you ladies handle with getting older?

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 5:05 am

Sighes....just older , stuff doesnt move as well as used to....but try to follow ahealthy diet and try to stay ahead
of aging nervous system and results of all the wonderous and less wonderous experiences..that i have experienced.
The War on wrinkles has been going pretty good for me. Physically active, has been a bit harder, but do not have a choice , regardless. Got to keep things going along . Never entertained having men in my life anymore ,even avoid but still get guys appearing interested in me. Even when dressing down. And still use my make up , cause ,I wish to still look good to myself, if possible. Stay hydrated.And my magic wand named Bertha . Still does her job ,when needed. But think she is a non binary Wand ,Judging by the name burned into her wood ,a stamp, that say Louisville Slugger :heart:

where ever you go ,there you are

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 9:49 am

Yes, the war on wrinkles. I have a pink bucket hat and sunscreen in the car all the time these days so I don't forget.

I use sunscreen all the time as I think it helps with age spots. Not to mention reducing the risk of skin cancer.
With low cut and sleeveless tops I'll make sure to put sunscreen on the exposed skin. I'll also remember to put some on my neck.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 9:52 am

im naturally tan skinned even though im blonde
i dont burn easy in the sun i just go brown

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 10:27 am

I also get a nice tan without sunscreen but have worries about wrinkles and cancer if I get too much sun.
I'll time my activities outdoors to work in the cool shade rather than the bright sunshine.
I know when and where to work depending on the time of day.

I try to get enough sleep. Now that I'm retired I can take a nap in the middle of the day and stay out of the sun at the same time!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2023, 12:36 pm

I can't be in the sun for over 5 minutes or I burn. My skin is chalk white, I gave up trying to tan decades ago :lol:

Aero_T
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2023, 10:22 am

I always think getiing older is much better than the alternative.

Generally as women get older they stop worrying about what other people, particularly men, think and step into their power.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 1:09 pm

Aero_T wrote:
Generally as women get older they stop worrying about what other people, particularly men, think and step into their power.

Yes indeed. Wish I'd been more like that when I was younger.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 7:32 am

KitLily wrote:
I can't be in the sun for over 5 minutes or I burn. My skin is chalk white, I gave up trying to tan decades ago :lol:
Same here, except I freckle. I used to work outdoors when I was younger and now it's catching up with me. Already had one cancerous lump taken out of my hand. I really have to watch my skin now for any changes.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 9:03 am

renaeden wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Same here, except I freckle. I used to work outdoors when I was younger and now it's catching up with me. Already had one cancerous lump taken out of my hand. I really have to watch my skin now for any changes.

Yes, me too on the freckles. I had a red-haired, freckly father so I inherited that from him!

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your skin :?

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 10:09 am

Well I care for a few elderly women in my family so here's some tips.

Tiger balm often comes to the rescue with back pain. If really bad back pain then codeine.

Foot masks for dead skin on feet. Trust me you don't want to be developing calluses. Get that dead skin off your feet. You'll be peeling for about a week but it's worth it.

Cetraben moisturiser for everything not any of the scented crap, you need good moisturiser in every crack when you get out of the bath/shower. Usually the best moisturises to buy are the ones that people with eczema use.

If your face doesn't feel wet like a slug every night then you're not doing it right basically.

Body shop moisturiser on top of arms/neck to smell nice, or body spray from Lush. Smelling good is a must, it will help you feel good and people will respect you more when you smell really good.

Wear compression socks like all the time, especially at night time, it will really help your circulation and a ton of other problems.

If you have trouble with hips then buy a cheap hip support off Amazon or ebay. It will take the pressure off a bit.

With boobs just always wear a bra unfortunately, even at your desk, but for comfort you don't have to wear one of these wired ones you can just get yourself a few basic sports bras. It will save your back like a lot. The ones in the actual sports shops are good though because they will stop you sweating as much as they use decent material.

For colour do not go into the sun, it will seriously f**k you up. If you're gonna go outside for extended periods of time you NEED to wear a sun hat and a lot of sunscreen. Be careful WHICH sunscreen you buy because some of them are crazy toxic, so you'll have to do some internet research to find the least toxic mineral one you can buy in your area.

You will need to buy fake tan for colour, if you want to feel confident and not have to wear any makeup then just get in the shower, scrub the crap out of your skin with an exfoliator and put the tan on with a tanning mitt. A nice cancer free solution. Some of the self tanners you can buy aren't sticky, but there's a lot of variety so you'd have to pick what works for you. Just google non sticky self tan.

The sun is a giant radioactive ball of fire in the sky it is NOT your friend. It's more of an acquaintance.

Loose clothing is really important, when you get older you get really unreasonably hot. So it's better to just wear lose fitting outfits instead as it allows air to your skin and you don't sweat as much and it's much easier to move around in them.

Stuff like this as an example, there's absolutely tons of loose clothes though.

Footwear is also important, try to not wear heels because they're so bad for your joints and knees. Ideally around the house just wear something like crocs for support. You need to be flat footed most of the time so try to buy shoes that are flat that don't make your toes bunch up at the ends.

That's all I can think of for now, but that's generally what I do with the elderly women in my family. Before they were doing it all wrong and had so many problems. Basically comfort is key.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:36 am

Lunella wrote:
Foot masks for dead skin on feet. Trust me you don't want to be developing calluses. Get that dead skin off your feet. You'll be peeling for about a week but it's worth it.

Cetraben moisturiser for everything not any of the scented crap, you need good moisturiser in every crack when you get out of the bath/shower. Usually the best moisturises to buy are the ones that people with eczema use.

Oh that's a good idea, I've tried to get the dry skin off my feet but not successfully.

I use cetraben on my hands, it's brilliant isn't it!

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 11:56 am

KitLily wrote:
Oh that's a good idea, I've tried to get the dry skin off my feet but not successfully.

I use cetraben on my hands, it's brilliant isn't it!

Yeah these foot masks are a total life safer. I use them like once a year myself. They're about £2 usually. Feet always end up feeling amazing after the peeling process.

Cetraben is amazing yeah, they do a full body one as well. It actually stays wet on your face/hands as it should do so you don't need to keep re-applying it all the time.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2023, 1:47 pm

Where do you get foot masks from?

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 9:14 am

KitLily wrote:
Where do you get foot masks from?

There's two types of them, sorry it would be foot peel not mask.

The really strong ones which I always go to first would be on Amazon, the brand is Skin Republic.

And then you can get the lighter ones which are sold in Boots, I normally get the watermelon one as it smells really nice.

If you've never done it though I'd suggest starting off with the Amazon one, the Boots ones are usually just little top-ups every now and then.

I did it on my grandmas feet, oh my god it was crazy. YEARS worth of dead skin came off but after her feet were brand new. Just make sure to moisturise your feet after every bath/shower and they end up looking and feeling lovely. :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2023, 12:20 pm

Thanks Lunella, I think I'd try the mild ones first knowing how EXTREMELY sensitive I am to everything. I don't want to make myself ill with a strong chemical on my feet.

That is so helpful because my feet are really horrible, so dry and flaky. Thanks! :heart:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2023, 1:30 pm

Lunella

Well I didn't wear footmasks but my friend gave me some Naked Bee coconut and honey body balm and I only started putting it on my feet yesterday and already my feet feel brilliant!

I thought 'oh I'm getting old, my feet are seizing up and I can't move them as well anymore.' But I just had very severe dry skin! I am going to continue moisturising my feet every day now.

Thanks for the advice!