Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 7:19 am

Fnord wrote:
If Betelgeuse exploded right now, no one on Earth would know for another 300 years, so why worry?

Only if the speed of light doubled.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 7:21 am

jimmy m wrote:
As if we didn't have enough to worry about, there is always Betelgeuse. It is a large star about to go supernova. And it is close to Earth. Too close in my humble opinion.
If you're interested in supernovæ that happen near Earth, you should read The Supernova Era by Liu Cixin.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 8:14 am

I analyzed the threat posed by a supernova event and published my theories on 25 September 2015. This was several years before Betelgeuse hiccuped.

"In late 2019 Betelgeuse, a star within the Orion constellation, grew dim" Now I understand what happened. This short burst was a tidbit of what is to come. Betelgeuse is about to go supernova. It will generate an array of particles that move near light speed. Since the massive star is around 650 light years from earth, it will take that long to get here. The eruption of Betelgeuse probably has already taken place. We just are unaware at the moment. The particles have so much energy that they can damage earth in several ways. They can alter the structure of a virus. How did COVID begin? It began when a near light speed particle struck earth and fragmented into thousands of particles as it made its way to the surface of the planet and then it struck and modified an early variant of COVID. Another pathway is the ability to strike the human brain and produce a condition called aphasia. Around the beginning of 2021, I suffered a massive stroke. My heart stopped beating for a few minutes. Then there was a spark and it began to beat again, but the damage was already done. I lost my ability to read. The letters broke apart into an entirely different alphabet system right before my eyes. One that I couldn't read. If that wasn't enough, I lost my knowledge of all spoken words. I was able to recover some of the damage but not all.

Read What’s the Deal with Betelgeuse?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 12:07 pm

Although my brain has been fractured in 2021, my mind decided I better keep an eye on Betelgeuse. So I did a quick search and it produced an analysis that projects that this star is likely to go supernova very soon, within our lifetime. (maybe not mine since it has already been damaged). So here is a link.

Betelgeuse discussion is around 7 minutes in the video.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 1:42 pm

Another article describes another perspective of the event. Betelgeuse began to go dark in 2019 but then has grown back but is now different then before. It is as if it gained mass, as if it swallowed up another star or planet.

So the game is afoot.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 3:34 pm

No one should every let YouTube videos do their thinking for them.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 3:37 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
If Betelgeuse exploded right now, no one on Earth would know for another 300 years, so why worry?
Only if the speed of light doubled.
Absolutely correct.

I read the wrong line from the star tables. Stupid freshman mistake.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 3:38 pm

Fnord wrote:
No one should every let YouTube videos do their thinking for them.

Agreed, but, as is the case with with text-based resources, some YouTube videos are made by better sources than others.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 3:55 pm

In this case, grad-level textbooks are primary sources, and those YouTube videos produced by PhD professors are secondary sources, at best.

ALL of my profs insisted on us opening our textbooks to their topics of lecture.

It is as if people nowadays have forgotten how to read.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 5:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
In this case, grad-level textbooks are primary sources, and those YouTube videos produced by PhD professors are secondary sources, at best.

ALL of my profs insisted on us opening our textbooks to their topics of lecture.

It is as if people nowadays have forgotten how to read.

I'd add to that, that some people only learn from screens.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 8:17 pm

According to Betelgeuse is Almost 50% Brighter Than Normal. What’s Going On? by Evan Gough, Universe Today, June 2, 2023:

Quote:
When it finally explodes—and nobody disagrees with its eventual explosion as a supernova—it’s not likely to produce a deadly gamma-ray burst as some supernovae do. And while it will eject material and produce powerful X-ray and UV radiation, we’re too far away to be affected.

Hopefully this is correct.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 9:13 pm

The_Face_of_Boo pointed out in a different thread that a new virus suddenly appeared in Cyprus.

It has killed off 300,000 cats on that island. Cyprus is a small island country located in the eastern Mediterranean Sea. It appears this virus is extremely deadly and has also affected cats in other parts of the world including Sydney, Australia. They report the disease in cats is caused by parvoviruses, small DNA viruses. This particular variant is extremely deadly. Another article shows that around 350,000 cats in the U.K. died. In the U.K. scientist found that the highest level of infections occurred at the end of 2021 and the start of 2022.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 3:51 am

Talk about nonsequitars! :lol:

Though that is alarming news...that the worlds kitty cats are now threatened by a global plague.

Ironic that it started in Cyprus because archeologists recently discovered the oldest remains of a domestic cat...buried with its owner in a tomb 9500 years ago...on the island of Cyprus.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 6:27 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Though that is alarming news...that the worlds kitty cats are now threatened by a global plague.

FIP has been around since the 60's, it's not anything new in the cat world. Maybe mutations have made it more dangerous ?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 8:10 am

Fnord wrote:

Only problem is, grad-level textbooks are not intended to be comprehensible to the general public. Their target audience is grad students in a given subject.

For lay folks, videos by Ph.D. professors aimed at the general public are not a bad source. It is necessary only to distinguish videos by real experts from videos by cranks.

Ditto for text-based popular science articles, which can be a good source also, depending on their authors.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 7:21 pm

I expressed my concern because when REAL scientists would post truthful and informational videos on YouTube, poorly-educated people will easily assume that any video posted on YouTube must also be truthful and informational.  This bodes well for quacks, Trumpsters, anti-vaxxers, and other crackpots pitching their favorite conspiracy theories; but not so well for honest scientists calmly presenting factual information.

It takes more investment to write, edit, and publish a textbook than to post a video.  Thus, a person writing a textbook must be careful to be truthful and include only scientifically sound information, or he/she stands to lose a great deal of money when no one buys the book, or the book is removed from the publisher's catalog for being inaccurate.  No such risk exists on YouTube, so there is no incentive to be truthful and informational.  Quite the opposite, in fact -- the more outrageous the claims, the more views a YouTube video receives.

So, yes, I paint all YouTube videos with the same broad brush.  This saddens me, but trying to teach critical thinking skills to non-scientific people is like trying to teach hamsters to perform differential calculus -- it is just a waste of time, and the hamsters do not like it.