Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2023, 12:42 pm

Anyone got one?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 2:43 pm

I have a Pi 3 B+ that I use for a retro console, and a Libre LePotato that I've been messing with.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2023, 2:53 pm

I've got an old Pi 2 that I've used at various times for LibreElec (Kodi, video streaming), RetroPie (emulating old games consoles) and Volumio (network audio streaming).

I'd like a more recent one though.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 1:42 pm

I was only looking for a cheap computer and also something to save space (because I've been using an old desktop) and ended up buying the raspberry pi 400. The whole computer is built into the keyboard and all for £100. I'm well pleased with it.

It doesn't have it's own camera built into it so my first task was to configure the machine in order to use a USB cam. I'm an absolute beginner and never before took an interest in this kind of stuff but I'm loving it. Webcam is up and running and ready to go.

I'm gonna learn so much from this.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 1:49 pm

That's why I'm interested in a new one. I want to see if I could use it as my main computer with linux. No chance with my old one but the new models are much more powerful.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 2:03 pm

https://www.raspberrypi.com/products/ra ... 20keyboard.

I'm gonna give mine a go in the morning for work and see how it goes. If the video lags then it'll be back to my desktop.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 2:10 pm

My fingers are far too sausagey for a titchy keyboard like that but the guts of it should be enough for what I do, which is mainly word processing and video calls.

Does that set up have a fan? It's the fan noise of computers that really bugs me. I'd like to have a fanless system.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2023, 2:22 pm

I reckon the keyboard is no smaller than that on a laptop really but it does look small on that picture.

The machine is silent. It's so quiet that you wouldn't even know it's on.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 11:26 am

Works well with usb camera. No lagging and good clear picture. It'll do for me.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2023, 5:05 pm

I have a Raspberry Pi 4. I bought it because I wanted something to tinker with, but I have not thought of anything to tinker about. I do have it set up to access my NAS unit so I can use it with LibreOffice. I bought a small touch screen for it, but I haven't done anything practical or fun with that.
I keep thinking "robots." Nothing fancy.
That always gets me interested.

My oldest son has two Raspberry Pi. One is a Raspberry Pi Zero. He designed an interface to control a watering system he designed for some trees in pots. I was very impressed. Every morning at 8:00, it goes off for one minute, and the shuts off. It stops the water immediately and ALWAY makes loud BANG in the pipes.
I don't recall what he did with second one. I know he has a camera hooked to it.

Like babybird said, The pi is very quiet. I love that.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2023, 1:05 pm

Yeah I'm also getting a small screen so I can play around with it in the evening time while I'm watching TV.

I've never done programming before or even thought about anything like that but I'm gonna give it a go.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2023, 12:12 pm

This is on my wish list - https://www.hiwonder.com/products/tonyp ... 3114681431

Also I started researching food extruders for a Raspberry Pi CNC Pie maker - most of them use a stepper motor powered syringe with limited volume - there are food contamination concerns. A Reprap would do for most of the rest of the design.

Something like this might work for an alternative to the syringe

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peristaltic_pump

The most popular pie is cherry so a raspberry and cherry no-bake pie might be a crowd pleaser.

Or raspberry cheesecake pie.

It would be fun to make then demo on Pi Day

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 3:21 pm

Anybody find 'Raspberry Pi' as a refreshing reminder of 'old-school' computing valued in 2023?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 4:10 pm

^ yes programing in C seems to make more sense than Java on a Rpi, but it can do Python and Java if need be. Wondering about Go