I'm moving and I am scared

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2023, 9:10 pm

So, the time nears and I will be moving to a new state in two months. I have not moved out of state since I was 18 years old, and I was about to start college. I'm not really sure what I need to do when I move, other than change my license plates, driver's license, tags, etc. I have a place ready for me, so I don't need to worry about finding an apartment to rent.

I knew this was happening months ago, but it all came in a rush when I received an email from my property manager that I had to let them know 60 days before we move out, and it was a week right before it was officially 60 days away. I've been anxious the last couple of days. I don't really know what else I need to do other than the obvious: find a job, update information. The thought of being even further away from family, living in a new state with new people. I don't know how I will handle this big change. :( :( :(

Any advice, tips, or information is desired greatly. I have no idea what the hell I am doing.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Aug 2023, 12:47 pm

That sounds scary. I mean, for anyone, moving house is a stressful experience. Add in the complications of distance, regulatory requirements from changing states, and autism, and it is easy to imagine how stressed you are.

I'd suggest that you start packing things that you don't use every day, like sentimental items. Also start thinking about whether there is anything you want to give away so you don't need to take it with you.

Be patient with yourself.

Do you have people to help you pack, and especially to help you move?

Don't move out on the last day of your lease. Move slightly before then, so you can have someone clean the place before you go.

Try to familiarise yourself with your new surroundings as best as possible. Where will you go to buy groceries? Where will you go to practice your hobbies or activities? Where is the nearest bus stop and the nearest train station? What route will you take when you need to visit your family? Figuring out the answers to these questions should assuage some concerns and make the transition less difficult.

I'm sorry that I can't provide specific advice on moving across state lines, but hopefully something I have said will be useful.

jubeedoo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Aug 2023, 5:52 pm

If you have a good friend, I would recommend calling them often for support (if not . . I may be available to talk).

1) make a list or lists of the things you need to accomplish for the move (changing utilities etc.)

2) try to pack little by little and label things ( I think this makes it a lot less overwhelming and easier to unpack.)

3) try to sit quietly for five minutes a day and just breathe a bit. It's going to be okay!

I am going through a similar situation. I feel lucky to have a dog who is a great support! If you ever have the opportunity or do have pets, I would spend plenty of time with them. I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable move :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 9:34 pm

Moving can be very scary.  It breaks your routine and changes everything.

Maybe you could try thinking of it as an extended vacation?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 10:15 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
That sounds scary. I mean, for anyone, moving house is a stressful experience. Add in the complications of distance, regulatory requirements from changing states, and autism, and it is easy to imagine how stressed you are.

I'd suggest that you start packing things that you don't use every day, like sentimental items. Also start thinking about whether there is anything you want to give away so you don't need to take it with you.

Be patient with yourself.

Do you have people to help you pack, and especially to help you move?

Don't move out on the last day of your lease. Move slightly before then, so you can have someone clean the place before you go.

Try to familiarise yourself with your new surroundings as best as possible. Where will you go to buy groceries? Where will you go to practice your hobbies or activities? Where is the nearest bus stop and the nearest train station? What route will you take when you need to visit your family? Figuring out the answers to these questions should assuage some concerns and make the transition less difficult.

I'm sorry that I can't provide specific advice on moving across state lines, but hopefully something I have said will be useful.

Thank you so much for your post.

I have been moving things very slowly: sorting out clothes and books I don't need, figuring out who is taking what, packing items that I can take to my new place. I don't have a lot. The only furniture I own is my computer desk, a chair, a clock, and a tv. I'm planning on selling the TV and DVD set so I can get some extra money.

Some of my items are already packed too, so that will help with the process. It's just hauling things don't flights of stairs....not looking forward to that.

I am somewhat familiar with the area - I do not do a lot of driving when I'm there though. Sitting in the passenger seat of a car is much different than actually driving around town, so I will certainly start to drive more and get familiar with the different roads to take. As for hobbies and activities, that will be another adventure. I think I may start my dioramas, so maybe finding a craft shop nearby, or an hour away in a different city....as a I said before a new adventure.

Your tip about moving out slightly before is great! I'm discussing hiring a cleaner with my roommate so we can split the cost of it.

Thank you again for your words! It did help quite a bit. :)

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 10:17 pm

jubeedoo wrote:
If you have a good friend, I would recommend calling them often for support (if not . . I may be available to talk).

1) make a list or lists of the things you need to accomplish for the move (changing utilities etc.)

2) try to pack little by little and label things ( I think this makes it a lot less overwhelming and easier to unpack.)

3) try to sit quietly for five minutes a day and just breathe a bit. It's going to be okay!

I am going through a similar situation. I feel lucky to have a dog who is a great support! If you ever have the opportunity or do have pets, I would spend plenty of time with them. I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable move :)

Creating labels is such a good idea! It will help organize my giant mess lol. Writing a list down will help too. There's so much stuff I am thinking about constantly. I know that I will forget some of what I need to do.

Awhh, give your dog a hug from me! I'm glad you have them around too. Dogs are simply the best to be around. I hope you have an easy move too.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2023, 10:21 pm

Fnord wrote:
Moving can be very scary.  It breaks your routine and changes everything.

Maybe you could try thinking of it as an extended vacation?

Yeah, just when I'm getting fully comfortable with my routine, I suddenly have to change it. And it is such a huge change too. Where I am going though, it is smaller than where I live now, and I don't think it will be as hard for me to adapt as it was living in the big city. I am more familiar with rural areas, and where I am living is very rural.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 2:34 pm

Applied for a really BIG job. Haven't done much packing wise, but the next time I go out to where I am moving, I know which boxes I will be taking.

~~~~

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 7:14 pm

Are you feeling any better today?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 4:26 am

Everything will be fine. Just slow down, take a breath and take it one step at a time. Sounds like you pretty much have a handle on changing your ids and addresses and all that. If you can, do not do a change of address card at the post office. That is never a good idea. Change your address one company or person at a time. Just take your time with everything. Label your packing boxes well so that it makes unpacking easier.

Once you get to your new location, take a couple of days to explore the town and get familiar with where everything is. As far as getting a job, start looking for one now. You can use computer searches. You can also see if there is an Office of Vocational Rehabilitation to help you find work. That is their job. If you have an official diagnosis, that will help but if you don't still reach out to them if there is an office in the area you are moving to. If you don't have an official diagnosis, they can help you get one if you need one. That is how I got mine. You can also look to see if the town you are moving to has an ARC. They can also help you find work.

You can do this. You will be fine. The most important thing is to just take it one step at a time so that you don't get overwhelmed.

Wreck It Ralph

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 7:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Are you feeling any better today?

I was yesterday, and today as well until I found out my roommate got the job he really wanted, so I think my move in day is a LOT sooner than it was before. Trying not to throw up from anxiety.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 4:57 pm

skibum wrote:
Everything will be fine. Just slow down, take a breath and take it one step at a time. Sounds like you pretty much have a handle on changing your ids and addresses and all that. If you can, do not do a change of address card at the post office. That is never a good idea. Change your address one company or person at a time. Just take your time with everything. Label your packing boxes well so that it makes unpacking easier.

Once you get to your new location, take a couple of days to explore the town and get familiar with where everything is. As far as getting a job, start looking for one now. You can use computer searches. You can also see if there is an Office of Vocational Rehabilitation to help you find work. That is their job. If you have an official diagnosis, that will help but if you don't still reach out to them if there is an office in the area you are moving to. If you don't have an official diagnosis, they can help you get one if you need one. That is how I got mine. You can also look to see if the town you are moving to has an ARC. They can also help you find work.

You can do this. You will be fine. The most important thing is to just take it one step at a time so that you don't get overwhelmed.

I don’t really like to tell others that I have ASD. I prefer to just keep it to myself since I don’t have a lot of issues ‘blending in’ and I feel like I don’t need that kind of assistance. My diagnosis was late in life and I guess being forced to be normal has a benefit: ://

Thank you though for the advice! I appreciate it.

~~~~

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 12:59 pm

Mini update:

Moving a ton of stuff this weekend. Can't find any jobs yet, had a bit of a meltdown with the bf.

~~~~

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 1:04 pm

Good luck with the move, honeytoast :)

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 7:21 pm

Stuff is packed and ready to be transported. Applied to some jobs around the area. Had another little cry because I am having anxiety about finding a new job.

~~~~

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 4:01 pm

^ A job search is difficult for anyone, let alone with anxiety/autism thrown into the mix.

I am sure you will do okay, honeytoast. :)