Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

16 Aug 2023, 2:58 pm

He said he has aspergers. Lets say thats right, how did he manage to be successful both wealth wise and socially ?

Is it perfect circumstances and family he grew up in

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 3:46 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
He said he has aspergers. Lets say thats right, how did he manage to be successful both wealth wise and socially ?

Until he confirms he was DIAGNOSED I would take that claim with a pinch of salt.

I may be wrong but i believe he mentioned it once and it was in an informal setting so was it a serious announcement or a kind of joke that he has an unusual mind?, i don't think we know at this stage from watching the clip, but its clear his history & functioning status is not typical of those with ASD.

He is a successful business man who`s been married, has lots of friends, good at social networking and as far as i know had no mental health crisis in his life.

Everyone with Asperger's has had a mental heath crisis at some point, that's how most adults get diagnosed.

The absence of one leads to fair doubt I'm sure you would have heard of an Elon Musk breakdown by now in the 50 or so years he`s been alive.

- George Bernie Shaw

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 4:21 pm

carlos55 wrote:
The absence of one leads to fair doubt I'm sure you would have heard of an Elon Musk breakdown by now in the 50 or so years he`s been alive.

Isn't his whole shenanigans with Twitter an expression of one? :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 4:58 pm

Highly_Autistic wrote:
...how did he manage to be successful both wealth wise and socially ?...

I suspect having billions of dollars makes you very "likable".

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2023, 5:03 am

carlos55 wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

Until he confirms he was DIAGNOSED I would take that claim with a pinch of salt.

I may be wrong but i believe he mentioned it once and it was in an informal setting so was it a serious announcement or a kind of joke that he has an unusual mind?, i don't think we know at this stage from watching the clip, but its clear his history & functioning status is not typical of those with ASD.

He is a successful business man who`s been married, has lots of friends, good at social networking and as far as i know had no mental health crisis in his life.

Everyone with Asperger's has had a mental heath crisis at some point, that's how most adults get diagnosed.

I wonder how he stayed sane all the way through his life, and his secret behind networking easily, if he has it

Highly_Autistic
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2023, 5:06 am

Double Retired wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:
...how did he manage to be successful both wealth wise and socially ?...

I suspect having billions of dollars makes you very "likable".

I would prefer having billions even if most people dont like me.

I mean if he has haters he has a bunch of friends / family around him too

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 6:45 am

carlos55 wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

He said he has Aspergers on a comedy show and that has been it as far as I know so who knows.

While I agree that autistics have a much higher rate of mental health problems then the general population that is not true for every autistic.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 7:41 am

His friggin family had bucket loads of Money...

where ever you go ,there you are

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 7:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:
Highly_Autistic wrote:

He said he has Aspergers on a comedy show and that has been it as far as I know so who knows.

While I agree that autistics have a much higher rate of mental health problems than the general population that is not true for every autistic.

Exactly a comedy show.

He has given long interviews since one recently with Tucker Carlson and it’s not been mentioned once.

I mean finding out your autistic is a big thing, coming out as autistic is a big thing

The fact he hasn’t mentioned since says a lot.

Maybe it was a joke or him just thinking out loud kind of self diagnosing in a half hearted way that he heard about Asperger’s and he has some traits like BAP but that’s all not enough for a full diagnosis.

- George Bernie Shaw

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 3:14 pm

Elon didn't earn the money, he inherited it. Wouldn't be surprised if most or all his accomplishments are more thanks to the money and the help it buys, than any supposed genius.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 4:50 pm

Jakki wrote:
His friggin family had bucket loads of Money...

This, the man is dumb, I wouldn't want to be grouped with him. But, given how unfunny and formulaic his jokes are, it wouldn't surprise me.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 1:34 am

carlos55 wrote:
I mean finding out your autistic is a big thing, coming out as autistic is a big thing

Maybe it was a joke or him just thinking out loud kind of self diagnosing in a half hearted way that he heard about Asperger’s and he has some traits like BAP but that’s all not enough for a full diagnosis.

Well, could be. Finding out for sure was a big thing for me but it is not for everybody. In fact, when I first suspected I was autistic I did not take it seriously, I just thought it was mildly interesting.

For the most part, people who do not take it seriously do not "come out", so you do not read their stories.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 10:25 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

Well, could be. Finding out for sure was a big thing for me but it is not for everybody. In fact, when I first suspected I was autistic I did not take it seriously, I just thought it was mildly interesting.

For the most part, people who do not take it seriously do not "come out", so you do not read their stories.

That's my one real regret in life. I didn't take it that seriously when I could receive a real diagnosis that covered the parts of my life that most required help. Now, I may never get that chance because the diagnostic criteria were arbitrarily changed to reduce the number of diagnoses being handed out. The best I might ever get is a schizophrenia spectrum diagnosis, which leaves out as much of my life experience as it includes.

I think that people who are fortunate enough to be allowed to have a diagnosis that actually covers these sorts of issues and access to what little treatment there is should feel appreciative of that. I don't necessarily think that there should be any obligation to be out about it. There are varying degrees of safety and support out there. I just personally dream of a day where the people doling out the formal institutional support actually care about the lives they're ruining rather than maintaining control over the gate.

Ultimately, the choice of being in or out is a privilege that most don't get, either because their traits are too significant to mask or they mask too well to get any acknowledgment of the pain and hurt that can come from being forced to live as somebody else.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 7:55 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

That's my one real regret in life. I didn't take it that seriously when I could receive a real diagnosis that covered the parts of my life that most required help. Now, I may never get that chance because the diagnostic criteria were arbitrarily changed to reduce the number of diagnoses being handed out. The best I might ever get is a schizophrenia spectrum diagnosis, which leaves out as much of my life experience as it includes.

I think that people who are fortunate enough to be allowed to have a diagnosis that actually covers these sorts of issues and access to what little treatment there is should feel appreciative of that. I don't necessarily think that there should be any obligation to be out about it. There are varying degrees of safety and support out there. I just personally dream of a day where the people doling out the formal institutional support actually care about the lives they're ruining rather than maintaining control over the gate.

Ultimately, the choice of being in or out is a privilege that most don't get, either because their traits are too significant to mask or they mask too well to get any acknowledgment of the pain and hurt that can come from being forced to live as somebody else.

I also regret that I did not take it seriously when I first suspected I was autistic.

I feel very appreciative that I had the opportunity to get formally diagnosed.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2023, 7:14 pm

I assumed he was autistic after reading a biography on him (author: Ashlee Vance). This biography he collaborated on and he seemed to be hinting at being autistic and provided details as evidence. I can't understand why anyone knowledgeable about ASD would doubt that he is. He is an entrepreneur, not a businessman. He has talked about his "asperger's" since his very public SNL disclosure.

It bothers me the way autistic people often dislike him so much. To me he is a model of what we some of us may be able to accomplish. I often disagree with what he says, but we rarely have a good political sense. That is usually an advanced NT skill. I know many Tesla owners who are likely autistic. One of them was saying he doesn't like Elon because of what he Elon says. I will be seeing him again and will maybe explain about Elon and ASD.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2023, 3:39 pm

CarlM wrote:
I assumed he was autistic after reading a biography on him (author: Ashlee Vance). This biography he collaborated on and he seemed to be hinting at being autistic and provided details as evidence. I can't understand why anyone knowledgeable about ASD would doubt that he is. He is an entrepreneur, not a businessman. He has talked about his "asperger's" since his very public SNL disclosure.

It bothers me the way autistic people often dislike him so much. To me he is a model of what we some of us may be able to accomplish. I often disagree with what he says, but we rarely have a good political sense. That is usually an advanced NT skill. I know many Tesla owners who are likely autistic. One of them was saying he doesn't like Elon because of what he Elon says. I will be seeing him again and will maybe explain about Elon and ASD.

Quote:
He has talked about his "asperger's" since his very public SNL disclosure.

Where?

Please provide link i don't think anyone here is aware of any such disclosure elsewhere

- George Bernie Shaw