Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

17 Sep 2023, 4:43 pm

The overstim from constant recruiter calls for scam jobs or where they add in random crap (changing pay grades, work requirements, etc.) I've been thinking of moving back to my home town with a ton of resources and just hanging out in a tent, possibly selling where I'm at and using to buy land to garden on and such. SO and I lived in a similar situation before in that area and call it some of the happiest days of our lives.

I was originally fine with moving anywhere but SO insists on going back. They want to secure a state job buuut we seem to be running into in state priority. We're talking jobs that pay $4k/mo. I'm scared they are willing to wait until the house is taken and then we lose out on that.

Yall am I crazy? Dumb idea?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 7:32 pm

Living in a tent does seem like an appealing idea, versus the responsibility and cost of having a 'proper' place of accommodation.

Although I imagine the apparent limits of living in a tent would be off putting for a lot of people.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 7:36 pm

My partner and I put up a tent during Covid lockdowns because we weren't allowed in each other's house.
We used it from spring to late autumn 2021.

I love tents and spent a lot of time in them as a child.

Is the weather OK for that where you are?

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2023, 1:26 am

We're from and moving back to the California valley where we lived over 30 years. Let me put this way. Met some folks from up north in the middle of winter. They had shorts on :lol: No snow, just wet.
Where we are now snows and we don't have heat so...not looking forward to that again!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 1:43 am

I lived in CA for a few years and I've been going there for 50 years to visit family.
We had a place in Big Bear for a while.

I think it sounds like a go.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2023, 1:49 am

How about safety?
That's where a van may be a bit better idea than a tent.
But if you can afford buying some land, it sounds all right.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

18 Sep 2023, 1:55 pm

magz wrote:
How about safety?
That's where a van may be a bit better idea than a tent.
But if you can afford buying some land, it sounds all right.

I mean if the pit bull, giant spouse, and my apparent crazy stare don't do it, I'm sure the scythe and gun will lol.
It's 3 humans, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. We have temporary fencing for them in the day but our younger cat bullies the pit and the other cat. It's not out of the question or anything. You don't have to register a tent like a vehicle.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2023, 4:56 pm

I think it is a neat idea if you can hack it. Keep us updated on how it goes.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2023, 3:27 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
I mean if the pit bull, giant spouse, and my apparent crazy stare don't do it, I'm sure the scythe and gun will lol.
It's 3 humans, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. We have temporary fencing for them in the day but our younger cat bullies the pit and the other cat. It's not out of the question or anything. You don't have to register a tent like a vehicle.

That's okay, I think, if you have a tent large enough for all of you.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 7:08 am

Doesn't really matter what anyone thinks here. What does the giant spouse think?

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2023, 9:09 am

rse92 wrote:
Doesn't really matter what anyone thinks here. What does the giant spouse think?

He thinks its feasible. Tbh he wants to move more than I do and to a specific area.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 5:21 pm

I remember watching a TV programme on Channnel 5 (UK) about homeless people and there was one person who was PhD educated who was living in a tent and collecting and recycling rubbish as an ongoing social experiment. This was someone who could have been earning a good living as a university lecturer but for some strange reason he seemed to prefer the great outdoors.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

19 Sep 2023, 7:09 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
I remember watching a TV programme on Channnel 5 (UK) about homeless people and there was one person who was PhD educated who was living in a tent and collecting and recycling rubbish as an ongoing social experiment. This was someone who could have been earning a good living as a university lecturer but for some strange reason he seemed to prefer the great outdoors.

I am one of those people lol.
For some reason, most houses that I've been in here don't have functioning windows. Looks like they could open, but they don't. Where we want to get back to, its odd to not have a couple of windows open along with the front/back doors for fresh air. I miss hearing the rain. Soon though! :)

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Oct 2023, 4:44 pm

I have remote property I go to get away. If I didn't have family depending on me, no question I would go live in a tent there. It takes a 4WD for 8.5 miles of trail to get there. :D

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 5:43 pm

What type of tent?

PassingThrough
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2023, 1:45 am

If you think you can do it and stay safe, why not? There are lots of people documenting that kind of lifestyle on YouTube.

I don't think I could live in a tent, but maybe I could live in a van (no, not down by the river) for a while. However, the government in my state, and apparently most of the US, seems to dislike people sleeping in their vehicles unless it's at a campground. Some Walmart stores used to be okay with people spending the night in the parking lot, but that seems to be going away. I've heard stories of people who were staying at a Walmart that allowed people to stay overnight, but they still got "the knock" from the police.