Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 1:08 am

So idk maybe I should just take a daytime cashier shift at walmart. I already applied once but for some specific clothing department job but the only shift they had for that was closing and I don't really want to work late nights. But they have daytime cashier positions and such so idk maybe I should just take one of those.

LIke they would have hired me already for the one thing if I had agreed to the hours, but I said I had to consider it and then decided against it, the person I talked to about the job though said I did good on their assessment in the application so seems like I could for sure get a job there just might not be quite what I want. But idk I need money more than I need a job I really want to do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 1:26 am

well in the next couple weeks I think I will see what the job searches bring and if it still feels dismal I'll just get on at walmart. Idk maybe that would help me build a few more skills to put on my resume so later I can look for something better and it would get me out of shoveling poop for lab dogs. I will miss some of them but I can't just stick there to avoid missing a couple dogs.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2023, 10:45 am

Have you tried other lab positions? Veterinary staff?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 2:07 am

GeekyFreak wrote:
Have you tried other lab positions? Veterinary staff?

I have looked at some job ads kind of like that but most of them seem to want you to have like professional experience or a degree, have not really seen any entry level ones. but idk maybe worth a shot depending on how much they just need people to fill the position. I mean I suppose I should not discount experience I have, but maybe my current job would count as experience towards that.

Ive even seen job adds for just office personel to set appointments and stuff, but I have a weird autistic problem with phones so I worry about jobs that require talking on the phone, but if I get past that problem it would open up more job oppurtunities because currently if it mentions phone calls I don't apply....but idk especially in this day and age it is weird to be that apprehensive about phone calls so I feel like I just need to somehow move past that and then it would open up a lot more job opportunites if I could just not be so freaked out by phone calls.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 7:08 am

^ The more phone calls you make, and with practice, they would become a lot less bad for you Sweetleaf. Unless you have some anxiety disorder or something, I'm sure you can get used to phone calls and like you have said, it would open up many more opportunities for you in the workplace.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2023, 8:22 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
^ The more phone calls you make, and with practice, they would become a lot less bad for you Sweetleaf. Unless you have some anxiety disorder or something, I'm sure you can get used to phone calls and like you have said, it would open up many more opportunities for you in the workplace.

I second this. I went from the occasional phone call at Walmart to State Unemployment during COVID. That unemployment line, while I would not recommend to the first time call center employee, boosted my phone skills and confidence. Went from terrified house cat to a phone tiger.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 10:29 am

A lot of people take whatever job they can with a particular company and wait for an opening for the job they really want at the same company. Such lateral transfers are common. Some have worked a number of different jobs at the same company.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 3:21 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

I do have two anxiety disorders generalized anxiety and PTSD but the PTSD has nothing to do with phone calls so for that it's only the normal anxiety that probably effects that but idk I am not my ptsd or anxiety so I can still do things in spite of those as*hole conditions I have.