Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2023, 6:23 am

Tried booting my Rpi this weekend - first time. Had to flash the micro SD with an OS - was able to do that with my MacBook laptop. The usb-c hub has a micro SD slot that didn’t work but my old USB micro SD adapter works fine. The mini HDMI to HDMI looks like it works - but I am not sure. Kept fiddling with the config.txt until my living room HDMI tv displayed something on boot - but after a screen of rainbow colors and some linux boot text scrolling It goes back to “no signal”. Can find many “I did this and it worked” but all with different HDMI options in the config.txt. Apparently this will take more time and trial and error. Wish I could find a comprehensive “here are all the options and here is exactly what they do”.
But the fact that nothing displayed on the first boot and eventually something displayed shows the mini SD is working and being read by the Rpi 4. Also that the HDMI cable works. I might try CTL-ALT-DEL to verify the Keyboard works (by monitoring the LEDs)
Frustrating but some progress.
Open to suggestions.
Any way I could lay down a SSHD or VNC Server without getting the HDMI working first? A Rpi Emulator? Qemu?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 Oct 2023, 4:23 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Is there any way to make a Pi connect to component inputs on an old television?

Apparently, yes - see: https://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=nb_sb_n ... nent+video (HDMI to component video)

theboogieman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Oct 2023, 11:15 am

Fenn wrote:
Tried booting my Rpi this weekend - first time. Had to flash the micro SD with an OS - was able to do that with my MacBook laptop. The usb-c hub has a micro SD slot that didn’t work but my old USB micro SD adapter works fine. The mini HDMI to HDMI looks like it works - but I am not sure. Kept fiddling with the config.txt until my living room HDMI tv displayed something on boot - but after a screen of rainbow colors and some linux boot text scrolling It goes back to “no signal”. Can find many “I did this and it worked” but all with different HDMI options in the config.txt. Apparently this will take more time and trial and error. Wish I could find a comprehensive “here are all the options and here is exactly what they do”.
But the fact that nothing displayed on the first boot and eventually something displayed shows the mini SD is working and being read by the Rpi 4. Also that the HDMI cable works. I might try CTL-ALT-DEL to verify the Keyboard works (by monitoring the LEDs)
Frustrating but some progress.
Open to suggestions.
Any way I could lay down a SSHD or VNC Server without getting the HDMI working first? A Rpi Emulator? Qemu?

If you have the RPi connected to a network, you can enable SSH in the config.txt I think, which would allow you to remotely connect to the terminal in the Pi. If you want to set up VNC, maybe that is the way to do it if there isn't an option to enable it in the config.txt. I'm speaking off the top of my head here.

Maybe the Pi is running in a video mode your TV doesn't support? PAL/NTSC, unsupported resolution, etc. Check this out and see if there's anything you don't expect in your config.txt

http://wiki.sunfounder.cc/index.php?tit ... spberry_Pi

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 3:20 am

I tried to use it as a mini scraping server but was too slow. Might be better more as a microcontroller IMO.