Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 12:03 am

Why do people have to buy stuff they don’t want. I’m still on iPhone 7, I’m planning on buying a new iPhone someday, the battery is not good anymore, I think my iPhone is outdated, cuz i having sooo much trouble opening apps or keeping them open. I keep getting emails about my Roku remote control, saying it time to buy a new one, just because they made a remote with voice controls. I know they have alot of things with voice control, but I cannot use my voice, cuz of my speech. When I use Siri & I use voice command, Siri can get it wrong. I also use voice on my keyboard, they can it wrong too.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 11:13 am

Let me take this in pieces

For the iPhone as it ages the Flash Memory will have issues, The battery wears out as you know, the software is wanting a faster processor and can be unstable with the slower processor. Also keep in mind Apple stopped support for the iPhone 7 in June 6, 2022.

For Speech to Text the software for it on the phone is also old and outdated

For the Roku even though they are saying that they have a new remote unit or something you can dismiss that. As long as the Roku unit and the Remote still works for you use it and not worry about it until either the device dies or the apps on the unit start get updated and refuse to run on the unit you have. They are just emailing you letting you know that there is a new model with voice commands which a lot of people like or people have trouble using the on-screen keyboard, it is just a new model with a microphone.

All in all if a device is still working for you even if it is old use it. Device aging is fast sadly as technology gets better and better. Chasing after the latest and greatest a lot of people do the issue with that is getting the first run of stuff more issues can arise in hardware failure

Believe me I know about tech advancing I look at my entertainment center I have LaserDisc player, VHS player, PS3 and 4, Old Xbox and the 360, A SNES and Wii, those still work.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 12:55 pm

Don't feel pressured to buy something just because. I searched for the iPhone 7 online and it was released in 2016? If you bought it near to release, then 7 years is a fairly long time to have a phone. You could always upgrade, but again, don't feel as though you have to, if your machine is working and you are happy with it.