Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2023, 2:51 pm

I thought I wasn't scheduled to work today, so I slept in very late. When I got up I saw that I had a missed call from work, so I double checked my schedule and realized I was supposed to work today.

I'm too nervous to call them back and explain why I didn't show up. I feel so stupid

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 3:18 pm

Your best course of action would be to make an excuse for your absence, such as having had an emergency water leak or something like that. And you could say the panic made you forget to call into work, but that you initially intended to turn in, but you had to wait for a workman perhaps?

Be creative, but don't say you slept in. That's the worst thing you could do.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 3:59 pm

Not turning up due to sleeping in too long sounds like lazy, almost any other excuse will be a better one to give.

How about your car broke down, just make sure that you turn up for work on time in future. You need to turn up for work on time, depending on the type of job if you can make yourself indispensible to the boss then you will get on find.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2023, 4:03 pm

I don't like lying, I was just going to tell the truth (that I misread my schedule)

This has never happened before, I'm usually very reliable. Do you think I'll lose my job if I tell the truth?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 4:06 pm

It is highly unlikely you'll lose the job if it is the first time it has happened, but it might negatively impact your boss and their attitude toward you if you tell them the truth about the reason why you didn't turn in.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 4:38 pm

Don't lie. Being honest and telling them that you misread the schedule is an honest mistake, and if it's never happened before it's unlikely that your employer will think less of you for having made an honest mistake once.

OTOH if you lie, now you're lying. And if it gets brought up later, and you forget that you lied, and the lie gets revealed, that is more likely to be seen poorly.

Better to fess up to an honest mistake, than to resort to lying, or getting caught in a lie, and being thought of as a liar.

I say this from personal experience as an employee and as a manager.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Sep 2023, 10:02 am

Update:

I came into work this morning, and the lady at the front asked where I was last week.

I ended up half-lying. I acted as if I still didn't realize that I was scheduled last week, and I apologized for not checking my schedule properly. She told me it's okay, she was just confused because I usually have really good attendance.

So I was honest about what my mistake was, but dishonest about the fact that I had already discovered my mistake (because I was embarrassed that I didn't call them back and explain it earlier). I'm lucky that she was understanding and that I didn't get in worse trouble.