Is Vaping Worse Than Smoking Cigarettes?

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 10:21 am

I just can't see how anything that you inhale into your lungs can be good for you.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 10:56 am

Even breathing oxygen is a double-edged sword, the thing that keeps us alive also damages us (reactive oxygen species).

Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2023, 12:24 pm

I used to be a regular cigarette smoker, and switching to vaping was initially quite a shock to my system. The first few times I tried vaping, I found myself coughing more than I ever did with cigarettes, which was quite surprising. I had always assumed vaping would be smoother on the throat. Over time, I realized a lot depended on the type of vape and the e-liquid I was using.

CheddarBetter
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2023, 6:52 am

I used to be a regular cigarette smoker, and switching to vaping was initially quite a shock to my system. The first few times I tried vaping, I found myself coughing more than I ever did with cigarettes, which was quite surprising. I had always assumed vaping would be smoother on the throat. Over time, I realized a lot depended on the type of vape and the e-liquid I was using.

I think it's also about what you're used to. Our bodies can have different responses based on our habits. And, of course, the type of vape or cigarette plays a role too. For instance, I know some people who swear by Breeze Pro 2502 for a smoother experience, but again, it's so subjective. In the end, it's all about personal preference and how your body handles it.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 9:17 pm

babybird wrote:
I just can't see how anything that you inhale into your lungs can be good for you.

Exactly this.

CheddarBetter
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2023, 5:09 pm

I think it's also about what you're used to. Our bodies can have different responses based on our habits. And, of course, the type of vape or cigarette plays a role too.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Dec 2023, 2:01 pm

I don't think vaping is worse than real cigarettes, but I don't think it's good for you either. Vaping has been proven to lead to addiction and lung diseases, and there have been a number of deaths linked to vaping. So yes, vaping is not good for you.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 2:11 pm

I had the impression that vaping was just a different way of ingesting tobacco (or weed).

Electric coils vaporize it, and then refrigeration coils cool the vapor. So its smoother than burning leaves with an open flame in front of your face.

So...smoking a cigarette is like shooting yourself in the head.

And vaping tobacco is like putting a silencer on the pistol, before you shoot yourself in the head. :lol:

Its the same poison. It just goes down smoother.

So why would it make a difference?

GoblinCandy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Dec 2023, 3:23 pm

Smoking most likely is far worse for your health due to the various carcinogens that are produced when tobacco is combusted, but nicotine, which is also present in vaporizers, isn't simply addictive and can lead to cardiovascular issues and can raise your risk of suffering a heart attack, stroke and erectile dysfunction. An additional problem with vaporizers is that eJuice is often made in China. I try to avoid putting stuff made in China in my body as lead and other heavy metals and toxins often find their way into Chinese-made products.

Quite a few vaporizers I've tried have felt harsher on the lungs than cigarettes, but that generally only happens with very sweet eJuices found in disposable vapes. Generally the sweeter an eJuice is, the harder it'll be on the coil and your lungs. That's why when I choose to vape I tend to stick with vapes that are on the less sweet side.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 4:10 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
I had the impression that vaping was just a different way of ingesting tobacco (or weed).

Electric coils vaporize it, and then refrigeration coils cool the vapor. So its smoother than burning leaves with an open flame in front of your face.

So...smoking a cigarette is like shooting yourself in the head.

And vaping tobacco is like putting a silencer on the pistol, before you shoot yourself in the head. :lol:

Its the same poison. It just goes down smoother.

So why would it make a difference?

Like Goblin Candy said, combustion makes the difference.

When you vaporize the desired chemical out, only other things that boil at that temperature or lower come along for the ride. With THC concentrates, that means practically nothing else. With dry plant matter (like a Volcano vape, or a light bulb vape) there's more stuff, but none of it has been produced as combustion byproducts. I'm less familiar with vape juice and what exactly is in it.

When vaporizing dry plant matter, a significant amount of material that would otherwise be turned into vapour is left behind as used dry plant matter, compared to the tiny fraction left behind as ash when smoking.

As the temperature rises that energy is able to cause reactions within the chemicals that make-up what's being smoked. Some of them decompose, others oxidize, etc. This produces additional negative compounds on top of ones that are already naturally occurring within the plant matter.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 4:16 pm

Switched to vape before Covid.My sense of smell , taste and breathing function improved.Its also cheaper if you fill your own.I have a Voopoo now and it costs me less than ten dollars to vape all month in combo with nicotine pouches like Zyn or Velo.If I was to buy ready made it would be Vuse, but it’s expensive.Used it before I switched to filling my own device.
It’s not a good idea to start a bad habit but I do believe it’s better than smoking.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2023, 11:01 pm

Vaping, if it's done right, is very likely a lot less dangerous than smoking tobacco. The only ingredients in good vaping liquid are nicotine, water, and a propellant such as glycerol or propylene glycol - they've been used in asthma inhalers for decades without any noticeable harm. Nicotine isn't very toxic. Tobacco on the other hand contains tons of carcinogens and tobacco smoke contains carbon monoxide. As long as the vaping liquid is pure and the vaping equipment is good, it's relatively safe. The dangers mostly come from badly designed or badly maintained vaping equipment and from vaping liquids that contain stuff that hasn't passed any safety checks, such as silly colourings and flavourings. Obviously vaping is a tad more dangerous than inhaling nothing but clean air, and if there's nicotine in the vaping liquid then it'll be addictive.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 9:41 pm

I performed an interesting experiment when I first started vaping. I'd read a lot of supposedly professional articles about heart disease and they nearly all said point blank that nicotine raises the blood pressure and is therefore harmful. So I took my blood pressure after I hadn't had any nicotine for several hours, and then took it again after vaping more nicotine that I usually vaped. I repeated the test several times but never once found any increase in my blood pressure.

I'm not saying nicotine is perfectly safe for everybody. I'm not even saying I'm in no danger at all from vaping nicotine. But I am saying that the received wisdom about nicotine isn't the whole story, and that in my case at least, there appears to be no increase in blood pressure from my use of nicotine. So I'd recommend anybody who is worried about a possible elevation of their blood pressure from vaping nicotine should run a few tests of their own. That's not to say that blood pressure is the only thing to be concerned about when making the decision whether or not to vape.