Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 8:05 pm

According to some articles, especially since Coronavirus, plenty of people have been financially struggling to pay for room and board.

What kind of sources of income do you have?

What kind of work do you do?

What do you do to pay the rent? Section eight housing? Work two full time jobs? Live with someone? Scholarship? Squatting? Ten roommates?

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 8:23 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
According to some articles, especially since Coronavirus, plenty of people have been financially struggling to pay for room and board.

What kind of sources of income do you have?
What kind of work do you do?
I've been on SSI (Supplemental Security Income, a benefit program in these hyar United States) since 2009.
SSI is subject to be withdrawn, if at some point it is decided that I'm no longer eligible. I'm pretty much a goner, if this happens...
I supplement this to a highly variable degree by "flipping" the various and sundry things that interest me, and also interest others enough to make a profit when selling them.

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
What do you do to pay the rent? Section eight housing? Work two full time jobs? Live with someone? Scholarship? Squatting? Ten roommates?
I have no "rent", as such, at the moment, as I have my old $950 motorhome plugged into grid power at my friend's shop here in a very small rural town in Northern Nevada.

I pay for my food, electricity, vehicle expenses, Internet and medications out of the SSI, and only "get ahead", financially, on the occasions when I'm not severely burned out, as I have been for many months now.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

24 Sep 2023, 3:35 pm

I have 0 i come and recently applied for TANF.

Depression is creeping up and I've only done 30 applications and 5 interviews this month.

Its just my family of 3 trying to go back home (long story.) I had a temp job that ended in January and we've been living off that and a tax return.

I'm a data scientist/ social researcher.
SO is an accountant

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 4:29 pm

Long Term Disability income which will switch to Pension in the winter.
Not buying anything for myself ever.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 12:59 pm

40 years old, single, zero kids, zero car,

For the last two years, eleven and a half months, been working at home Depot. Lot attendant. About 25 hours a week, minimum wage

Been living in my parents' house. They are dead. Sister owns the house

Sister, 44, physician. Married to electrical engineer

Sister told me she is going to sell the house and get another house. She said she is going to put a "shed" in the backyard for me to live in

I don't have much alternative.

My worthless corpse is not healthy enough to work two full time minimum wage jobs

My worthless corpse doesn't have enough job skills to earn enough for room and board, with only one job

My worthless corpse is too socially awkward for roommates. In undergrad, some roommates were a nightmare

Been applying for other jobs for a long time. A couple of interviews. Zero offers

Unemployable

The following companies won't make the mistake of hiring my worthless corpse:

McDonald's
Burger King
Target
Best buy
Sprouts
Bristol farms
Rubio's
Starbucks
Peet's
Joannes
Ranch 99
Safeway
Whole foods
Grocery outlet
Food Maxx
Taco Bell

Plenty of jobs had the nerve to make my worthless corpse redundant. Long periods of unemployment. (Bad work history)

Zero criminal convictions

Zero job skills

Asperger's
Clinical depression
Anxiety disorder
Six out of ten officially diagnosed personality disorders

Bachelor degree 2007, cognitive science
Associate degree, accounting, 2016

Three accounting internships in 2016. But that was seven years ago. Not recent. And didn't do anything academically difficult

Last year, income barely too high for section eight housing

Zero "friends" will lemme sleep on the couch

My current job is in at "at will" employer state. Another lot attendant has been trying to get my worthless corpse made redundant, since December 2021. Thus far he has not been successful. But maybe he will be successful tomorrow. He is "in" with a lot of people, some of whom have termination authority. Everyone has subconscious biases

Also, my current job, Lot Attendant, involves a lot of manual labor and heavy lifting. Right now it appears to me that all the other lot attendants are cisgender male. Six years on testosterone has not made me as strong as an average cisgender male. Besides the lot attendants are all taller, heavier, bigger and stronger than me.

Last year, a customer and I were trying to unload a tool, and I unintentionally dropped the tool. The handle of the tool chipped my tooth on the way down. Thank Buddha the tool did not injure the customer, otherwise the customer might have taken a civil lawsuit against home Depot and my worthless corpse might have gotten made redundant. The customer had the nerve to bark at me "what the f**k? You can't hold on?". But that is just "freedom of speech" and I am just thankful that the customer did not tell the manager to fire me or something like that.

Since July 2021, have had a doctor's note that I am not allowed to lift over fifty pounds. But (1) not all merchandise weight labelled (2) sometimes I am the only lot attendant at work (3) when I ask someone to lift something for me they sometimes tell me that they are on break, busy, injured or refused. (4) customers keep barking at me that I am too physically weak. ("Customer always right"). One customer had the nerve to tell me "I don't care about the doctor note. Put it in the car" and I did. Then the next week she had the nerve to tell me to load some even heavier merchandise into her car. And then I got someone else to do it

(1) the job description for Lot Attendant doesn't specify number of pounds lifted

(2). The job interviewer did not ask if I could lift a certain amount of weight

(3) no lifting test. Not before hiring and not once every six months. Like the military

(4) Not all merchandise has weight listed

(5) lifting a barbell is athletically easier than lifting awkwardly shaped merchandise of the same weight. Likewise, awkward positions, lifting it high and low. Lifting a lot of them. All day long.

40 years old, only getting weaker physically and emotionally and mentally

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 1:53 pm

I am sorry to hear of your struggles, shortfatbalduglyman.

If you have a bachelor's degree in cognitive science, can you not apply for a really basic level office job or have you already tried?

Manual jobs don't sound suitable for you, from what you have described.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 6:18 pm

Both live with family and pay hefty amount of rent per month, even when unemployed i'm still expected to pay towards what I use (internet, water, electricity), in a well established area. Soon though i'll be kicked out so good riddance in a way, but lived here for around 10 years so the change will be hard, and my next abode will be in a run down area, higher crime rate, but rent is significantly lower living with relatives so I guess i'm just destined to be living with parents or relatives the rest of my life with no sense of independence. Still could be worse.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 8:45 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I am sorry to hear of your struggles, shortfatbalduglyman.

If you have a bachelor's degree in cognitive science, can you not apply for a really basic level office job or have you already tried?

Manual jobs don't sound suitable for you, from what you have described.

UCSF , data entry clerk, 2008, got made redundant second day (boss had the nerve to tell me that it was "not a good match". But nobody told me anything specific that I did wrong.)

AAA, third day, data entry clerk, made redundant third day (no reason given, temp job only, "at will" employer)

Wespac, recordkeeping associate, 2016, made redundant third day

It appears to me that there are a lot more restaurant retail sales jobs than office jobs. And restaurant retail sales jobs are easier to get and harder to get fired from. But different things are hard for different people.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2023, 1:14 pm

shortfatbalduglyman.

Repeat after me.

My worth is not based off of how another human can use me