The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:25 am

Quote:
Young men today feel they must be six feet tall, make six figures, and have six inches downstairs to get a girlfriend—so many have given up trying.
The last guy I dated was none of those things. Well, I don’t know about what he had going on “downstairs.”

He was probably around 5’6 and made 5 figures.

Many women find dating difficult and are “checking out” of the dating pool, too.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:43 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
Quote:
Young men today feel they must be six feet tall, make six figures, and have six inches downstairs to get a girlfriend—so many have given up trying.
The last guy I dated was none of those things. Well, I don’t know about what he had going on “downstairs.”

Many women find dating difficult and are “checking out” of the dating pool, too.

Don’t invalidate what they are experiencing and feeling - you are only one person.

And the author is a woman and she did her social expriment herself.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:46 am

I definitely relate to this:

"It’s a common worry for men in the post–#MeToo era. In a 2016 study, over 95 percent of respondents replied that men were much more likely to be “creepy people” than women. One twenty-something on Reddit, who wanted to ask out an employee at his local pet store, groaned that men are “expected to be the hunters but are shunned for doing so in public unless it’s on a stupid app.”

I get the feeling that some women will label a man creepy, simply because a man interacts with them in some way and especially when the woman doesn't really like the man/is not attracted to them.

This can happen, even when the man has no intention of being creepy or violating any personal boundaries and doesn't do either of those things, yet is treated like a creep anyhow. The act of communicating with a woman on a most basic level can be an affront to some women, if a man is the one pursuing a line of communication, however innocently.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:53 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Quote:

Don’t invalidate what they are experiencing and feeling - you are only one person.

Don’t invalidate what I and many women experience.

Our experience is valid and meaningful, too.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 8:32 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
Quote:

Don’t invalidate what I and many women experience.

Our experience is valid and meaningful, too.

This article in particular is about men.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 24 Sep 2023, 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 8:42 am

Okay but both men and women leave the dating pool for various reasons. It’s not solely a male thing. One gender does not have it easier than another when it comes to dating. You seem to be trying to surpass specific guidelines by citing articles.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 8:43 am

That's like as if there's some article talking about how most working women still do most of the household chores then some male member says something like "but I do half of the chores, and my wife does the same! And I know a lot of male buddies who are fair like this!" .... well, yeah, so what? No one said that all men leave most of the house chores on their partners, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a frequent problem most working women face.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 8:49 am

You know what the expectations for L&D are. Many women on WP experience similar challenges on top of greater risks for sexual exploitation. Making it about gender is NOT helpful.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 52203/full

Quote:
Research indicates that sexual violence affects about 30% of women in the general population and between two to three times as much for autistic women.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 1:27 am

^ I totally agree, but that’s not what this thread is about.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 6:08 am

I don't know who Olivia Reingold is, or why her opinion matters, but assuming she's right it seems women are exercising more freedom to say what they really want and don't want in a relationship. I think they're choosing foolish things if height and wealth matter that much to them, but I suppose it's better than having no voice and being married off to someone against their will. That's pretty much what happened in the past.

I'm sorry for men if they're encountering women who want unrealistic things. It's not representative of us all.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 6:58 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't know who Olivia Reingold is, or why her opinion matters, but assuming she's right it seems women are exercising more freedom to say what they really want and don't want in a relationship. I think they're choosing foolish things if height and wealth matter that much to them, but I suppose it's better than having no voice and being married off to someone against their will. That's pretty much what happened in the past.

I'm sorry for men if they're encountering women who want unrealistic things. It's not representative of us all.

She's a very young and attractive American journalist with no reason to slant her reporting, from what I can tell.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 7:07 am

The article is about dating apps, not about relationships. That there are vacuous and superficial people (mostly women, according to this?) on dating apps is unfortunate but it really doesn't have to do with the ability to form relationships, which can and perhaps need to happen in real life and not on an app.

There are an equal number of heterosexual men and women. If a given number of hetero men are dropping out of looking for a partner, then just as many hetero women will find themselves unable to meet a partner. The premise doesn't really hold up.

It only holds up regarding casual dating, if many women are only willing to date a small subset of men. But who wants to be going on all these casual dates? I don't find that appealing, nor did I when I was young.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 7:42 am

bee33 wrote:
The article is about dating apps, not about relationships. That there are vacuous and superficial people (mostly women, according to this?) on dating apps is unfortunate but it really doesn't have to do with the ability to form relationships, which can and perhaps need to happen in real life and not on an app.

There are an equal number of heterosexual men and women. If a given number of hetero men are dropping out of looking for a partner, then just as many hetero women will find themselves unable to meet a partner. The premise doesn't really hold up.

It only holds up regarding casual dating, if many women are only willing to date a small subset of men. But who wants to be going on all these casual dates? I don't find that appealing, nor did I when I was young.

True, but problem is…. finding someone nowadays is usually through the internet.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 8:11 am

MaxE wrote:
She's a very young and attractive American journalist with no reason to slant her reporting, from what I can tell.
A possible reason: she thinks that her clickbaity article will attract more readers.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2023, 8:14 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
bee33 wrote:

True, but problem is…. finding someone nowadays is usually through the internet.

If 39% of couples are meeting online, that means that 61% aren't...