Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Owainrhonddacynontaff
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2023, 5:24 pm

I don't know exactly what it is. But every since I was a toddler, I was fascinated with all things Halloween and Supernatural. I was also pretty much afraid of my own shadow,and was too scared to watch a lot of scary media until I was a bit older. I was always a little bit more into the supernatural side of things tho, like Poltergeist, Creepshow, Nightmare on Elm Street, I liked standard slasher stuff too, and the more "artsy" stuff like "It Fallows" and "The Witch" but I think slightly cheesy, 80s stuff is my favorite.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 12:24 am

I absolutely love anything to do with horror, whether it's movies, TV, or fiction (I write horror, myself). While I'm not a big fan of the slasher sub-genre (Friday the 13th in particular), as the sequels they spawn just run together, I definitely don't mind gore, though I also like so called "quiet horror." I grew up watching horror movies, getting scared particularly by Lon Chaney Jr's Wolfman movies (which never stopped me from watching!). I very much enjoy the Lovecraft inspired films, such as Re-Animator, From Beyond, Dagon, Cthulhu, and others.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 6:45 am

I've always like monster/horror films. One of my earliest memories is watching Son of Chiller when I was three to four years old (1962-1963) and I've been drawn to old monster/horror films every since. In the late sixties, my sister's boy friend brought is small black and white television for her to use. We had a television, but this one had UHF channels and one of those channels had two horror hosted shows running back to back. I don't remember the first one's name, but the second one was Mister Mummy Movie Time. I stayed up late to watch both. We moved to another city in 1970 and in 1971 the show Creature Feature with Dr. San Guinary started much to my delight. I also discovered books were written about horror movies! Then I found magazines about horror and fantasy films were published, Famous Monsters of Filmland, and Castle of Frankenstein. I drew pictures of monsters. At school, I was called "Monster Man." Not always in a flattering way. My eighth grade art teacher asked me if I ever drew anything other than monsters. We did yarn work, and I did a werewolf. We did woodblock prints. Mine was Max Schreck from Nosferatu.
My brother and I had various eleven(ish) figures like GI Joe, Johnny West, the Gold and Silver Knights, and I used Elmer's glue and toilet paper to build up a Frankenstein Monster action figure, or cotton to make hair for werewolves.
Also, before we moved, I use to watch Dark Shadows everyday, except when they changed the time ( :x ). They changed it back later, and a few years ago I learned it was changed back because I was not the only kid that missed watching it. Once I ran home after school and my Nana was their and was so touched I ran home to greet her. I told her I ran home to watch Dark Shadows. I hope she was not hurt by that. Another Nana story was when I HAD to watch Lon Chaney's Phantom of the Opera on television and parts were in color so I had to watch it on the color set. Nana watched Lawrence Welk in my room, in the basement, on the black and white TV. I got in so much trouble for that. My mom and step dad yelled at me. In hind site, I understand, but at the time, Nana said it was okay. She did not mind. By the way, I miss my Nana.

I have always enjoyed good, mysterious, ghost films.
"Jump scary" movies are, for me, a cheap thrill, minus the thrill when done poorly.
I don't seek slasher films, but they can be suspenseful.
I love beautiful makeup, like the makeup of Jack Pierce. Absolute beauty.
Conrad Veidt - The Man Who Laughs
(Mr. Pierce is on the left) Boris is absolutely gorgeous.
Lon Chaney Jr. - The Wolfman. There is nothing sloppy about this makeup.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2023, 5:05 pm

If you have Peacock TV, they have several classic Universal horror films available for streaming.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 10:32 am

i love horror movies...always have always will

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 5:26 am

Yes. I am trying to get every top ten film ever made, that still knowingly survives.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 9:00 am

I was just checking Tubi TV and they have a section for horror movies.

Tubi TV Horror Category

Lots of films post year 2000. A few prior to 2000.
Some are quite good, in my opinion, like The Babadook.
Also there are a few series or mini series, including Lovecraft Country. Recommended.
One series there is no way you can get through before the end of the month, Dan Curtis's Dark Shadows (1966-1971). 1.2k episodes. Not every half hour episode is full of valuable content. It was a soap opera.

Several mainstream main stream films of various horror genres.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 4:21 am

I've noticed something.

Why is it they keep doing 'direct sequel to' horror films these days, that ignore the lore established in older sequels? It's like they just want to keep milking everything in the genre, from whatever amount of years ago.

For example, Dr. Loomis spends most of the Halloween movies chasing Michael Myers. Then in the reboot series, they make it he's already dead, with Laurie Strode now being the focal point. However, I thought Sam Loomis was the best thing to the series. In fact, Donald Pleasence was a great actor in anything he appeared in. So why screw that up?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 7:14 am

I think horror movies are okay. They are not my favourite type of movie, however.

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2023, 11:17 am

Did anyone watch the new sequel to The Exorcist, or Saw?

I don't know how many times they have to bring back Tobin Bell. While he is a tremendous actor, John Kramer was killed off officially in the third film. Now all they are doing is prequel type storylines where John is involved. Because when they try to introduce a new Jigsaw Killer to succeed him, nobody cares. So they have to bring back the star attraction.

I do think the franchise is overall one that's always interesting. But you can tell Hollywood never allows sleeping dogs to lie.

alisiaburke
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Oct 2023, 12:12 pm

I love horror movies, but the old ones. And it's hard to find something I like and what I've never watched.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 10:30 pm

I like some horror films like IT and Annabel , I can't watch the slasher films though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 3:18 pm

I do not like horror movies, but have always enjoyed watching the
old-school Universal Classic Monsters series.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 7:52 pm

alisiaburke wrote:
I love horror movies, but the old ones. And it's hard to find something I like and what I've never watched.

"Old" is relative. When I think old horror movies, I think of the monster films made before I was born, movies from the 1910s through the 1940s. Even 1890s through the early 20th Century if I count Georges Méliès films. As I was born in 1959, I include the 1950s as well.

However, I know people who say "old" and mean films from 1970s, or 1980s, or 1990s, and even the early 2000s. Old is a moving target and I don't know what it means to each person.

What timeframe where you thinking? I'm sorry, if that all came off as making fun. It genuinely was not my intention.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 3:35 pm

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 3:58 pm

The brain with the eyes, in the upper left corner, that was one movie I saw as a wee child that gave me nightmares. That and the movie Gorgo. Giant monster, chasing me down in the street.

The the one thing that woke me up screaming and bothered my older brother, who slept on the top bunk... sock puppets. they where like living worms and the peeped at and talked to me from between the mattress and the wall. Sock puppets under the bed. I was convinced they were real.

No one asked about monster movies that gave us nightmares, but I thought I would add those. The sock puppets weren't even from a horror movie. They were from a children's program. I cannot remember which.

"If you watch that, it will give you nightmares."