Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ActingUpAgain
Raven
Raven

29 Sep 2023, 1:51 pm

I was officially diagnosed autistic Monday.

I had my annual review today - done via videochat since my supervisors are in another state. It went incredibly well (as normal), and I got high praise and my full raise.

But I didn't mention my diagnosis, although it was probably the perfect time to do so.

Don't get me wrong - I don't think it would impact my work situation negatively, and I don't currently need any special accommodations. I just didn't feel comfortable with it - everything was going so well, I didn't want to change the vibe.

So, comments either validating me or encouraging me to do it encouraged. It's new territory for me, so open to others' knowledge and experience here.

Officially diagnosed autistic. September 2023, suspected since 2010.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2023, 8:50 am

To be totally honest, if there hasn't been an issue or reason to disclose, why do it?

Its like saying you're allergic to something when that something isn't likely to be an issue (in my opinion obviously.)

Do make sure that you can trust people with said info as some wilm use it to discriminate anyway.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 9:52 am

Yeah, people will use such info to discriminate, as the poster said above, so unless you need accomodations or some kind of special consideration, I wouldn't disclose.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 9:57 am

I did disclose at my job, and I've not regretted it. But there were specific reasons for it - basically, it gives my bosses justification to not put me into situations I can't deal with. If it wasn't for that, I'd have kept quiet about it.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 12:30 pm

You need to think long and hard about disclosing.

In my profession (lawyer), almost no lawyers are out. Google "lawyers with autism" or "autistic lawyers" and see for yourselves.

Firms and individuals (mostly DEI staff and HR personnel) talk about being our allies, but the fact of life is most people do not understand autism or why working people ASD suffer in silence.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 2:08 pm

rse92 wrote:
You need to think long and hard about disclosing.

In my profession (lawyer), almost no lawyers are out. Google "lawyers with autism" or "autistic lawyers" and see for yourselves.

Firms and individuals (mostly DEI staff and HR personnel) talk about being our allies, but the fact of life is most people do not understand autism or why working people ASD suffer in silence.

I totally agree. Human resources departments are clueless for the most part about conditions such as autism.

NobodyNothingJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2023, 3:47 pm

I would only disclose it if you need accommodations, otherwise theres not really much to gain. Pretty much no one gets what autism is and you disclosing it won’t change that unfortunately. I disclosed it when I was first diagnosed because I felt good about it, like I finally have confirmation but then my boss told me I shouldn’t tell people I’m autistic and it was really hurtful and lame.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 3:54 pm

If you aren't seeking some form of accommodations, there is no reason to disclose anything.

Last edited by DanielW on 31 Oct 2023, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 4:47 pm

It is best to just say what you need to do your job.
Just like someone with a bad back may need an ergonomic chair.

A diagnosis isn't that helpful to a lay person.
If you have seen one person with autism you have seen one person with autism.
Normal people don't have time to understand autism.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2023, 7:48 pm

Unless you need to tell them, I'd advise against it. I never disclose any of the extra letters after my name, as it just gives certain people more ammunition to use against you if they decide at any point that you are competition. I've seen it used against other colleagues in the past who were more open than me. I'd treat it like any other medical issue. If it doesn't prevent you doing your job, then it isn't relevant enough to mention.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 8:00 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I did disclose at my job, and I've not regretted it. But there were specific reasons for it - basically, it gives my bosses justification to not put me into situations I can't deal with. If it wasn't for that, I'd have kept quiet about it.

I think it depends a lot on the job and the environment. As well as how obvious it is. I'm probably going to have to disclose at work soon because I'd rather not get called into HR for a blood test. (Technically, it's a requirement of the job by corporate, but hardly anybody would pass due to certain recreational drugs being legal here)