8 Republicans succeed in removing Kevin McCarthy as Speaker

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 10:43 pm

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/10/03/poli ... index.html

“ . . Because of the GOP’s razor-thin majority in the House and a Democratic conference united against him, McCarthy needed the support of nearly all of his party’s members to keep the gavel. . . ”

“ . . GOP Rep. Patrick McHenry of North Carolina was named speaker in the interim. . ”

I think most of the people who voted against McCarthy are probably more interested in Internet clicks than they are in the difficult and often boring work of governing.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 03 Oct 2023, 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 10:48 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_C ... membership

“ . . There are at least 45 caucus members as of July 2023; . . ”

I wonder if these 8 Republicans are in the so-called “House Freedom Caucus”?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 11:14 pm

as unrelated good news—

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/sig ... -103686653

“ . . the unemployment rate (at 3.8% in August) remains near a half-century low. And inflation, which hit a four-decade high in mid-2022, has decelerated markedly over the past year, raising hopes that the Fed can achieve a so-called soft landing . . ”

This good economic news is one of many reasons we would very much benefit from a smooth-functioning government. In particular, we don’t need the brinksmanship of again risking a gov’t shutdown in 40-some-odd days.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 1:27 am

I think the Democrats could have thrown support behind McCarthy, so they could make him their b*tch and had some semblance of bipartisanship. Then again, he had made himself such a Trump Yes Man that I can see the animosity and contempt they felt for him.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 10:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think the Democrats could have thrown support behind McCarthy, so they could make him their b*tch and had some semblance of bipartisanship. . .

I think the D’s should have also, but like you say, it’s a big ask.

And we need more than just a semblance of bipartisanship.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 10:48 am

How many votes is it going to take to confirm a speaker this time around and how long will it take oust said person?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 11:26 am

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlei

United States Constitution

Article I, section 5:

“ . . . Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings, punish its members for disorderly behavior, and, with the concurrence of two thirds, expel a member.

“Each House shall keep a journal of its proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such parts as may in their judgment require secrecy; and the yeas and nays of the members of either House on any question shall, at the desire of one fifth of those present, be entered on the journal. . . ”

Expel those disruptive 8.

Each member of the U.S. House of Representatives, represents about 750,000 citizens. If someone leaves, typically the governor of that state will appoint a new representative for the balance of that term.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 11:31 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
How many votes is it going to take to confirm a speaker this time around and how long will it take oust said person?

While we’re not talking about immigration reform.

as well as steady eddie aid to Ukraine, trimming the budget in smart ways,

much less taking on Big Pharma, etc, etc.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:58 pm

Of the 435 members of the U.S. House of Representatives, I’d really like if 150 Democrats and 150 Republicans formed the “Middle of the Road” party. :D