Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 2:54 am

Ok so I just cannot seem to quite get over it, but at my current job we have mops we use to mop dog pens, we have some mops where it is fine to use bleach on them to clean but we also have other ones where on the package of fresh mop heads to replace worn out ones it says very specifically not to use bleach on them because it can ruin the antimicrobial treatment already on the mop heads.

And in my observation not only does it destroy the antimicrobial bit, but like it disinegrates the mop heads much quicker than it would if people would just stop using bleach with them. But so for a time the mops in all rooms were just disgusting disinegrated messes, till they got some new ones....but the new ones have almost ran out and its already again getting to the point where most need a replacement, which seems insane as they had tons of them just last month and are once again back down to practically none.

It's just I know one older employee who is always nice to me is one of the err...bleach offendors but like I don't want to confront her, cause idk she is nice and I don't want to make her feel bad. But I still wonder if I could talk to the supervisor and maybe they could just put a non targeted notice up to not put bleach on those mops...but yeah idk if I should say something or not, I just feel like they might be paying more for mop heads than they need to because some employees are ruining them very quick when they might last longer if they'd follow the instructions and not put bleach on them. Idk what would you do?

and there is for sure a non bleach cleaner availible to use, so its not a matter of bleach being the only option.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:34 pm

I don't think you should say anything to be honest. People will probably still use the bleach if its there.

Personally I hate the smell of bleach. I would much rather use disinfect.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:38 pm

Perhaps you could put forward your concerns regarding people using bleach on the mops to management?

If you state your concerns to people directly, they are more likely to resent you for it and wonder why you are telling them what to do?

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 3:45 pm

You could just casually mention in passing conversation (maybe if you guys end up talking about cleaning or the dog pens) that you noticed some of the mop heads are disintegrating because of people using bleach, so mop heads are going fast, and that they already have anti-microbial stuff that it's neutralizing too. Not even mention anyone specific or any feelings you have about it, just give that info in passing. People will do with that information what they will, whether that's choosing to not use bleach or not giving a f**k and doing it anyways. Your supervisor probably already knows and doesn't care if they haven't said anything yet.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 4:37 pm

Your IQ is probably double that of your coworkers. If you're going to say something, keep that in mind.