[IMPORTANT] Hamas launches foot assault against settlements.

Page 1 of 134 [ 2133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 134  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 2:57 am

There are graphic footage elsewhere... gunmen in the middle of street of Israeli settlments and the Israel's army seems to be in confusion. A lot of civilian bodies in the street.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-10-07/

This is an unprecedented attack in history.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 07 Oct 2023, 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 3:07 am

Well...the cycle never ends.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 4:45 am

Well maybe Israel should stop acting like they do towards the Palestinians, at least that is my opinion.

I mean who wouldn't fight against 'settlers' taking away their homes...I mean I guess I may not fight cause I'm to cowardly but I'd still be pissed if outsiders came in and took my home from me.

Last edited by magz on 10 Oct 2023, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.: Triggering word removed

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 11:25 am

I don’t think there’s ever a good excuse to engage in the type of extreme brutality that’s occurring, especially with civilians.

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Oct 2023, 11:35 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
There are graphic footage elsewhere... gunmen in the middle of street of Israeli settlments and the Israel's army seems to be in confusion. A lot of civilian bodies in the street.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-10-07/

On reddit, there are videos of Hamas storming Isreali bases, with dead isreali soldiers everywhere. Proper ISIS style.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 12:11 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I don’t think there’s ever a good excuse to engage in the type of extreme brutality that’s occurring, especially with civilians.

From Hama's POV, there's no Israeli civilians, in their perspective, every Israeli adult is either a settler or a reserve unit for their army.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 12:19 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
~

In what way is it unprecedented?

The Yom Kippur War of 1973 was an Arab-Israeli conflict of significant magnitude and involved territorial disputes/war.

That war was also launched as a surprise attack.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 12:20 pm

If you mistreat people for years it will get nasty.
Sorry for all of it.A sad situation.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 3:15 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
~

In what way is it unprecedented?

The Yom Kippur War of 1973 was an Arab-Israeli conflict of significant magnitude and involved territorial disputes/war.

That war was also launched as a surprise attack.

The Yom Kippur war was started by two actual nation states with standing armies that had tanks and airforces (the palestinians in this attack have an "airforce" consisting of guys in paragliders) : Egypt and Syria.

Both Syria and Egypt attacked from outside of Israel.Not only that they attacked out in Israel's occupied territories. Israel still controlled and occupied all of the Sinai peninsula, and the Golan Heights. Both attacking nations intended to take back occupied land from Israel, and neither got as far as Israel proper, and supposedly only wanted take back what Israel seized in the six day war of 1967.

This attack is from within Israel itself. By the Palestinians alone with an irregular guerilla type army fighting outward from the Palestinian areas of the Gaza strip and maybe the west bank from within Israel. Palestinian attacks arent new, but a big coordinated attack like this on a scale that mimics that of foreign invading army IS new. Reminds me of the Tet Offensive in Vietnam in 1968.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 3:42 pm

As of this writing, Israel media is claiming 250 of its citizens are dead, and AlJezzera is claiming 232 dead in Gaza. Obviously what follows is speculation as I am not inside the minds of Hamas's leaders. Arguably this is the most successful operation by hostile forces in mainland Israel since the 1948-1949 war that erupted when Israel declared its independence(which is an important difference from the 1973 war this is being compared to). Besides speculating about the timing the speculation about the timing I will speculate about the future in several areas.

A few days ago 800+ Israeli settlers occupied the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. Hamas is claiming this is the cause. I believe it is more a casus belli or at a least little of both.

The second reason that stares one in the face is to try and take advantage of internal divisions in Israel with the ongoing months of mass protests. I expect in the short term a rally around the flag attitude. Already there is talk of a unity government. What Hamas is banking on is what happened in the United States where following 9/11 the biggest rally around the flag effect since WWII occurred but in the long term, 9/11 exacerbated internal differences. Will that happen to Israel? The argument for it won't happen is that, unlike the George Floyd protests, Israel's were not violent and protesters carried Israeli flags and were saying the new government was violating Israel's core values not that the core values were inherently wrong. The argument for it will split Israel is that the protests have exposed irreconcilable differences between Ashkenazi Jews and Mizrahim Jews, and secular and religious Jews.

Also to take into consideration is that Israel's main ally is distracted by its internal divisions, Ukraine, and China.

There has been speculation the attack was timed to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the "Yom Kipper War". The attack occurred the day after the anniversary of the beginning of that conflict. Generally, attacks have not coincided with anniversaries Israelis consider important. Also if there was heightened awareness for the 50th anniversary there might have been a letdown that nothing happened again.

That leaves Hezbollah with its estimated 40,000-150,000 rockets that could arguably overwhelm Israel's Iron Dome defense. As of this writing, it is doing what it has done for the past 17 years, express support but not jumping in. I will defer to Face Of Boo on this matter.

Another big difference now is that Hamas has dozens if not hundreds of Military and civilian hostages in Gaza. The West in general always says we never negotiate with hostage takers but we almost always do so openly or in secret directly or through intermediaries. Israel has the toughest anti-terrorism reputation but it is no different. Most notably they made a deal with Hamas to exchange 1027 prisoners for one soldier. This is really one of those doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same result, more hostage taking.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 3:42 pm

This has to be fake news.. trump made a real estate deal in the middle east for middle east peace! ! ! :roll:

I don't know enough about why they're even fighting each other forever. Complicated, I'm sure. Doesn't make sense that both sides can't just go about their lives living and letting live vs. shelling each other.

I read this morning that hamas launched 5,000 rockets into Israel from Gaza. That's a lot. Apparently funded by Iran.

And the USA funds Israel I guess. So now they've gotta send money and resources there, too ? And will they go level Iran for funding this ? And will China watch on to see what happens and see what resources the USA even has to deploy what with all the funds of the world going to hold putin back in Ukraine ? I'd imagine China's watching to see what hamas can get away with to gauge what, if anything, the world will do if they go storm Taiwan right now.

Probably more wars and territorial disputes bubbling up around the world right now.. what better time to do whatever you want than when the whole world's resources are battling putin in Ukraine.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 4:57 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The Yom Kippur war was started by two actual nation states with standing armies that had tanks and airforces (the palestinians in this attack have an "airforce" consisting of guys in paragliders)

I read the rest of your message, but this line was golden. It gave me a lol.

:lol:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 5:15 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
The Yom Kippur war was started by two actual nation states with standing armies that had tanks and airforces (the palestinians in this attack have an "airforce" consisting of guys in paragliders)

I read the rest of your message, but this line was golden. It gave me a lol.

:lol:

Cheap, very small target to hit = why not?

USA still drops paratroopers and so does every other airforce.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 5:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The argument for it won't happen is that, unlike the George Floyd protests, Israel's were not violent and protesters carried Israeli flags and were saying the new government was violating Israel's core values not that the core values were inherently wrong.

Quote:
BLM and Floyd protests were largely peaceful, data confirms

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2021/0708/BLM-and-Floyd-protests-were-largely-peaceful-data-confirms

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 5:55 pm

Yes. It adds an interesting new dimension to "asymmetrical warfare".