Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2023, 7:41 am

https://apnews.com/article/republican-presidential-candidates-mexico-cartels-fentanyl-trafficking-b4127423a3130967a1fafb0d9fb7526a

Quote:
MIAMI (AP) — Ron DeSantis wants suspected drug smugglers at the U.S.-Mexico border to be shot dead. Nikki Haley promises to send American special forces into Mexico. Vivek Ramaswamy has accused Mexico’s leader of treating drug cartels as his “sugar daddy” and says that if he is elected president, “there will be a new daddy in town.”

Donald Trump, the Republican front-runner for the 2024 nomination and long the person who has shaped his party’s rhetoric on the border, has often blamed Mexico for problems in the United States and promises new uses of military force and covert action if he returns to the White House.

Many of the GOP presidential candidates say they would carry out potential acts of war against Mexico in response to the trafficking of fentanyl and other synthetic opioids. More than 75,000 people in the U.S. died last year from overdoses of synthetic opioids, an annual figure more than 20 times higher than a decade ago.

The candidates’ antagonism toward Mexico is welcomed by some families who have lost loved ones to fentanyl and have argued that Washington has not done enough to address the worst drug crisis in U.S. history. But analysts and nonpartisan experts warn that military force is not the answer and instead fuels the racism and xenophobia that undermine efforts to stop drug trafficking.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2023, 9:26 am

MaxE wrote:
https://apnews.com/article/republican-presidential-candidates-mexico-cartels-fentanyl-trafficking-b4127423a3130967a1fafb0d9fb7526a

Quote:
[...] But analysts and nonpartisan experts warn that military force is not the answer and instead fuels the racism and xenophobia that undermine efforts to stop drug trafficking.

Indeed.

And it seems to me that threats like this could impel Mexico and other Latin American countries to seek out other friends to protect themselves. I worry that we may end up with Chinese or Russian troops at our southern border.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 6:10 pm

Why do so Many Republicans Want to Attack Mexico?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 6:48 pm

So...the GOP would withdraw all military aid to both Ukraine and Israel?

But should wage all out war and conquer and occupy Mexico?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 8:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

No, most of the GOP would probably want to continue supporting Israel. But yes, they probably would want to stop aid to Ukraine.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2023, 9:06 pm

I can't see why 75,000 people dumb enough to kill themselves with a drug should be a reason to go to war.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NFLE, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2023, 11:41 pm

If there wasn't such a demand for drugs in America, the supply side in Mexico would dry up.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 1:56 am

I'm guessing they're talking about specifically targeting the facilities where the fentanyl is made, not a full-scale invasion of Mexico.

Another thing that needs to be considered is that Mexico also has a presidential election next year. AMLO is term-limited (presidents of Mexico are limited to one term for life), and we should consider what approach their candidates may take, in addition to our own candidates.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 4:03 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I'm guessing they're talking about specifically targeting the facilities where the fentanyl is made, not a full-scale invasion of Mexico.

Yes, but that's still an invasion if Mexico has not consented to it. And there will likely be plenty of "collateral damage."

There also seems to be a lot of general anti-Mexican rhetoric among Republicans these days, which scares me.

We REALLY need to stay friends with our neighbors! Not doing so is a major military vulnerability for the U.S.A., it seems to me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 4:29 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

No, most of the GOP would probably want to continue supporting Israel. But yes, they probably would want to stop aid to Ukraine.

True. Trump pandered to Israeli voters like he does to American voters...by moving the US embassy to Jerusalem. And he and Bibi are buddies. But Trump is also buddies with Putin.

Of course the GOP has some good upstanding Israel supporters...like preacher Hagee, who supports Israel precisely BECAUSE he is an anti Semite and a Hitler apologist.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 2:03 pm

Ugh, such a good example of the GOP tripping over their own dicks, Mexican immigrants would be natural allies for them if they'd stop being stupid about them. They're gaining with Latinos in spite of themselves, but they could do so much better if they got smarter about it.

- Rick Sanchez

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 5:31 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Ugh, such a good example of the GOP tripping over their own dicks, Mexican immigrants would be natural allies for them if they'd stop being stupid about them. They're gaining with Latinos in spite of themselves, but they could do so much better if they got smarter about it.

The GOP is giving a platform to knuckle dragging bigots who are worried about the "browning of America," who claim third world immigrants are coming from "Woke societies" (no, they're not, third world cultures tend to be very conservative), and even make absurd claims that Latino caravans are filled with Islamic terrorists (doubtful) or that they're infected with Ebola (which is from Africa, not Latin America). The Republicans have to make the choice of which is more important: the dumbfuck white nationalist/Alt Right vote, or that of newer, browner Americans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 5:52 pm

Is this to stem the flow of drugs into the US?

From the other thread

naturalplastic wrote:
China sends the precuser chemicals to Mexico. Gangs in Mexico make the finnished fentanyl and run the pill presses and send the finnished product to the US. Every news outlet talks about it 24/7...especially now that Shih is visiting Biden.
Several GOP candidates wanna invade Mexico. And we have thread about it in PPR.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 5:58 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Why dont you put down that stiff drink, and Click the link in the original post? :lol:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:

From the other thread

naturalplastic wrote:
China sends the precuser chemicals to Mexico. Gangs in Mexico make the finnished fentanyl and run the pill presses and send the finnished product to the US. Every news outlet talks about it 24/7...especially now that Shih is visiting Biden.
Several GOP candidates wanna invade Mexico. And we have thread about it in PPR.

Yeah sending heavily armed people into Mexico will solve that problem like nobody's business, and the best part is that the Mexicans will pay for it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 6:09 pm

Dox47 wrote:

I agree.

If had been the god of the GOP back in 2016 I would have ordered something like Nixon's "Southern Strategy" on the Hispanic voting bloc. The GOP might have won a good proportion of Hispanics over...thus counter balancing the Dem monopoly on the Black vote.

But then Trump commandeered the GOP and took it in a nativist, xenophobic, racists, and isolationist, direction. And he still rules the GOP. So...no changing direction soon...even if all the other of their candidates can see that it is taking them off a cliff.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 19 Nov 2023, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.