Physicist says we're characters in an advanced virtual world

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2023, 9:24 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... YNgkICgAOQ

Quote:

Are we living in a simulation? Physicist claims he has new evidence we're simply characters in an advanced virtual world

New law of physics supports the concept we're living in a computer simulation
It's put forward by the man who said we're facing an 'information catastrophe'

In the blockbuster movie The Matrix, protagonist Neo, played by Keanu Reeves, discovers we're living in a simulated reality hundreds of years from now.

While many of us take comfort in the fact this concept is consigned to science fiction, a researcher claims it may actually be true.

Melvin Vopson, an associate professor in physics at the University of Portsmouth, claims we may be characters in an advanced virtual world.

He claims that the physical behaviour of information in our universe resembles the process of a computer deleting or compressing code – a clue that perhaps the machines hope we don't notice.

Professor Vopson has already warned of an impending 'information catastrophe', when we run out of energy to sustain huge amounts of digital information.

'My studies point to a bizarre and interesting possibility that we don't live in an objective reality and that the entire universe might be just a super advanced virtual reality simulation,' Professor Vopson said.

Last year, the academic – from Romania – established a new law of physics, called the 'second law of information dynamics' to explain how information behaves.

His law establishes that the 'entropy', or disorder, in a system of information decreases rather than increases.

This new law came as somewhat of a surprise, because it's the opposite of the second law of thermodynamics established in the 1850s, which explains why we cannot unscramble an egg or why a glass cannot unbreak itself.

As it turns out, the second law of infodynamics explains the behaviour of information in a way that the old law cannot.

'The second law of infodynamics requires the minimisation of the information content associated with any event or process in the universe,' he told MailOnline.

'To put it simply, everything appears to evolve to an equilibrium state where the information content is minimal.

'Such behaviour is fully reminiscent of the rules deployed in programming languages and computer coding.

'Simulating a super complex universe like ours would require a built-in data optimisation and compression mechanism in order to reduce the computational power and the data storage requirements to run the simulation.

'This is exactly what we are observing via empirical evidence all around us, including in digital data, biological systems, atomistic systems, mathematical symmetries, and the entire universe.

'This is what the second law of infodynamics reveals, so one logical conclusion is that, while not giving a definite proof, it surely underpins the simulated universe theory.'

According to Professor Vopson, symmetry that we observe in the everyday world, such as butterflies or flowers or starfish, supports the simulation theory.

His findings demonstrate that high symmetry corresponds to the lowest information entropy state, potentially explaining nature's inclination towards it.

'All biological life presents some form of symmetry, all solids and crystals have symmetries, the laws of physics, etc,' he told MailOnline.

'The universe has this built-in mechanism to optimize the computation of everything.

'Symmetry is the best way of optimising or rendering the digitally constructed world and this is why we have symmetries everywhere rather than asymmetries.'

The simulation theory is not unique to Professor Vopson; in fact, it's popular among a number of well-known figures including Tesla founder Elon Musk.

It comes within a branch of science known as information physics, which suggests physical reality is fundamentally made up of bits of information.

Bits are the basic unit of information that power computing and digital communications, including streaming services such as Netflix.

Professor Vopson has already gained attention for his stunning proclamations in the field of physics.

He's already said that information should be considered the fifth state of matter, following solid, liquid, gas and plasma.

This principle has 'attracted a fair share of skepticism', the academic admits, as most scientists consider the fifth state of matter instead to be Bose–Einstein condensate.

He even claims that information has mass and so could be the elusive dark matter that makes up almost a third of the universe.

And he warned that the number of digital bits will overtake the number of atoms on Earth within 150 years, leading to 'information catastrophe'.

This will mark the point at which the maximum possible digital information has been created, as well as the maximum power at which to sustain it.

His study has been published in AIP Advances.

https://pubs.aip.org/aip/adv/article/13 ... cs-and-its

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 5:21 am

Well if that is true, probably not much we can do about it.....aside from accept everyone else are NPCs which means we are also Npcs. :skull:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 5:26 am

Idk here is a dumb thing to watch having to do with npcs:

Also 13th floor is an instersting movie that also has that kind of idea.

LOl I just figure the go to is the matrix films but they aren't the only ones who explored the 'is reality real' line of thought.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 7:00 am

Weve had several recent threads about this already.

Maybe we are. Doesnt make much difference in our lives if its true.

And...maybe ...if we all are characters in a game of Farmville...being played by a geeky kid in his parents' basement in another world then...maybe THAT kid is a character in a game of Farmville being played by someone else in a still other world. And THAT player is a character in a game of Farmville in.... so on.

And maybe...it circles around...and the person at say ...the twelfth layer reality...of playing farmville...is a character in... the game of Farmville that YOU are playing on your device as we speak!

In which case...if you decide to delete that character...it will cause all of the other characters at each of the levels of farmville to also vanish...and it will circle around ...causing this whole Unverse that we are in to...go poof! :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 9:41 am

I'd like to re-roll my stats, please.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 12:11 pm

The more stories I read about reincarnation, the more it sounds like we ARE in a simulation. It basically serves the same purpose.

The only problem I have with Simulation Theory is that it doesn't solve the "why are we here?" problem. You can say "Oh, life is just one big simulation." but then who created the simulation? And who created the creator? Etc. etc.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 4:41 pm

The only problem I have with Simulation Theory is that I cannot find the "Ctrl-Break" keys.

I should at least have access to a pop-up menu for skills, treasure, et cetera.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 10:12 am

Fnord wrote:
The only problem I have with Simulation Theory is that I cannot find the "Ctrl-Break" keys.

I should at least have access to a pop-up menu for skills, treasure, et cetera.

Astral projection?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 6:22 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The only problem I have with Simulation Theory is that I cannot find the "Ctrl-Break" keys.  I should at least have access to a pop-up menu for skills, treasure, et cetera.
Astral projection?
Trade one lie for another?  No thank you!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 8:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The only problem I have with Simulation Theory is that I cannot find the "Ctrl-Break" keys.  I should at least have access to a pop-up menu for skills, treasure, et cetera.
Astral projection?

No, he's telling you astral projection is how one accesses the pop-up menu you're looking to access.

I haven't figured it out either. :nerdy:

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 8:12 pm

I wonder what the world running the virtual world is like :mrgreen:

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2023, 12:54 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Fnord wrote:
SabbraCadabra wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Astral projection?
No, he's telling you astral projection is how one accesses the pop-up menu you're looking to access.  I haven't figured it out either.
Oh.  In that case, how many experience points to unlock the "Astral Projection" skill?

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2023, 4:16 pm

Fnord wrote:
Oh.  In that case, how many experience points to unlock the "Astral Projection" skill?

I think it's just something you have to practice.
My friend was doing it for a while, but he said eventually, the longer he stayed outside of his body, when he came back, he would find scratches all over himself. He said things started to get really bad and he had to stop.

No thanks. Don't need no malevolent spirits trying to hijack my body while I'm gone.

But then again, he really enjoyed going to graveyards and taunting the spirits to follow him home.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 11:08 am

This was a really neat conversation Jason Reza Jorjani had with Prof Selwyn Griffith about simulation.

The short version - Jorjani sees Logos and the ur language that all linguistics stem from are effectively an LLM containing the universe that we expereince and we're something like AI's feeding prompts back to it.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2023, 5:50 pm

This was some wild luck. Three hours of Joscha Bach on this exact topic - just posted today.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2023, 8:39 am

The more time I spend developing game environments, the more sense this theory makes!