Anyone here make their own games too?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 5:29 pm

Esme wrote:
Readydaer wrote:
I certainly have an interest in learning, and I have loads of great ideas, but I'm only an excellent writer and pretty good composer (composing only, I'm not good at making full fledged songs!). I've tried coding and it's just so hard to wrap my head around. My main interest right now is making a Touhou-style bullet hell shooter but no luck so far.

One day I want to be a narrative writer for video games

You have the opposite type of brain to me! :D I love the coding part and my least favourite thing is writing and music (followed closely by building the level environments, which I can do but find boring as hell as it takes so long deciding where to put things)! I'm using a lot of royalty free music for the game and Chat-GPT for the quests (basically cheating, don't judge me!). But I'd much rather do the logic/mechanics stuff all day long.

What is it about the coding that you find difficult? If you're more visual, have you tried something like Unreal blueprints? You might find that easier to understand. It's a good way to learn the basics of OOP and how things are structured.

I won't judge. I used an AI for my book cover so I really can't :lol: and yeah my specialty is worldbuilding and character interactions. The basic premise for that failed game I mentioned is that a female scientist with her crew in the future on a space station orbiting a black hole periodically temporarily enters it, where she finds a parallel world eventually revealed to be her future, involving an eldritch goddess that controls photons. On the music side I really just think of Touhou music and compose something like that, giving it my own flair.

It's the whole different language of logic for me that's hard to understand. I'd much rather input "Make the oval projectiles arc in a parabola and then semi-randomly fall towards the player" than all of the actual math required to make that happen. I've never heard of blueprint before, but isn't Unreal used for huge and complex games? I'm only really interested in smaller 2D ones anyway, that's as much ambition as I can handle thinking about.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 6:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I designed my own naval war simulation game...pre computer...using hex sheets tables and dice...to simulate naval warfare of the two world wars. Battleships, cruisers, destroyers. Pushing cardboard markers around ...shooting at each other. twenty sided dice and six sided dice. More addicting than smoking crack. Its all still packed in a box. Havent touched it in a while.

That sounds fun.

Ever heard of Evil Stevie's Pirate Game?

Never heard of it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 6:21 pm

Esme wrote:
Anyone here make their own games too?
Yes, but only in the dice-paper-pencil form, where people actually talk to each other in person and have to cooperate to achieve their goals.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 6:29 pm

Esme wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I designed my own naval war simulation game...pre computer...using hex sheets tables and dice...to simulate naval warfare of the two world wars. Battleships, cruisers, destroyers. Pushing cardboard markers around ...shooting at each other. twenty sided dice and six sided dice. More addicting than smoking crack. Its all still packed in a box. Havent touched it in a while.

That sounds insanely complicated! I think I'd develop tourettes trying to build something with only paper and dice. Much respect!

Yes.It became quite ambitious. Plagarized from other games, especially from a British game a friend used for model ships. You move the models and use tape measures, but did a lot of my own research and math too.

It was playable, but would have been more so with computer help.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 6:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That sounds fun.

Never heard of it.

Wow...a whole subculture in which "adult men and women sit on the floor and play with toy boats and say 'arrrrr'". A cross between Dungeons and Dragons and chess (roleplaying with typical war gaming). Could be interesting.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 7:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

That sounds fun.

Never heard of it.

Wow...a whole subculture in which "adult men and women sit on the floor and play with toy boats and say 'arrrrr'". A cross between Dungeons and Dragons and chess (roleplaying with typical war gaming). Could be interesting.

Definitely.

Evil Stevie is Steve Jackson of Steve Jackson Games fame, so he knows how to write a good ruleset.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2023, 9:47 am

Readydaer wrote:
my specialty is worldbuilding and character interactions. The basic premise for that failed game I mentioned is that a female scientist with her crew in the future on a space station orbiting a black hole periodically temporarily enters it, where she finds a parallel world eventually revealed to be her future, involving an eldritch goddess that controls photons. On the music side I really just think of Touhou music and compose something like that, giving it my own flair.

It's the whole different language of logic for me that's hard to understand. I'd much rather input "Make the oval projectiles arc in a parabola and then semi-randomly fall towards the player" than all of the actual math required to make that happen. I've never heard of blueprint before, but isn't Unreal used for huge and complex games? I'm only really interested in smaller 2D ones anyway, that's as much ambition as I can handle thinking about.

That sounds like an interesting mix! I'll be digitally cheering you on!

Unreal can do a lot of things - complex 3D Skyrim style RPGs, 2D side scrollers, battle royales like Fortnite, film/animations, VR, realistic adverts, etc. It has built in templates that you can use for whatever you are working on. So you just work with the components your project needs. I switched over from Unity several years back and love it!

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 10:59 am

Esme wrote:

That sounds like an interesting mix! I'll be digitally cheering you on!

Unreal can do a lot of things - complex 3D Skyrim style RPGs, 2D side scrollers, battle royales like Fortnite, film/animations, VR, realistic adverts, etc. It has built in templates that you can use for whatever you are working on. So you just work with the components your project needs. I switched over from Unity several years back and love it!

Thanks and I see, I'll look into it.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

24 Oct 2023, 2:04 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Even if a person knows how to code a game, it will probably only be a rudimentary game since mainstream type games that are playable on consoles or PC's tend to have bigger budgets and lots of manpower to make them, relative to a single individual doing it as a hobby.

Idk man you can make full on 3d games with
various free versions of engines. Some collabs are better than their commercial counterparts. Ever notice how Smash Bros is starting to look a lot like Mugen?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 3:51 pm

GeekyFreak wrote:
Ever notice how Smash Bros is starting to look a lot like Mugen?

Image?

Ben Dee
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Oct 2023, 7:51 pm

I studied Games Design in University and am working on a game of my own, spent a lot of time modding too, your experience mirrors mine quite closely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 7:58 pm

No one seems interested in pencil-paper-dice games any more.  It's all about video games.

:(

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Ben Dee
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Oct 2023, 12:08 am

Fnord wrote:
No one seems interested in pencil-paper-dice games any more.  It's all about video games.

:(

Sure there are. I play a tabletop role playing game with some friends every week. They're just not something people do quite as often with other folks online, for obvious reasons, so they're not spoken about as much online, that's all.

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2023, 7:43 pm

I've been working on a 2D platformer using Godot. I'm impressed by the simplicity of it in terms of the built-in functions, the scene/node structure, and GDScript itself. You don't really need to know how to code, you just need to understand logic. Building a system of state functions (and making a debug overlay that shows each one) was a good idea.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 1:30 am

Yeah I have been slowly learning PySDL and working on a few game ideas. I also want to work on a few remake of DOS like games. I have some other programs I am working on first, but I am slowly working through my programs and finishing them up.