MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 8:18 pm

BugsBunnyFan wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
What if someone's dealing with both? :scratch:

That was me. There OCD bits tend to improve when anxiety does. The ASD ones don't really change much typically other than your enthusiasm for it. With OCD, the more you indulge, the worse it gets.

But, the one you've gotten credit for tends to mask the other.

I think it’s the same for me. I feel like I get more OCD looking traits when my anxiety is worse. I guess when I engage with ASD interests I’m distracted and my anxiety goes down. I just don’t have the most overt compulsions. I know it’s possible to have more subtle versions of OCD. I think since I have an autism diagnosis, it’s easy to just label anything vaguely autistic as autism.

I know I can’t treat my OCD looking obsessions the same way I treat autistic obsessions. I find my OCD looking obsessions also sneak up on me because I usually assume any obsession I have is just autism. Growing up people also dismissed any OCDish obsession. They just scolded me nonstop about being autistic and obsessive. So I’ve obsessed for years about how to hide obsessions.

The best thing for OCD is to try to figure out what's causing the anxiety and address it if that's relevant or learn some exercises for increasing your tolerance. Personally, I had it the other way, I knew I had OCD, I didn't know about the ADHD and ASD until much later, so I attributed a lot of that to the OCD when the OCD was probably a lot less significant than I realized. (It's probably also part of why treatment worked so effectively, I hadn't gone as far down the OCD road as it had seemed at the time as I was misattributing ADHD and ASD things to it)

That being said, I'm not sure distinguishing which is which is really that useful as OCD is also an executive functioning condtion and I wouldn't be surpised if we eventually decide that it's one of the ASD frontiers in the anxious direction in the way that Schizoid Personality Disorder is essentially the frontier in Anxiety/eccentric thinking direction.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Nov 2023, 4:43 am

Edna3362 wrote:
Autistic obsessions are 'reward based' whether the person wants it or not.

OCD are 'avoid the punishment anxiety based' whether or not it's rational.
Sometimes I enjoy my obsessions but eventially go so far that I quit enjoying them & start feeling anxious if I don't do them. Sometimes enjoying & trying to avoid feeling anxious can alternate. Sometimes my OCD obsessions are due to fear about something else & trying to address the cause of that fear can reduce or stop the OCD. The med Buspar majorly helps my anxiety in general which also reduces the anxiety aspect of my OCD; & the med Neurontin reduces my urge to engage in compulsions but does not really help my anxiety. So the two meds help slightly different things for me & the combo works really well for me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mackereltabby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Dec 2023, 1:31 am

I have both ocd and asd and for me the biggest thing is that while both cause numerous struggles for me I know that ocd is mostly anxiety-based whereas asd obsessions feel less stressful to an extent. For example one of my biggest compulsions that i’ve dealt with because of ocd is repetitive handwashing, which I have spent years treating and I know innately is irrational and silly behavior on my end. But I get so deeply nervous and anxious if I don’t do the task of washing my hands so I do it despite knowing it makes no sense.
Whereas with an asd-based obsession I feel like I can usually pinpoint it as more of just the “way my brain works” and be more accepting of it versus ocd obsessions which feel antagonistic and only detrimental to my life. Even if I am annoyed by an asd obsession it never gets that point of pure raw panic for me, more just frustration and lots of discontentment

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 10:49 am

Autism special interests should recharge your batteries. An anxiety related interest would be draining your batteries.

People like myself who are not on the autism spectrum and do not experience more than regular everyday anxiety do not have any special positive OR negative energy coming from interests. I might have energy coming from an activity, such as eating or jogging, but not from spending time with an interest.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2024, 8:47 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
Autism special interests should recharge your batteries. An anxiety related interest would be draining your batteries.

People like myself who are not on the autism spectrum and do not experience more than regular everyday anxiety do not have any special positive OR negative energy coming from interests. I might have energy coming from an activity, such as eating or jogging, but not from spending time with an interest.

Pretty much this...in my humble opinion.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jan 2024, 1:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:

Pretty much this...in my humble opinion.
It's not this black & white for me. My special interest are usually relaxing but there can be aspects about them that I find draining. For example I really enjoy listening to music & find it energizing but trying to find music to DL & organizing my music collection can be tedious & draining. I can also feel anxious if I don't have everything by a certain artist in great quality or if my collection is not organized a certain way while I'm doing it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2024, 1:43 pm

That something horrific will happen