The Mirena Coil/IUD being removed (or any type of IUD)

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 8:15 am

Good luck tomorrow!
You'll feel better once it's said and done.
Hubby should be getting his V at the same time.
He's next!

PS Can't you Uber there?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2023, 10:33 am

Thanks.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 10:43 am

Well it is removed, the doctor was more caring and relaxed this time. The last doctor who fitted my coil was impatient, barking orders at me. See what happens now! Will I turn back into a hormonal monster...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 10:55 am

Deep breaths!
I'm really glad it's removed since it was considered the right time.
Congrats on walking there and getting it done despite your anxiety.
I'm sure there will be followup to see what care you'll need next.
That might include hormonal testing, or a procedure for your hubby.

Good luck!

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 11:23 am

I'm so glad it went well. I hope you can relax and take it easy for a while and get over the experience, which I'm sure was not easy. Any doctor visit or procedure can be very hard to deal with.

As far as the hormones, can you take replacement hormones in pill form?

My experience with menopause has been that I feel so much calmer and less prone to anger since I no longer get PMS and the hormonal fluctuations of the menstrual cycle. Maybe you'll feel fine without the hormones? I don't know, since everyone is different.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 11:43 am

Thanks, Isabella and Bee. They said to go back if I get any bleeding in future, because at my age I shouldn't get periods again, thank god! I had such awful heavy, agonising periods, I had to have prescription painkillers because they were so painful, and so heavy. I don't know how I managed to work full time all those years. The coil was like a miracle because it stopped those. These last 15 years or so without periods have been heavenly though.

Of course, today it was a young doctor I've never seen before and probably never will again, so her information isn't personal to me, it probably won't apply to me as usual :roll: But we'll see...She said no contraception is needed at all after age 55. I'm not listening to that though, we shall use it for a while anyway, I don't want to get caught out.

Last edited by KitLily on 07 Dec 2023, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 12:20 pm

Mine were so bad I had to use beach towels for several days each time. No exaggeration. I also had PMDD and endo all over my organs including my kidneys.

I needed prescription meds for pain but also to keep me from bleeding to death or hemorrhaging each time. That second medication reduced the output.

I hope things make a smooth transition for you and that menopause will be well underway.

Rest up as you might be sore for a couple of days. I remember my daughter felt quite poorly when hers was removed.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 3:32 pm

Thanks Isabella :)

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 5:24 am

Glad to hear it went well. It's possible to still have periods at 55, though pregnancy chance would be pretty much 0. Any of those celebrity people over 50 who got babies used donor eggs.

I got horrible periods, too. They suggested Mirena but I figured I was 50 and it might stop soon. Anyway I managed with tranexamic acid. It reduced it enough so I can get some decent sleep at night. Oh I also switched to using menstrual disc. Wish I found those much earlier.

Relax and see how your body respond. Hopefully it's just a small transition. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 7:07 am

Thanks y-pod.

Oh what is a menstrual disc? Never heard of that.

I wonder if any woman has easy periods, tbh. Nearly everyone I know has/had awful periods. My friend pointed out that women are actually not meant to have constant periods, we're meant to be constantly pregnant like other mammals, so we shouldn't be on this monthly rollercoaster anyway. And doctors are mystified because they haven't had to deal with women having constant periods for long enough to know what to do with us. Probably only since the 1960s when the Pill arrived.

I think that makes sense to me in some ways.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 8:20 am

KitLily wrote:
Thanks y-pod.

Oh what is a menstrual disc? Never heard of that.

I wonder if any woman has easy periods, tbh. Nearly everyone I know has/had awful periods. My friend pointed out that women are actually not meant to have constant periods, we're meant to be constantly pregnant like other mammals, so we shouldn't be on this monthly rollercoaster anyway. And doctors are mystified because they haven't had to deal with women having constant periods for long enough to know what to do with us. Probably only since the 1960s when the Pill arrived.

I think that makes sense to me in some ways.

Menstrual discs are silicone cups that collect the blood inside near the cervix. They're larger and softer than menstrual cups and don't "suck" onto anything. I use the Diva disc because it's locally available in every store. I think they all work the same, though. I learned about them from here: https://www.periodnirvana.com/

I don't know if you used tampons and cups before. If you did and are familiar with your anatomy this should be an easy switch. I had no problem from the first try.

Hopefully you won't need any of these any more. I agree with the constantly pregnant theory. :) But then we're probably not meant to live so many years after menopause either. I'd still take periods over raising ten babies. :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 9:07 am

Oh I see, yes I did use tampons due to the heaviness of the period. Ugh. Horrible memories of periods and trying to discreetly go to the toilet at work, argh! And I remember when I was a young girl, some old male colleagues making fun of me because I was tired and ill at that time of the month. Weirdos.

Anyway! Yes I think most women died in childbirth after a while, certainly I've noticed that while researching my ancestors. Childbirth or complications were the main cause of female death. So yes, periods aren't so bad! haha.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 11:48 am

Oh ya those poor women who didn't have modern health care. :( Actually my great grandma died when she was 33, after giving birth to her sixth child. Women in my family should survive a long time otherwise. My grandma lived to 102 with no health issues. All her siblings had robust health. They all lived to ripe old age with just basic health care like vaccines and antibiotics and some dentures.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 12:59 pm

I had my DNA tested years ago and have been researching my ancestors. The number of census entries with: widower aged 23, baby aged <1 but no mother are heart breaking... Some of my great x granddads had many wives one after the other when the previous wife died young.

I think people were generally tougher in the past. Because they had to be! Either they were strong or they died, simple as that. I think children had a 50:50 chance of survival and so did women giving birth. Whereas men were 50:50 fighting in wars. Life was a lot harder and shorter. We're all a bit spoilt now days!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2023, 4:07 am

Great (!) 2 days after the coil was removed, I'm now getting period cramps and feeling ill. I'm 55. Periods should all be over by now FFS. I'll see if I get bleeding too. *sigh*

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 3:32 pm

Yes, I've got the feeling that my periods are just going to restart again now the coil is gone. WTF. I suppose I'll just have to go back and ask for yet another coil to be fitted. I don't mind the coil but FFS when will I be free of periods and worrying about contraception?