Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2023, 11:24 pm

Seem like the dealership owners miiiight be smoking crack.

Went and browsed a few local used car dealers with my uncle yesterday. He was considering buying something for his granddaughter to drive.

Prices are sky high due to shortages of computer processor chips for new cars, so with 6 month wait lists to get a new car delivered, used car prices are sky high. Cars that should be $8-10k are $20k etc. Similar cracked out pricing across the board.

The worst example was a 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage on a lot for $29,888.00 Umm, wtf? A brand new 2023/2024 one of those starts at $18k cdn. A 4 year old one is nearly $30k? I pointed this out to the salesman and he says "But what is the availability, Sir? There is a 6 month waiting list so this is the market price." Lol get f****d. We left.

Also notable were a few 2023 Toyota Corollas (I think new vs. used).. the hybrid ones were $45k. Add taxes and doc fees and all that and you're talking like $51K+ for a Toyota COROLLA! 8O

Crazy. His 1995 Pontiac has very low kms on it and a really clean interior, just a few dents in one fender where someone hit it - big whoop. It needs about $1k worth of work - replace a warped brake rotor, get the turn signals working, put some used tires on it and it's fine to drive. Added bonus: His granddaughter won't like driving it because it's not "stylish," so she'll actually save her paycheques and then go buy herself another car instead of just keeping his. (Hers got written off in an accident that wasn't her fault.)

Anyone who buys an expensive used car right now is nuts. Someone who spends $20k on a used car today is going to find its worth about $7500 in 3 years when new car supply smooths out and people can conveniently buy new again. If I HAD TO buy a car I'd buy something for $2500 tops and limp it around for a few years until used car prices come down out of the stratosphere.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 4:45 am

Man you're getting stiffed on houses and cars...

Old Camry FTW!

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 7:54 am

We can't buy cheap used cars here because our winters are so harsh.
A $2500 car wouldn't be roadworthy in two feet of snow and ice, at -30C.
I could never have one myself because I have children.
Their safety had / has to come first.
I used to do about 25,000 km / year just taking them to their activities.
Now that they're driving it's even more important.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2023, 8:48 am

In 1980, I got a new Chevette for $4000. Two years later, a drunk driving a loaded lumber truck forced me off the road and totalled the car. (His passenger made him stop. He was unaware anything had happened.) I went to the same dealer and ordered the same options on the same model Chevette (except 1982 model now). It cost $6000. I was so incensed by the $2000 cost increase for the same car in 2 years that I swore I would never buy a new car again.
41 years later, I have kept my word. I put 300k to 540k miles on each of the used cars I buy.

If everyone who was able to hold on to their vehicles until they literally couldn't be kept running would do so, the manufacturers would have no choice but to bring prices back down. Used prices would come down in proportion. The artificially high prices only work because sheeple want (not need) new cars and are willing to pay the insane prices to get them.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 8:53 am

My car is 13 years old and has almost 300,000 km.

I hold onto cars too.
There's no way I can buy another.

It was in the shop two weeks ago and cost $850.
Not bad.

Today it goes back and I think the work will be free.
It's leaking brake fluid.
I think they didn't secure a line or something.

Chances are when I need a new car I'll get my mother's.
I don't love her car but it's barely ever been driven.
It's in good shape.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 9:00 am

When I see the prices to purchase a car, or when I consider the running costs, I am glad I am in a position not to need a car.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 9:47 am

That's a good reason for me not to get a car. That's why I buy Hot Wheels. It's the only way that cars are affordable for me.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2023, 2:46 pm

Comet Zed wrote:

Old Camry FTW!

*Corolla.

Gas is also very expensive here compared to the rest of the continent. Camry’s suck back a lot more gas than Corollas.

I drive a Corolla sized Dodge largely for that reason. I could switch to driving the truck more, but then my fuel bill would go from ~$500-600 to $1100-1200/month when I’m driving daily.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2023, 10:54 pm

i useta think the puget sound corridor had the #1 worst used car prices, until i visited kansas city, THEY have the #1 most ridiculous OBSCENE used car prices AND most dealers won't even allow test drives, you're just supposed to trust the dealer that the car drives ok. ridiculous. :roll:

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2023, 11:18 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Seem like the dealership owners miiiight be smoking crack.

Went and browsed a few local used car dealers with my uncle yesterday. He was considering buying something for his granddaughter to drive.

Prices are sky high due to shortages of computer processor chips for new cars, so with 6 month wait lists to get a new car delivered, used car prices are sky high. Cars that should be $8-10k are $20k etc. Similar cracked out pricing across the board.

The worst example was a 2020 Mitsubishi Mirage on a lot for $29,888.00 Umm, wtf? A brand new 2023/2024 one of those starts at $18k cdn. A 4 year old one is nearly $30k? I pointed this out to the salesman and he says "But what is the availability, Sir? There is a 6 month waiting list so this is the market price." Lol get f****d. We left.

Also notable were a few 2023 Toyota Corollas (I think new vs. used).. the hybrid ones were $45k. Add taxes and doc fees and all that and you're talking like $51K+ for a Toyota COROLLA! 8O

Crazy. His 1995 Pontiac has very low kms on it and a really clean interior, just a few dents in one fender where someone hit it - big whoop. It needs about $1k worth of work - replace a warped brake rotor, get the turn signals working, put some used tires on it and it's fine to drive. Added bonus: His granddaughter won't like driving it because it's not "stylish," so she'll actually save her paycheques and then go buy herself another car instead of just keeping his. (Hers got written off in an accident that wasn't her fault.)

Anyone who buys an expensive used car right now is nuts. Someone who spends $20k on a used car today is going to find its worth about $7500 in 3 years when new car supply smooths out and people can conveniently buy new again. If I HAD TO buy a car I'd buy something for $2500 tops and limp it around for a few years until used car prices come down out of the stratosphere.

Hey goldfish21, fellow lower mainlander here.

I know the struggle very well, the used car market is f***ing nuts. My old Chevy truck finally bit the dust in late September after 8 years of faithful service. It ended up needing 6000.00+ dollars of work on what was according to Canadian black book value a 4800.00 truck, so I sold her as a parts truck and was without wheels for 2 months. I was in the market for a small Japanese economy car but the price to buy a 20 year old Toyota Corolla in somewhat decent condition was 5000.00+ which i cannot afford at the moment. Thankfully I lucked out my cousin ended up needing to offload his vehicle because he does not drive much and doesn't like it because it's a gas guzzler. Long story short I am sure happy to have a car again.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 11:31 pm

Canadian Freedom Lover wrote:
...I lucked out my cousin ended up needing to offload his vehicle because he does not drive much and doesn't like it because it's a gas guzzler. Long story short I am sure happy to have a car again.

if you don't mind can you tell me what kinda gas guzzler you got now?

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2023, 11:51 pm

Campingbare wrote:
In 1980, I got a new Chevette for $4000. Two years later, a drunk driving a loaded lumber truck forced me off the road and totalled the car. (His passenger made him stop. He was unaware anything had happened.) I went to the same dealer and ordered the same options on the same model Chevette (except 1982 model now). It cost $6000. I was so incensed by the $2000 cost increase for the same car in 2 years that I swore I would never buy a new car again.
41 years later, I have kept my word. I put 300k to 540k miles on each of the used cars I buy.

If everyone who was able to hold on to their vehicles until they literally couldn't be kept running would do so, the manufacturers would have no choice but to bring prices back down. Used prices would come down in proportion. The artificially high prices only work because sheeple want (not need) new cars and are willing to pay the insane prices to get them.

I have the same philosophy as you when it comes to buying cars. I worked in the automotive industry for 4 years and learned a lot about cars during my time there. One things I learned was that new cars are overpriced and not worth the extra money. Why would I pay full price for new when I can buy a used car with 150,000KM for a fraction of the price with 50% or more of its life left in it? And I whole heartedly believe that everyone should drive their cars into the ground because it's not only better for your bank account its better for the planet too.

Also I would like to know how you got so many miles out of your vehicles, were you diligent with regular maintenance? Did you have to do any major repairs on these vehicles? I am assuming with those mileage numbers that you were buying Toyota or Honda?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 11:52 pm

one thing i'll say about new cars is that they're in general a lot quieter than they useta be, and smoother.

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

03 Dec 2023, 11:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
...I lucked out my cousin ended up needing to offload his vehicle because he does not drive much and doesn't like it because it's a gas guzzler. Long story short I am sure happy to have a car again.

03 Infiniti g35

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2023, 11:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:

03 Infiniti g35

that is one nice car :)

Canadian Freedom Lover
Raven
Raven

04 Dec 2023, 12:02 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Comet Zed wrote:

Old Camry FTW!

*Corolla.

Gas is also very expensive here compared to the rest of the continent. Camry’s suck back a lot more gas than Corollas.

I drive a Corolla sized Dodge largely for that reason. I could switch to driving the truck more, but then my fuel bill would go from ~$500-600 to $1100-1200/month when I’m driving daily.

V6 Camrys can be a little thirsty but the 4cyl ones are not too bad , only about 3 mpg less than a Corolla. 4cyl Camrys are a good used car option because most people assume they are pigs on gas they usually sell for much less, sometimes 2-3k less for a Camry that's in the same condition and milage as a comparable Corolla.