Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2023, 10:04 pm

Hi! I need motivation beyond the natural to walk. I generally hate exercise. It makes me feel yucky. I have the "Evidation" app that gives me points for walking and completing surveys or reading articles about health. (https://tinyurl.com/y5r8antz) But it isn't quite enough to give me the dopamine I need to overcome my resistance. This app gives you points for completing tasks and when you get to 10,000 points, they send you a $10 gift card. I love this but, it's not immediate enough...I think. I'm wondering if anyone has any other reward programs that may help. Thanks in advance!

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 10:07 pm

I've found a great motivator through out the week is not wanting to be a liability to my team on Tuesday.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 10:09 pm

the reward for me was being able to fit into my pants after some weight loss. my joints then ached a bit less with fewer pounds to carry around.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 9:33 am

It's for my nervous system.

My main motivation is simply self regulation.
I want to uptake more proprioception and interoception intake.

I like that post workout physical tiredness, numb-like and weakness to the joints sensations...
To a point I do not mind the sores the days after; it makes me less distractedly and automatically too conscious and "mindful" over my proprioception.

Sadly my current job only gave me either a choice of doing it once a week ideally afternoons after a full cycles of sleep and relaxation -- or attempt work out tired at weekdays and Saturday night after a full-time job.

Workout at morning before work won't work for me.
I cannot wake up that early. I already do not have enough sleep for this body as it is.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jan 2024, 11:51 pm

I've tried to go walk since Christmas, but I just can't seem to make myself go. Once I'm walking, I'm usually fine. It's the getting started that's the hard part. I've asked my husband to tell me to go walk, and he has once or twice and that was super helpful, but he doesn't seem to want to do that regularly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2024, 11:56 pm

i sure miss being able to comfortably walk.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jan 2024, 9:49 pm

Hubby walked with me today at the mall which was nice. I did get suckered in to the high end skin care place though. Hubby abandoned me but on the way home we talked about my inability to resist because of the difficulty with standing up for myself, it's kinda the same thing with the high pressure sales. Eeek! But I got a good walk in!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 8:56 am

My reward is a glass of milk and two pieces of hot toast dripping in butter.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 11:35 am

The reward was liver repair for me ;p

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2024, 3:20 pm

improved sleep.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 3:13 pm

I just walk to WalMart and buy essential groceries. The reward is that I don't run out of food. There's another walk I take which has no particular purpose like that, but the scenery is relatively pleasant and the punishment is limited to the occasional car going by (no sidewalks, so that always puts me slightly on edge). Just being able to smell the fresh air is another reward. A lot depends on where the individual lives - nobody in their right mind would want to walk about in an ugly, traffic-infested, polluted, or dangerous place, and many people live in such areas. And I usually feel a bit better about myself if I know I've taken a bit of exercise.

I don't use a smartphone and I'm suspicious of these fitness "apps." No particular reason except they must involve tracking, and a general ideological view that we shouldn't need sophisticated gizmos to do basic things. I don't know how that $10 gift voucher thing works, but I can't imagine the company concerned would simply give money away if they weren't expecting to make a net gain out of the user.

The other day I got some exercise by hand-sawing some wood for a project I'm working on. I didn't enjoy it much, but the reward was that the wood is now cut to size.

Of course the main problem with exercise is that the human race has been too "successful" for its own good, and has arranged things so that exercise is no longer directly necessary for getting important things done. That's why I try to find ways of giving exercise a practical purpose. It helps that I don't drive and that there are no buses where I'm currently living.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 3:17 pm

Ceallaigh wrote:
I've tried to go walk since Christmas, but I just can't seem to make myself go. Once I'm walking, I'm usually fine. It's the getting started that's the hard part. I've asked my husband to tell me to go walk, and he has once or twice and that was super helpful, but he doesn't seem to want to do that regularly.

I'm sure I'd also benefit from being given a push, but nice people find it hard to do. I can understand it. I hate pushing people around myself, even though I know that sometimes it does more good than harm.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 3:22 pm

I love exercises me.

I'm actually thinking about giving yogo a try but I don't know if my ADHD brain could manage holding a pose for any length of time. But I think I would benefit from it if I could get passed that hurdle

And maybe I would feel a sense of accomplishment from that

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2024, 3:39 pm

The truth is operant conditioning only works for a short term with exercise, espcially if the reward is not sustainable all the time.
Force yourself, initially it may be "icky" but over time it becomes a routine and you don't give it a second thought.

Ceallaigh
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2024, 5:59 pm

I love that perspective! I was doing pretty good, but when my routine is broken, I have an extremely hard time getting back to it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2024, 6:24 pm

When I was working it made practical sense to cycle to work. There was a steep but reasonably short uphill section on the way home. I'm sure that daily bout of exercise helped keep me fit. It was very lucky because I only cycled to save time. That was the reward.