Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 11:26 am

As I wrote here:

Quote:
No other nationalist movement that I know of has a large outsider-based allied organization analogous to Christians United for Israel, which has "over 10 million members," according to Wikipedia. That's more than the total number of Jews in the United States, which is about eight million. So it is certainly much larger than any of the Zionist Jewish organizations.

Christian Zionism is big thing primarily in the U.S.A., but it also exists worldwide. Here are some articles voicing trepidation about Christian Zionism by Rachel Tabachnick, who is herself a left-leaning moderate Zionist:

- Why Christian Zionists Love Jews and Other Notes from the End-Times
- Disenchanting Zionism
- The New Christian Zionism and the Jews: A Love/Hate Relationship

These articles were written back in 2010. Christian Zionism, already a massive phenomenon back then, has continued to grow since then.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 11:44 am

They're practically nothing more than a weird Doomsday Cult. They want to force everyone in the US to support Israel not because they give a damn about Jewish people but because they believe it will fufill some stupid Armageddon Prophecy.

If that isn't the definition of a Doomsday Cult then I don't know what is.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 2:00 pm

Here, I wrote:

Mona Pereth wrote:
IMO the USA should stop unconditionally supporting Israel.

Insofar as we continue to support them, it should be subject to strict conditions, just like our support for Ukraine is subject to strict conditions. Ukraine is not allowed to invade Russia at all (because allowing them to invade Russia at all would start WW III). With Israel and other countries that the U.S.A. either gives or sells arms to, that are at war (or potentially at war) with countries other than superpowers, we don't need to be quite as strict as we are with Ukraine, but we should at least stop allowing them to slaughter vast numbers of civilians.

Unfortunately, the U.S.A. showing even the slightest restraint whatsoever in our support for Israel isn't going to happen anytime soon.

It won't happen until such time as Christian Zionism ever loses some of its steam and a significant counterbalancing pro-Palestinian movement ever arises among Christians here in the U.S.A., in solidarity with Palestinian Christians.

At that point, perhaps it might finally be possible to come up with a decent, balanced solution to the Israel/Palestine problem, via proxy interfaith dialogue among the three main Abrahamic religions here in the U.S.A.

As I explain above, I think the key to the emergence of any balanced, ethically acceptable solution to the Israel/Palestine problem would be the rise of a pro-Palestinian movement among American Christians, as a counterweight to Christian Zionism.

I'm not Christian and therefore can't be a part of any such movement, but I will do what little I can to encourage it, e.g. via my occasional posts about Palestinian Christians (e.g. in this thread).

On the other hand, I think it would also be necessary for Christian Zionism to evolve into a genuine concern for the well-being of Jews, rather than seeing Jews primarily as pawns in a prophesied end-times scenario.

If both of those things happen, then it might be possible for a real solution to the Israel/Palestine problem to arise in interfaith dialogue here in the U.S.A. and then be implemented via pressure from the U.S. government.

Back in the 1990's, before Christian Zionism became quite the behemoth that it is today, the U.S.A. successfully pressured Israel into the negotiations that became the Oslo accords.

My hope is that someday, in the hopefully not too distant future, the U.S.A. will once again be able to take a more balanced view of the Israel/Palestine problem, and, this time around, come up with something better than the Oslo accords.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2023, 10:37 pm

The Historical Roots of Christian Zionism, its Theological Basis and Political Agenda

on the Youtube channel of the The Jerusalem Fund & Palestine Center, a U.S.A.-based organization which aims to "foster greater awareness about Palestine, in the United States and abroad, and to ameliorate the lives of Palestinians in Palestine and the diaspora."

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 6:18 pm

What is Christian Zionism?

on the YouTube channel of Jewish Voice for Peace.

The guests are two American evangelical Christian theologians, Gary Burge and Donald E. Wagner, who are concerned about Palestinian rights.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 1:01 am

Who is John Hagee, the Christian Zionist pastor who spoke at the March for Israel? by Mira Fox, Forward, November 14, 2023: "Hagee, who has made numerous antisemitic statements in the past, runs the largest Christian lobby for Israel."

Quote:
Pastor John Hagee, like many evangelical Christians, supports Israel, though he is louder than most: He’s the head of Christians United for Israel, one of the largest pro-Israel lobbies in the U.S. And he was invited to speak at a march “for Israel, to free the hostages and against antisemitism” organized by the Jewish Federations of North America on the National Mall in D.C. Tuesday.

But while Hagee is indisputably in favor of Israel’s existence, it’s not particularly clear that he’s against antisemitism.

Hagee has made numerous antisemitic statements over the years, including in an old sermon in which he asserted that Hitler was sent by God to push Jews to return to Israel, where, Hagee said, God wants Jews to live. At other times, he has blamed “half-breed Jews” for the Holocaust, and also said that Hitler himself was a “half breed Jew.”

Additionally, Hagee has endorsed antisemitic conspiracies, such as that the Rothschild family is running the worldwide banking system, and specifically controlling the Federal Reserve. He has also alleged that Jewish financiers are working to bring around the Antichrist.

Looks like Hagee is a believer in what I will call standard American grand conspiracy ideology -- the same grand conspiracy theory that underlies Pizzagate and QAnon and was earlier popularized by the likes of Alex Jones.

Much of this ideology is lifted straight out of the The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, The International Jew, and even the medieval anti-Jewish blood libel, except that Pagans, occultists, and Satanists have been substituted for Jews. Despite this substitution, standard American grand conspiracy ideology still features the same cast of evil Jewish villains, e.g. the Rothschilds, that are also featured in the more overtly anti-Jewish variants of this ideology.

Even before Alex Jones came along, this ideology was popular among the more extreme religious right wingers, many of whom were members of the John Birch Society, which had long promoted fears of "the Illuminati," the "New World Order," the Federal Reserve, and the United Nations.

Back to the article:

Quote:
Israeli leaders have long endorsed a partnership with Christian Zionists, seeing a necessary political efficacy in working with evangelicals. Though most Christian Zionists only support a Jewish state in Israel because of an antisemitic belief it will bring about an apocalypse during which Jews will be cursed and Christians will rise to Heaven, Israeli politicians have understood that this powerful American political bloc serves their short-term interests.

In speeches, Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu has played to a Christian audience, referencing biblical passages related to the End Times prophecies and drawing parallels to current events, invoking Christian support for Israel.

But in recent years, when politicians such as Marjorie Taylor Greene and Doug Mastriano have excused antisemitic statements by emphasizing their support for Israel — “In fact, we probably love Israel more than a lot of Jews do,” said Mastriano’s wife, Rebecca, in her husband’s defense — Jewish groups castigated the politicians for failing to apologize for their antisemitic statements.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 7:15 am

Addendum to a previous post:

Mona Pereth wrote:
The Historical Roots of Christian Zionism, its Theological Basis and Political Agenda

on the Youtube channel of the The Jerusalem Fund & Palestine Center, a U.S.A.-based organization which aims to "foster greater awareness about Palestine, in the United States and abroad, and to ameliorate the lives of Palestinians in Palestine and the diaspora."

This video features Steven Sizer, Director of Peacemaker Trust for Persecuted Minorities in the U.K.

I just now finished watching this. Lots of info about the history of Christian Zionism, which long predates the better-known Jewish Zionist movement led by Theodor Herzl. He then talks about various American evangelical Christian religious religious right wing leaders here in the U.S.A.

As Dr. Sizer says, Zionism is primarily an evangelical Christian political movement, not primarily a Jewish one. He says, "I would argue that nine out of ten Zionists today are Christians." He says that Pew Forum "found that 25% of American Christians believe it is their responsibility to support Israel, and when you look at white evangelicals, it's over 60%." John Hagee, founder of Christians United for Israel, is quoted as saying that there are "50 million Christians standing up and applauding Israel, [...] joining in common cause with 5 million Jewish people in America, on behalf of Israel."

Also, organized Christian Zionism is even bigger than the 10 million members of Christians United for Israel (John Hagee's organization) that I mentioned earlier in this thread. According to Dr. Sizer, the Unity Coalition for Israel claims to have 40 million active members.

Over two hundred different Christian Zionist organizations have been founded since 1980. Christian Zionist organizations have been busily doing the following:

1. Lobbying the U.S. government on behalf of Israel.
2. Successfully lobbying to move the U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, and to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
3. Providing financial and other assistance to help Jews from around the world move to Israel.
4. Supporting the illegal West Bank settlements. For example, an organization called "Christian Friends of Israeli Communities" raises money for the settlements and invites each American evangelical church to "adopt" an Israeli settlement.
5. Supporting the extremist goal of demolishing the Dome of the Rock and building the Third Temple. (This includes breeding red heifers. (See my post here for details and relevant links.)
6. Fiercely opposing any and all attempts to secure any rights whatsoever for the Palestinians.
7. Promoting fear and hatred of Arabs and Muslims. Campaigning to restrict immigration of same, here in the U.S.A.
8. Advocating that the U.S.A. go to war on behalf of Israel, e.g. a pre-emptive military strike against Iran.

These days, Christian Zionism is primarily an American thing, but it is also influential, though to a lesser degree, in various Western European countries and in South Africa. Also, although Christian Zionism is primarily an evangelical Protestant Christian thing, it has had some influence over the more traditional Christian denominations as well, mainly due to guilt feelings about the Holocaust.

Near the end of the video, an audience member asked whether Christian Zionist leaders are for real, or whether the Christian Zionist movement is just a big psyop by the Israeli government. Dr. Sizer replied that Christian Zionist leaders are indeed real people, and apparently sincere.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Dec 2023, 9:07 am

I am Catholic, but while I don't identify as a Zionist, I do consider myself an ally of Israel. I used to be against Israel, but when I educated myself about Israeli history and the conflict, I convinced myself to support Israel. I also live in an area with a large Jewish population (New York, which has the largest Jewish community outside Israel), so I've learned about Israel and Jewish history from Jews.

Kids in American schools are not taught enough about the conflict. They're not taught how nearly one million Jews were expelled from Arab countries after the creation of Israel or that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem was buddies with Adolf Hitler (I am not making this up - look it up). They're taught about anti-Semitism in Europe, but not anti-Semitism in the Middle East.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 1:25 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
I am Catholic, but while I don't identify as a Zionist, I do consider myself an ally of Israel. I used to be against Israel, but when I educated myself about Israeli history and the conflict, I convinced myself to support Israel. I also live in an area with a large Jewish population (New York, which has the largest Jewish community outside Israel), so I've learned about Israel and Jewish history from Jews.

Kids in American schools are not taught enough about the conflict. They're not taught how nearly one million Jews were expelled from Arab countries after the creation of Israel

I'm aware of this. For this and other reasons, a humane and just solution to the Israel/Palestine problem would NOT involve expelling Israeli Jews en masse.

NibiruMul wrote:
or that the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem was buddies with Adolf Hitler (I am not making this up - look it up).

Probably on the basis that "the enemy of my enemy of my friend." At that point, there was already quite a bit of fighting between indigenous Palestinian Arabs and Zionist Jews, thanks to the contradictory promises that Britain had made to both nationalities regarding Palestine during World War I. At that point, there existed both Arab terrorists and Zionist Jewish terrorists, fighting against both each other and the British army. Regarding Zionist Jewish terrorism during the 1930's, see:

- Irgun - Wikipedia
- List of Irgun Attacks - Wikipedia
- Lehi (militant group) - Wikipedia
- Jewish Terrorism and the Modern Middle East by David A. Charters
- Jewish Terrorist Activities and the British Government in Palestine, 1939-1947 by B.R. Hoffman, Oxford University Ph.D. thesis, 1985

So, by the time of World War II, the Palestinian Arab Higher Committee and Nazi Germany had common enemies: the British and the Zionist Jews.

But, although they formed an alliance of convenience, I see a huge moral difference between Nazi anti-Jewish racism and Palestinian Arab antipathy to Zionist Jews. Nazi anti-Jewish racism was based on purely delusional beliefs about Jews, as an alleged intrinsically evil and inferior race, and as alleged traitors during World War I. On the other hand, Palestinian Arabs had valid, concrete reasons to fear Zionist Jews, based on their actual intentions as Zionists (rather than as Jews per se). And their fears turned out to be correct -- even worse than expected -- in 1948.

Of course, one can argue that allying with the Nazis was a horrible thing to do no matter what, but the U.S.A. too has had all manner of horrible allies in the past, including Stalin's USSR during World War II. (And if, during World War II, Japan had refrained from bombing Pearl Harbor but the USSR had decided to attack the U.S.A. instead, for whatever reason, then the U.S.A. too would likely have joined the war on Nazi Germany's side.) My point here is not that allying with Nazis is okay, but "let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

NibiruMul wrote:
They're taught about anti-Semitism in Europe, but not anti-Semitism in the Middle East.

Although anti-Jewish prejudice has always been -- to some degree -- a real thing in Muslim-dominated lands, it rarely got anywhere near as bloody, or as generally nasty, as European Christian persecution of Jews often got, throughout the many centuries of Christendom. For many centuries, Jews were able to live relatively peacefully in most Muslim-dominated lands.

In any case, the existence of anti-Jewish bigotry in the Middle East does NOT excuse the expulsion of hundreds of thousands of Palestinian Arabs from their homes in 1948, for the mere crime of fleeing (only temporarily, they believed) for their own safety.

Furthermore, in recent decades there has been an effort, within Palestine and at least some other parts of the Arab world, to reject bigoted anti-Jewish beliefs and be clear that their objection is only to Zionism and not to Jews per se. Even Hamas made an effort to clean up its act in this regard. (The 1988 Hamas Charter contained lots of anti-Jewish language, including endorsement of The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. Their 2017 revised charter got rid of all that language.) Many other Palestinians, all the more so, have made an effort to distinguish between Jews per se and Zionism.

It should also be noted that, before the formation of the state of Israel in 1948, only a small minority of Jews were Zionists, and almost all Orthodox Jews rejected Zionism, on the grounds that only the forthcoming Messiah could legitimately re-create Israel. After 1948, as the decades passed, more and more Jews, including more and more Orthodox Jews, accepted and embraced Israel.

But, to this day, some of the indigenous Jews of Palestine -- those whose ancestors lived there before the arrival of large numbers of Zionist immigrants -- reject the state of Israel and have chosen, on religious grounds, to be citizens of Palestine rather than Israel. (Here is an article about one of the few remaining anti-Zionist Orthodox Jewish groups, Neturei Karta.) There still are also some nonreligious anti-Zionist Jews. (See Our approach to Zionism on the website of Jewish Voice for Peace.)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 10:11 am

So why have zionists allied with people who are only zionist because in their belief Israel is a necessary step for the rapture to occur? The rapture is not Jew friendly, it would be the ultimate genocide.

Jews are not worried about the rapture they think it’s meshuggeneh(crazy). So why not benefit from powerful political support?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 9:26 pm

How Evangelicals Betray Christians In The Holy Land [Pt. 2]

(I was not able to find Part 1, but Part 2 is self-contained.)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 12:48 am

I just now ran across a page on Countering Christian Zionism, on the website of Friends of Sabeel North America (FOSNA), "A Christian Voice for Palestine." This page includes some detailed info about Christian Zionism, plus advice for pro-Palestinian Christians on how to talk to Christian Zionists.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 2:45 am

I was taught that the U.S. government was behind everything, using Israel as a pawn to unleash its influence in the Middle East.
I believe this argument has the same stupid kernel as the standard American grand conspiracy ideology, but it is valid in explaining why the United States continues to export support to Israel.
Personally, there is no end to normal wars if religion and nation are recognized as immutable and important enough to justify war. But I don't think so, and at the same time I understand that my point of view is not suitable for this era.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 6:45 am

belijojo wrote:
I was taught that the U.S. government was behind everything, using Israel as a pawn to unleash its influence in the Middle East.

I think that's an oversimplified view. It seems to me that lobbying by various large private organizations of American people, both Jewish and Christian, is a much bigger factor here than any purely rational geopolitical interest of the U.S. government. (And the Christian Zionist orgs have the biggest role, since they are much bigger than the Jewish orgs, indeed much bigger than the total number of Jews in the U.S.A., Zionist or otherwise.)

belijojo wrote:
I believe this argument has the same stupid kernel as the standard American grand conspiracy ideology, but it is valid in explaining why the United States continues to export support to Israel.

I'm not talking about any alleged secretive conspiratorial group like "the Illuminati." The many Zionist orgs are very open about what they do, even if they don't get as much news coverage as perhaps they should.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 7:14 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I think that's an oversimplified view.

I'm not talking about any alleged secretive conspiratorial group like "the Illuminati."

I see

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2023, 10:26 pm

Evangelical Christianity, including the specific type of evangelical Christianity associated with Christian Zionism, has evolved quite a bit over the past 50 years or so. More and more, evangelical Christianity has been largely (though not completely) taken over by the Charismatic movement and then the neo-Charismatic movement, e.g. the New Apostolic Reformation. (Links above are to Wikipedia articles.)

One consequence is that more and more Christian Zionists, despite being supposedly such great friends of Jews, have been making more and more efforts to convert Jews to Christianity.

Another consequence is that more and more Christian Zionists are also, paradoxically, believers in classical anti-Jewish conspiracy theories, which are pretty much endemic in the more "spiritual warfare"-oriented branches of Christianity.

For more about this, see Meet Bibi’s New Tribulation-Courting, Jew-Converting, Demon-Exorcising American Allies by Rachel Tabachnick, The Daily Beast, originally published Mar. 22, 2015, updated Apr. 14, 2017. Old news but still relevant:

Quote:
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been one of the most beloved Israeli politicians in the history of Christian Zionism. It has been a religio-political match made in heaven, with Christian Right leaders providing Netanyahu with money in Israel and political clout in the U.S., and the Israeli leader putting up with an Evangelical end-times theology.

But while Netanyahu is still in office, his Christian Zionist dance partners have changed. They no longer adhere to the fantastical, but generally passive end-times theology from which Christian Zionism emerged. Today’s Christian Zionists hail from apostolic and prophetic movements such as the New Apostolic Reformation (NAR), a demon-haunted new generation of American religio-politics, which may change the terms of the American-Israeli right-wing partnership in the bargain.

It was Jerry Falwell who brokered the unlikely political partnership between American fundamentalists and Israeli politicians during the administration of Menachem Begin, founder of the Likud Party. The evangelical end-time prophecy narrative—well captured in books like Hal Lindsey’s Late Great Planet Earth and The Left Behind series co-authored by Tim LaHaye, one of the founders of the Moral Majority—was central to this alliance. In this interpretation of biblical prophecy, believers are raptured, or suddenly snatched to heaven, prior to the seven years before Jesus’ return, a time when the anti-Christ will rule over the earth in the Great Tribulation.

Today, the most prominent organization in Christian Zionism is Christians United for Israel (CUFI), led by controversial pastor John Hagee. CUFI has moved tens of millions of dollars from the U.S. to Israel, but is not required to disclose its activities because it is technically a church, registered in Texas as “CUFI Church Association” with a mission to “proclaim Christ to the world.” Hagee’s theology is somewhat consistent with Lindsey’s and LaHaye’s: In his fiery dispensationalist sermons, he teaches that the Rapture could take place at any minute.

While the futuristic end times prophecy narrative predicts a grim outcome for Jews, this is essentially a “passive” tale that requires supernatural intervention and that many Jewish leaders don’t take seriously. Often, they would literally laugh it off. One common joke is “When the Messiah comes, we’ll just ask if he’s been here before or not.”

But Christian Zionism has recently been transformed by a new generation with a radically different theology that actively seeks to proselytize in Israel, Eastern Europe, and South America, and which promotes an aggressive Christian nationalism in the U.S. Today’s Christian Zionism is dominated by the Charismatic/Pentecostal sector of Christianity, with the NAR [New Apostolic Reformation] first and foremost. Several CUFI directors, past and present, are part of the NAR leadership, and NAR spokespeople have gained prominence in Christian Zionist circles.

Get to know the NAR: they are the future of the Christian Right. Their leaders describe themselves as modern day “apostles and prophets,” anointed by God to reform the church in preparation for the end times. This is a triumphalist theology, one in which the adherents believe they will exercise “dominion” over all of American society, be victorious over their opponents on earth, and convert all the Jews.

For fundamentalists like Jerry Falwell, the prerequisite for the second coming was the physical restoration of Israel or the return of unconverted Jews to modern day Israel. But for the apostles and prophets of the NAR, the prerequisite for the second coming is the spiritual restoration, or conversion of Jews to their brand of Christianity. The result has been the development of Messianic communities and missionary training centers around the world.

Moreover, while fundamentalists look to the scriptures for secret meaning in current events and messages from God, the modern-day apostles and prophets claim to be the bearers of God’s direct ongoing revelation. The results can be bizarre. The leading thinker of the NAR, C. Peter Wagner, stated on NPR in 2011 that the nuclear meltdown at Fukushima was a result of the Japanese emperor having had sex with the sun goddess, that there is “a lot of demonic control” in Congress (and that demons can possess entire cities as well), that it is important to cast spells to protect politicians from witchcraft, and that non-Christian religions “are part of the kingdom of darkness.” All in one hour with Terry Gross.

And yet, the NAR is not on the fringe, but at the center of today’s Republican Party. The Response, a massive Houston prayer event hosted by Rick Perry in 2011, was led by prominent NAR apostles and prophets joined by other Christian Right leaders. Perry’s event was patterned after and led by leaders from TheCall events hosted around the world by “prophet” Lou Engle and Mike Bickle, head of the International House of Prayer (IHOP). These events focus on fighting abortion and gay rights, and on proselytizing Jews in order to bring about the second coming. Engle’s events include one held in Jerusalem and another in Uganda, where local apostles in the movement spoke in support of the “Kill-the-Gays” bill then under consideration by the Ugandan Parliament.

Other Republican politicians have looked to this religio-political movement for support as well, including Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin, Sam Brownback, Duke Aiona of Hawaii, Katherine Harris of Florida, and many more. One of the NAR’s training centers, the Messianic Jewish Bible Institute (MJBI) in Dallas, featured President George W. Bush as the keynote speaker at its annual fundraising gala.

The NAR has steadily taken over the world of Christian Zionism. The “prayer for Israel” at Rick Perry’s event was not led by John Hagee but by Apostle Don Finto, the author of the classic text on supporting Messianic communities (i.e. converted Jews with NAR-style evangelical beliefs). Finto openly called for the conversion of Jews, and was joined by the rabbi of one of the nation’s most prominent Messianic congregations. This call for the conversion of Jews was repeated at a more recent similar event hosted in Louisiana by Gov. Bobby Jindal and also featuring NAR apostles.

Another key NAR player in Christian Zionism is Finto’s disciple, Robert Stearns. Stearns was one of the original directors of CUFI and his ministry has prominently featured endorsements by Bibi and other Jewish leaders. He is also the co-founder and leader of the single largest international Christian Zionist event, the Day of Prayer for the Peace of Jerusalem (DPPJ), held annually and involving thousands of churches worldwide praying that Israel fulfill its God-given mandate. That mandate is clear in Stearns' celebration of the growing number of the Messianic movement in Israel, and his exclamation that these converted Jews are like "our elder brother risen from the dead!"

[...]

In 2011, I wrote that the NAR’s proselytizing network is teaching millions of Christians that Jews are spiritually dead and Judaism is a rebellion against God, representing a reversal of progress that had been made in interfaith dialogue and acceptance since the Holocaust. Four years later, the NAR is now at the center of Christian Zionism, itself a crucial part of the shifting, increasingly partisan US-Israel relationship.

Ironically, the term “anti-Semitism” has been frequently used to describe those who object to Israeli politics, while Christian Zionists, who hold views denigrating Jews’ spiritual lives and which would have been considered anti-Semitic years ago, are described as “philo-Semitic” defenders of Israel. This paradox has not only been tolerated by Jewish right-wing leaders, but Christian Zionists allies have, with their blessing, been commissioned to teach about the Holocaust, fight anti-Semitism on campuses, and represent Israeli interests to governments in nations around the globe.

But today’s New Apostolic leaders bring another challenge to Netanyahu and Israeli allies of Christian Zionists. Progressives have long complained that right-wing Israelis have made a “deal with the devil” in accepting support from messianic Christian Zionists. But that was, to coin a phrase, the devil they knew. The question now is whether right-wing Jews will continue to partner with a group that actively seeks their conversion, believes that politicians are possessed by demons, and is spending millions of dollars each year to create a theocracy in the United States. Netanyahu is still Prime Minister, but the game he is playing has changed.