Confidence is disposable these days

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2023, 8:57 pm

There are some women who view confidence as a type of toxic masculinity. Those types of women but they're the minority.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Dec 2023, 12:34 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
There are some women who view confidence as a type of toxic masculinity. Those types of women but they're the minority.
That's both my 2nd & current gf. I do NOT conform to the stereotypical male & I went through phases where I felt I was born the wrong gender so that's probably some of why I've had better luck with those types of women.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2023, 12:55 pm

Confidence is overrated.

A toxic byproduct of some extrovert culture BS.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2023, 3:03 pm

If you are truly confident you don't care if women think you are confident or manly enough. You are just yourself and if women don't fancy your kind of man then it's their problem. If you have that kind of confidence women tend to find you confident and attractive.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2023, 11:09 pm

I never did care about the extrovert culture. I tried to be extroverted myself just to fit into that stupid culture.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 12:19 am

I like humility more than confidence, not that it's an either/or thing. A person can be confident but have humility. At any rate, I tend to find humility more appealing than confidence in terms of character traits as long as it's not Uriah Heepish.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 12:46 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
I like humility more than confidence, not that it's an either/or thing. A person can be confident but have humility. At any rate, I tend to find humility more appealing than confidence in terms of character traits as long as it's not Uriah Heepish.

When I had a few drinks on my birthday which made me confident/social I talked to this girl and her friends at the pub. My friends then told me “She does not give a s**t”

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2023, 3:50 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:

When people have humility I take it as a sign of confidence.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 5:38 pm

yup, nobody cares about a womans confidence, thats not how men are attracted to women.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 5:51 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
yup, nobody cares about a womans confidence, thats not how men are attracted to women.

I was under the impression that not all men are the same.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 5:48 am

Melissa_Jones wrote:
Furthermore, true confidence is more appealing than overconfidence or arrogance.

This. Most of what people are talking about in this thread is not true confidence which is extremely rare in my experience and, I would say, the closest thing to a universally attractive trait. It is never intimidating, you don't need it to be extroverted and it isn't an indication of your earning potential. It's a lot more to do with having an accurate perception both of yourself and how you fit in to the world around you.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Dec 2023, 7:24 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Melissa_Jones wrote:
Furthermore, true confidence is more appealing than overconfidence or arrogance.

This. Most of what people are talking about in this thread is not true confidence which is extremely rare in my experience and, I would say, the closest thing to a universally attractive trait. It is never intimidating, you don't need it to be extroverted and it isn't an indication of your earning potential. It's a lot more to do with having an accurate perception both of yourself and how you fit in to the world around you.
I think I fit your definition of true confidence but lots of people think I lack confidence so I suspect lots of people don't recognise or know what true confidence is.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2023, 8:13 am

Too many people cannot distinguish between self-confidence and narcissism

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Dec 2023, 10:19 am

I think a point keeps getting glossed over here.

If you wanna come off as more confident, it might be a good idea to separate yourself from the dating scene and take a hard, long, critical look of why you might be having confidence issues. Is it appearance? Weight? Do you think your personality sucks? etc. If you're going into a social situation where you're trying to get someone's attention and earn their affection, you first need to build a healthy relationship with your inner and outer self.

Lack of confidence, inevitably, boils down to insecurity. But honestly, most of the women I've encountered and befriended just want someone who can be straightforward and candid with them. That's something we as autistics actually excel in, once we learn how to express it.

But my main point: you should learn to love and value yourself before entering the dating pool. No one wants to date someone who clearly doesn't like themselves. It's okay to be weird, strange, different. It can be endearing in the right circumstances too!

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2023, 11:22 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
If you wanna come off as more confident

Then I think you should stop and ask yourself: why?
If you worry about how other people judge you then you will never gain any true confidence. Learn to trust your own judgements. If other people voice an opinion about you, listen and reflect on it. Do they have a valid point? Is there anything you can learn from it about yourself? Are they talking nonsense? Some people get impressed by bragging and simplistic rethoric - ignore their opinon about you. Instead listen to people that you view as a rolemodels for true confidence.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

22 Dec 2023, 11:45 am

BillyTree wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
If you wanna come off as more confident

Then I think you should stop and ask yourself: why?
If you worry about how other people judge you then you will never gain any true confidence. Learn to trust your own judgements. If other people voice an opinion about you, listen and reflect on it. Do they have a valid point? Is there anything you can learn from it about yourself? Are they talking nonsense? Some people get impressed by bragging and simplistic rethoric - ignore their opinon about you. Instead listen to people that you view as a rolemodels for true confidence.

Did...you not read my entire post?