Lack of ethnic diversity in fictional autistic characters

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2024, 8:35 am

Eyeselation wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Having just one 'ethnic' character display symptoms of autism might back-fire.

Imagine a movie wherein the only autistic character is of African or Asian ancestry.

Imagine the backlash from African or Asian communities.

Unless the movie was about a group of ethnically-diverse heroes, each with his/her/their own version of an ASD, there would likely be protests.

African American here. I would welcome seeing a black character that isn’t a gangster, drug dealer, prostitute, mammy, angry black woman, etc…You get my drift. Honestly do not believe there would be an uproar if a black character were to be shown as a vulnerable, complex human being grappling with autism or other mental issues. It’s in the delivery.
On social media there will always be troublemakers. They don’t represent all black people.
I know you’re not talking about real characters but a change would be refreshing :) .

“The Green Mile” springs to mind. The autistic gentle Black giant incarcerated for a crime he didn’t commit. The only character clearly on the spectrum. Haven’t heard of any protests; not then or today. But you never know. There are always malcontents in the woodwork.

Eyeselation
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jan 2024, 9:35 am

Eyeselation wrote:
Eyeselation wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Having just one 'ethnic' character display symptoms of autism might back-fire.

Imagine a movie wherein the only autistic character is of African or Asian ancestry.

Imagine the backlash from African or Asian communities.

Unless the movie was about a group of ethnically-diverse heroes, each with his/her/their own version of an ASD, there would likely be protests.

African American here. I would welcome seeing a black character that isn’t a gangster, drug dealer, prostitute, mammy, angry black woman, etc…You get my drift. Honestly do not believe there would be an uproar if a black character were to be shown as a vulnerable, complex human being grappling with autism or other mental issues. It’s in the delivery.
On social media there will always be troublemakers. They don’t represent all black people.
I know you’re not talking about real characters but a change would be refreshing :) .

“The Green Mile” springs to mind. The autistic gentle Black giant incarcerated for a crime he didn’t commit. The only character clearly on the spectrum. Haven’t heard of any protests; not then or today. But you never know. There are always malcontents in the woodwork.

The Green Mile

“Looking at the film the predominant connection of religion within the film is through the protagonist John Coffey. Stephen King the original author developed Coffey to become the embodiment of Jesus Christ, even subtly using the same initials JC. We can make comparisons between Coffey and Jesus, which creates a more powerful emotional alignment with the audience. Both Coffey and Jesus are characters who hold the power of performing miracles to save people. They both display strong morals and ethics and can be seen as people we should idolise. Coffey and Jesus both were executed and sacrificed themselves for the sins of others. Coffey and Jesus were around in a time where they were persecuted for their background (1935 – discrimination against blacks/romans discriminated against the Jews). This religious viewing context creates a more powerful emotional response as we realise Coffey character to be more important and part of a bigger idea around humanity.”
Movie Review of the film.