Page 1 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 5:43 pm

Are there a lot of women out there who not mind dating long term unemployed men?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 6:03 pm

I don't know about "a lot of women", but I did it for many years.
He was even homeless at the end.

My son's GF was with him a few years when he was unemployed, too.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 7:27 pm

There aren't many women who would like dating an unemployed man, especially a disabled unemployed man.

This is basic knowledge and self explanatory as to the reasons why.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 7:37 pm

There are many women who do date disabled and/or unemployed men.

It’s not uncommon for one or both people in a relationship to be on disability.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 7:41 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
There aren't many women who would like dating an unemployed man, especially a disabled unemployed man.

Would men like dating an unemployed, disabled woman?

Is it self-explanatory as to the reasons why?

I'm pretty sure my BF thinks I'm the bee's knees, and I haven't worked in over 10 years.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 7:58 pm

A lot of the time it’s easier for an unemployed disabled woman to get a date than vice versa.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:02 pm

Jamesy wrote:
A lot of the time it’s easier for an unemployed disabled woman to get a date than vice versa.

That’s a common notion on WP. I’m not sure how much of a basis it has in reality.

Sometimes women who want a relationship have trouble getting a date or finding someone.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 8:12 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Oh, you mean because we have vaginas?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 9:14 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I'm pretty sure my BF thinks I'm the bee's knees, and I haven't worked in over 10 years.

It is culturally more forgivable in society for women not to work. Call it benevolent sexism or whatever but it is an attitude that definitely exists in pretty much all of Western Europe and a lot of US states.

Although some men do avoid dating unemployed women for the same reason as women who avoid dating unemployed men.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 9:54 pm

Where I live, it would depend. Say you're on disability, then I doubt it would be an issue. Or if someone doesn't have any income but can or will do things like go to the blood bank or pick up with grubhub or doordash when cash is needed it's generally not an issue. Or if they can't do that, then fix up the house or do repairs or something useful to contribute. It's when people get to being mooches that people might care. Unemployment is everywhere in my town. It's less about if you have a job, and more about how you conduct yourself, if you do what you can do, contribute in ways you can, or if you waste people's time sitting on your backside while draining their resources. Stuff like that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2023, 11:04 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
Where I live, it would depend. Say you're on disability, then I doubt it would be an issue. Or if someone doesn't have any income but can or will do things like go to the blood bank or pick up with grubhub or doordash when cash is needed it's generally not an issue. Or if they can't do that, then fix up the house or do repairs or something useful to contribute. It's when people get to being mooches that people might care. Unemployment is everywhere in my town. It's less about if you have a job, and more about how you conduct yourself, if you do what you can do, contribute in ways you can, or if you waste people's time sitting on your backside while draining their resources. Stuff like that.

Exactly. ^

I know many women who have dated unemployed men because the job market is so damned horrible. The defining feature is whether these men are interesting, treat them well, and have something to contribute in terms of workload. Maybe they're great parents, or they're good with handywork, or whatever. So long as they aren't expecting financial handouts I don't see why it would matter. Most women don't want to get married or live with partners anyway, especially not if they've done it before.

Another thing to consider is that just because a person isn't working, they aren't necessarily destitute. Some could have a good nest egg from former employment or other means.

My partner has been retired almost ten years. I guess retirement is different from being unemployed, but he's extremely well off financially. Most of that is from his wife's and his mother's life insurance, but it's also from selling a big house in Vancouver at the height of the real estate market, and from working his ass off for 25 years before that.

*And before anyone judges, no that's not why I'm with him. It's actually a deterrent. I'd prefer that he not have money.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 3:56 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

But you accumulated already millions of $ while working as a brain surgeon.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 4:22 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

It is culturally more forgivable in society for women not to work. Call it benevolent sexism or whatever but it is an attitude that definitely exists in pretty much all of Western Europe and a lot of US states.

Although some men do avoid dating unemployed women for the same reason as women who avoid dating unemployed men.

I though that attitude was changing in our society

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 8:07 am

Jamesy wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I though that attitude was changing in our society

I imagine it would be more forgivable to be unemployed in the current day with the improved awareness of mental health issues that prevent people from working and also the poor state of the economy.

But the stigma still exists.

The first thing most strangers ask in a social setting is "what do you do for work" or something along those lines. And then if you say no, people express sorrow for you.

That has been my experience every time I have been unemployed/having to tell people that in person.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 9:01 am

No, not a lot. Being unemployed is sub-optimal for a man who is trying to date.

Why do you ask? Are you unemployed?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2023, 9:04 am

How did this thread get to be about dating unemployed women?