Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 10:35 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
“The best marriage advice can be found in the Bible.”

Yeah, no. :roll:

I agree.

Quote:
I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I. - 1 Corinthians 7:8–9, Paul

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 10:47 am

Paul and the people who claimed to be him were asses.

1 Corinthians 11:3 “But I want you to understand that Christ is the head of every man, and the man is the head of the woman, and God is the head of Christ.”

Ephesians 5:22-24 “Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.”

1 Timothy 2:11-15 “Let a woman learn in silence with full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she is to keep silent. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve, 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet she will be saved through childbearing, provided they continue in faith and love and holiness, with self-control.”

1 Corinthians 7:1b-5 “‘It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.’ 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.” (emphasis added)

All of it is sh***y advice which isn’t surprising for the time period in which it was written.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 10 Jan 2024, 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 11:06 am

Jesus at Matthew 5:31-32 “It was also said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’ 32 But I say to you that anyone who divorces his wife, except on the ground of sexual immorality, causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”

So divorce is only okay if there is cheating. Yeah, I don’t think so. :roll:

Just idiotic stuff I was taught and grew up with.

f**k the Bible and the Watchtower for claiming such nonsense was applicable for our day.

Watchtower agrees with Jesus that divorce is only okay if there’s cheating, but they claim that separation is allowed if there’s “extreme physical abuse.” :roll: An as*hole elder in my church made it clear that hitting is not enough. Emotional and sexual abuse don’t count either.

There’s probably better marriage/relationship advice to be gleaned from watching The Simpsons.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 5:06 am

^ That rings bells with stories I heard in local Islamic divorce courts where beaten women have to prove that they have marks to prove that they got physically abused.

We have a strange hybrid systems, where all laws (criminal, trade...etc) follow civilian laws, except for family laws.
Family law matters are governed by 18 separate religious courts. Marriage ceremonies, for example, are only performed under the authority of a religious leader.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2024, 9:52 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ That rings bells with stories I heard in local Islamic divorce courts where beaten women have to prove that they have marks to prove that they got physically abused.

Elders wouldn't even approve of a divorce for such a reason although separation might be okay. Due to a couple reasons, I never got divorced although I might feel comfortable enough to do so soon. It's not like I ever want to remarry anyway though. I consider myself divorced from a moral standpoint because he broke the marriage vows. If they knew that I was in a relationship with someone, I'd be full on shunned, not that I care at this point. I'm shunned by most family members already.

It’s fascinating to me how they like to bash Islam all the time regarding their treatment of women.
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
We have a strange hybrid systems, where all laws (criminal, trade...etc) follow civilian laws, except for family laws.
Family law matters are governed by 18 separate religious courts. Marriage ceremonies, for example, are only performed under the authority of a religious leader.
That sounds extremely complicated. I think that marriage shouldn't be a legal thing at all but should, instead, be an entirely personal matter with no legal basis whatsoever.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 12:33 am

To keep my hopes up because there's someone for everyone. Oh, really? Is there someone for someone like this?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 10:57 am

^ Yes, I think there is. You’re a Sweet Pea.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2024, 1:59 pm

TwilightPrincess wrote:
^ Yes, I think there is. You’re a Sweet Pea.

:mrgreen:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 3:05 am

Pokemon upgrade, Go!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 5:52 am

"Just go up and talk to her!"

Right . . . while her 6'6" footballer boyfriend is standing next to her . . .

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 6:21 am

^^ Oh we can make a whole serie of this one advice.

While she is way hotter than you.

While she obviously seems minding her own business and doesn't want to be bothered at the moment.

Says the guy who is a Henry Cavill lookalike.

While you are in a very inapproriate place for cold approach, like in the street or gym or beach. Actually cold apporaches are always inapproriate (unless if you look exceptionally hot like Henry Cavill which may work sometimes).

While she had never ever showned any sign of her interest toward you.
Refer to viewtopic.php?t=387442 (I can assure that this is the best dating advice a male can get).

Keep it going guys!

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 17 Jan 2024, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 6:25 am

Fnord wrote:

Right . . . while her 6'6" footballer boyfriend is standing next to her . . .

Footballers typically aren't tall. Messi: 5'7", Pelé: 5'8". OK Beckham is 6 foot and Ronaldo is 6'2". But in all likelihood that's LeBron James standing there.

@Fnord, how tall is the average kickboxer?

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 9:44 am

I would be extremely uncomfortable if someone I didn’t know asked me out no matter what they looked like. I would be wary of their intentions. How would they know they wanted to go out with me without knowing me? It’s creepy.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 17 Jan 2024, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 9:47 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Pokemon upgrade, Go!

Upgrading over the previous one I had wouldn’t be that difficult. :lol:

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2024, 10:14 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Keep it going guys!
I don’t want this to turn into one of those threads. If it does, I’ll have it locked. :ninja:

silverlinings1069
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jan 2024, 10:18 am

worst advice ever - get married