Urinating
Naked
Eating

What do you often dream about?

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 5:36 pm

I have many many dreams where I can fly, with sustained effort. Many of them are about struggling to stay airborne.

I tend to have dreams about being late to work, or missing shifts altogether

I have had a few dreams about my clothes disappearing while I was in public. In one I was in a mall, and had to keep buying new clothes to cover up with.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 7:06 pm

I have a recurring dream where I am a small child trying to drive a car on a busy motorway (highway) and I can barely see past the steering wheel, or reach the pedals and it is terrifying.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 7:21 pm

Memory unlocked: as a kid I used to have dreams where I basically had no choice to drive even though I was a kid

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 7:59 pm

School, work, eating.

Never flying.

Not really any "naked" dreams.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 10:12 pm

I once dreamed I could fly by flapping my arms, when I was a fairly young child. I was able to stay a few inches off the ground for maybe half a minute or so at a time. Naturally I was very excited about it, so I went and told the kid across the road (this was before I woke up, still part of the dream). But he just started talking about this model aeroplane engine that he'd got strapped down to a workbench, explaining all the technicalities like some kind of gearhead, and I felt very disappointed that he was completely missing the point. And what was the good in having an aeroplane motor strapped down to a bench anyway? If it had been making a model aeroplane actually fly then there would have been more of a point to what he was doing. I was even more disappointed when I woke up and found I couldn't really fly at all.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2023, 10:27 pm

Being someone else.

Unexpectedly changing between people mid dream - I may have started the dream as (whoever) but I might switch to someone else (often happens when I die as the first person in the dream).

Omens of death or danger - the grim reaper, the grim (as in the mythological black dog), Kelpies and Banshees.

Visiting places such as my old school but I'm suddenly a giant who can't fit through the door. :lol:

Small spaces or spaces that never end (for example; getting in a pool and trying to swim to the pool ladder but it keeps getting further and further away).

Language shenanigans (e.g. I pick up a book and the words turn to ink and bleed out of the book. Alternatively, it rapidly changes languages for no apparent reason. Or the words, numbers or musical notes might come alive and fight me. My dreams get very weird. :lol:)

25. Near the spectrum but not on it.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Dec 2023, 10:28 pm

Flying: my most common dream theme when young. Used more of a swimming stroke than a flapping. Could only reach about treetop height - never higher.

School: Only as an adult going back to high school for some reason.

Work: After retirement, frequently dreaming of helping out at work "off the books" and "off the clock", but frequent full shifts and even overtime.

Driving: Sitting in back seat of moving car and realizing I need to get in front seat and control the car before it goes off the road.

Urinating: needing to go, but finding only locked or out-of-order restrooms and too many people around to just slip into the bushes and go.

Naked: I am always naked in my dreams. Sometimes others are as well, but usually I am the only one. Others rarely notice, or if they do, they don't care.

Eating: I only remember one eating dream in my whole life. I was around 5 years old. In the dream, an uncle was visiting and we were watching TV after supper. He got out a pack of lifesaver candy, put one in his mouth and asked if I wanted one. (IRL, my mother did not allow us kids to have candy between supper and bedtime.) I told my uncle to wait a minute, then I got up from the sofa and went to my bedroom. I looked in and saw myself in bed asleep. I went back to the sofa and told my uncle it was ok for me to have a lifesaver because this was just a dream.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NFLE, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 11:06 am

Campingbare wrote:
Flying: my most common dream theme when young. Used more of a swimming stroke than a flapping. Could only reach about treetop height - never higher.

My flying dream was like that - it was something I could barely manage to do and the height and duration of the flights were very limited. And it closely resembled my first successful attempt to swim in real life. I'd noticed that swimming was like flying in water.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 11:37 am

Work:
This is one of the few recurring dreams I've had. I'm back at work, I notice something bad or uncomfortable about the way I'm being treated, and then I realise that I've been working voluntarily without pay for the past year, and that I can quit any time I like without losing out financially.

I think what the dream may be saying - if dreams say anything - is, "Maybe my working life would have been a lot happier if I hadn't been aware that I was there under duress, but had simply been there through choice, free to obey or disobey management in whatever way I saw fit."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 1:49 pm

Often dream that I am back at one of the many places of employment Ive had at different times in my life.

Back at the office supply/stationery store I worked at in the 80s, or back the CVS drugstore in the Nineties, or even at the party dj company I worked at in the Nineties and two thousands. My current employment, counting inventory for retail stores, does not crop up in dreams very often for some reason. Or if it does I dont remember the dreams.

I even had a kinda hybrid dream between two one time employers in which my boss at the dj company opened a little tiny store front in a mall in which csutomers could look through catalogues from which you could order custom stationery - for your wedding announcement. There really was a corner of the stationery store I worked at for that purpose. The DJ company mainly catered to wedding receptions. So in the dream my still current employer at the dj company expanded to cater to other aspects of the wedding market. When you were done with the catalogues and turned around to leave the little alcove you saw a closed circuit TV that ran ads for the DJ company. So he would get you coming AND going so to speak. When I awoke I actually seriously considered suggesting the idea to the boss IRL, but didnt do that.

The common "anxiety nightmares" that many folks get...I also have. Like the flunking out of school nightmare...I am in enrolled X number of courses, and failing this one, doing okay in that one, and forgot was even taking THAT one. And the "I am a teenager again, and a new driver, and I just clipped somebody's fender in a parking lot, and my dad is gonna kill me when he finds out..."nightmare. The former still occurs even though Ive been out of school for decades, and the later even though my dad died decades ago.

My theory is that these mundane (because they dont involve monsters, just everyday stuff) anxiety nightmares are your body's way of keeping you asleep while you either (a)have to go to the bathroom, or (b) lack covers and are cold. Both cold and holding back your bladder tense your body up. So your mind concocts a story involving anxiety...which also tenses up you body...to explain it ...and to engross you into saying asleep.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2023, 4:19 pm

School:
I was sitting in the assembly hall where they were holding a lesson. It was dark and dim, and I couldn't see properly. The teacher's words were blurred because of the boomy, reflective nature of the hall, and I couldn't hear them properly. I was scared that I'd get into trouble for not taking it in.

That was quite an early dream, from the days when I actually did quite well at school. I guess that nonetheless I didn't do well all the time and had a certain amount of anxiety about doing badly. In those days, if a pupil did badly, they got all the blame for it, and the blame included physical punishment.

Vander571
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2024, 3:12 pm

Flying dreams also, we all must be connected or something like in XMEN :wink:

When I was 5, mum told me not to read the dinosaur book before bed, well I did anyway.

Had a dream that night that a dinosaur came in my window and grabbed my arm. It was so real I woke up screaming and had a pain in my arm for several days.

Once I had a crush on a girl, I had an insanely intense erotic dream, so real I have body memories as if it actually happened, like a real memory.

I don't have Autism, I was born this way. I'm simply called an Autistic.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2024, 3:28 pm

I have dreams about Germany, crime mystery solving, psychology, hippies, family relationships, art and travel.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2024, 1:09 am

Flying: Nearly 100% of my flight dreams are lucid: I'm aware I'm dreaming. Most of my lucid dreams involve flight. Hmmm, wonder why that is. Could these flight experiences be actual out-of-body experiences? The bizarre thing is that often, while I'm in flight, the scenery is exceptionally vivid, and the experience is extremely real, as though I'm ACTUALLY flying above a valley or rolling hills or mountains. I wake up feeling like the whole experience really happened.

Driving: I'm behind the wheel and keep telling myself I'm not going to let the car go fast because if I do, it'll get out of control. However, I don't drive slowly enough and the car ends up going really fast, and I can't slow it down despite squeezing hard on the pedal. Often, I'm approaching a highway that curves, and there's the fear the car will fly off the curve.

School: For the back-at-college ones, I'm working on my PhD (I only have a bachelor's). My parents want me to get the PhD, and I'm close to getting it, but don't want to keep pursuing it. I then realize that I have a content site (which I actually do), that generates passive income, and decide to quit the PhD program, because why would I need to further my education when my content site supports my living expenses?

Bit by Small Animal: I get bit or scratched, and watch the area to see if it "draws blood," because I know that if it does, I'll have to get to the ER to get rabies shots. It draws blood, and the whole dream involves me trying to get to an ER, but there are always obstacles along the way, and I never make it to the ER. However, there were a few times where I actually made it INSIDE an ER, and in one dream, was finally inside an actual room with a doctor, but the dream ended before the rabies treatment came.

If I'm not sure I'm dreaming, I'll test this by pressing my fingers into a wall. If they permeate the wall, this is how I know I'm dreaming. I've also trained myself to realize I'm dreaming if I see airforce jets flying low in the sky (a recurring dream). Sometimes these jets speed right by me (it's actually pretty scary).

Harmonie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jan 2024, 9:15 pm

I have dreams about:

Flying: It's typically flying that I can feel pushing out from below my feet. I don't remember ever feeling scared in these dreams or having trouble. These are dreams of freedom.

Being indecent/naked (these are rare, but happen every once in a while.)

Horror dreams: I hate horror, I can't stomach much of it at all. Yet I sometimes have these dreams and they are very disturbing. I've had some really terrifying ones. A lot of times they appear in the format of me being chased by something or someone, but sometimes they aren't.

Driving/Flying (plane): These are the result of my fear of driving and flying. For many years there I didn't fly because I was scared of it effecting my ears. These dreams have stopped since I got on a plane for the first time in a long time a year and a half ago. The driving dreams still happen, as I'm getting ready to learn to drive.

Narrative dreams (literally, my brain forms its own fictional story with characters and everything, very cohesive, but I don't remember them for very long after waking up)

School/College: I had a class I failed in early college and it has haunted me ever since. I have these dreams where it's the end of the semester and I've missed a class many times, and I have tons of homework and several essays to write in one night or I'm going to fail. D:

Music: Oftentimes music dreams are school/college dreams, and follow the same pattern of having missed out on lessons or something for a long time. :O Oftentimes I'm rejoining an ensemble for the first time in years and am confused on which instrument I am to play. Right after graduating from high school, they took the form of me being back in marching band and going onto the field to march a show I'd never learned! :O Nowadays, if I have one about marching band, it's a reunion.

Dreams with my ex or someone else I fell for: These are so harsh. The other night I had a dream about this woman I fell for (Hi, I'm bi!), and it ended with her walking off into the distance without me being able to do anything. I woke up in a panic. It caused a doubting of my sexuality as well, because I've never felt for a man what I have for the women I have fell for. Ugh.

On a similar note I once had a dream about a close friend who I have never had feelings for, but in the dream I did. It was so awkward because she is straight and married and I had to face her the next day after that dream. xD (I DID NOT tell her about it, of course!)

Bathroom: I have overactive bladder. A lot of my dreams are interrupted by me needing to find a bathroom because I literally need to go in reality. 99% of the dreams I can never find a bathroom. Sometimes I'm out in public and can't find a bathroom, or can only find the men's restroom, not the women's, or do find a bathroom but the stall door won't shut or there's no privacy in some other way. I hate these. Weird.