Best noise canceling headphones? Bose, Apple, or Sony?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Which noise cancelling headphones do you prefer?
Bose 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Sony 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Apple 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

alex
Developer
Developer

26 Dec 2023, 5:29 pm

I have a lot of sensory issues related to sound and am easily distractable so I've always needed noise canceling headphones. I own Bose QuietComfort headphones (both the QC 25 (wired) and QC 35) but I purchased a pair of Airpods Max a few years ago and found those to have much better sound quality and noise canceling than Bose. They're also great because Apple makes a cable that allows you to use them with a standard 3.5mm jack.

I also have a pair of Airpods Pro 2 that I got more recently and they're much more convenient when I'm on the go since they're in ear headphones that fit in my pocket (I used to always be walking around with over-the-ear headphones on my head or around my neck whenever I was in public).

However, I've heard really good things about the Sony noise cancellation--specifically the XM4 and XM5.

Anyone else use noise canceling headphones? Or do you prefer ear muffs / earplugs? Ear plugs have the drawback of hurting my ears after a while.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 6:49 pm

Bose QC 35's. I haven't tried Airpods, because they fall out of my ears every time I turn my head. I haven't tried Sony at all. Loops are also good for more discreet overall noice-reduction (not cancelling)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 6:51 pm

Sennheiser :heart:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 11:39 pm

I can only afford earplugs.
Or, just play music with earphones or some off brand wireless. It depends.

And it gotten more comfortable when I learned enough anatomy of my own ears and learning types of eartips.

Never tried noise canceling headphones.
Most headphones I ever had were not noise cancellers and are just used in audio for PCs. :o

That, and...
Internal sensitivities. Not all the noise and senses that can distract and overwhelm I hear are external.

In fact, internal noise and internal stimuli would likely overwhelm me; my own breathing especially, steps I take and the vibration of my own body, tinnitus if I go careless, even my own heartbeat sometimes, etc.

... There is no known solution for it. :| Sometimes earplugs exacerbates it.
I had to gauge which is 'worse' at the moment; my environment or whatever I'm sensing regardless where and what situation I'm in.

... Not to mention random times I have more touch sensitivities at certain states or phases of reproductive cycles.

Or times that I need more stimuli instead.

Yes, I'm already juggling several factors and that's just when I would ideally wear earplugs. :lol: :|

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2023, 11:51 pm

Edna3362 wrote:
I can only afford earplugs.

I can't afford Senns.
I only use my partner's or my brother's when they're offered to me.
I love them for Bluetooth music in general, and for NC.
They both have cans but I know Sennheiser makes the earplug style too.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Dec 2023, 2:09 am

i have experience with NC headphones but not earbuds

bose are really good if you are willing to spend more

sony make some really good ones in the value range

i have not tried apple

i'm currently rocking a cheap pair of JBL NC headphones and they do a pretty good job at keeping noise out even in a crowded bus

JamesW
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Dec 2023, 4:56 am

Currently I've got Bose QC-35's which do the job perfectly. For public transport I prefer earplugs, and have Anker Soundcore Life P3's.

Many years ago I swore by Sennheiser PXC-250's. Unfortunately the 'upgraded' PXC-250-II's were a disaster both in terms of noise cancellation and build quality, so I switched to Bose.

There is a God.

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Dec 2023, 3:01 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Sennheiser :heart:

I have a pair of sennheiser open back headphones and they sound amazing. But I don't have their noise canceling ones. I think they're called Sennheiser HD 595s

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 3:04 am

I have the Sony headphones WH-1000XM4. I like them a lot, but I’ve never really tried any others. Well, I tried Bose ones in a store once and liked them quite a bit, but I didn’t use them enough to form a firm opinion about which I liked more.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 1:05 am

I finally got noise canceling headphones, they were $100, I got them on sale, $75 off. I don’t know how to use them.