Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2023, 1:56 pm

Have you ever heard that you're not supposed to wear socks with sandals? I have heard this before.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2023, 7:40 pm

I have ben told not to wear socks with sandals. But I have ignored it.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Dec 2023, 8:22 pm

Being told not to wear socks with sandals is akin to being told not to eat peanutbutter and mustard sandwiches. I will wear socks with my sandals when I feel like it. Like when it's a bit chilly for example, or just cuz.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 9:40 pm

I will always wear socks with sandals

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 10:00 pm

Jetso wrote:
Have you ever heard that you're not supposed to wear socks with sandals? I have heard this before.
Yes, and from ignorant, self-important people, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2023, 10:54 pm

I've heard that, but not wearing socks makes my shoes full of sweat stains, which is bad

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 12:55 am

The only "sandals" ive worn in the last few decades are flip-flops.

Have worn socks with them. But it doesnt work well for a number of reasons. Bad for the socks, for your feet, and bad for the sandals. The socks have to go around that thong between your toes. Makes the socks too tight.

So WTF keep on wearing socks with sandals?

Last edited by naturalplastic on 29 Dec 2023, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 12:56 am

belijojo wrote:
I've heard that, but not wearing socks makes my shoes full of sweat stains, which is bad

We are talking about sandals. Not shoes.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 12:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
belijojo wrote:

We are talking about sandals. Not shoes.

some translator errors, i mean sandals

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 1:33 am

Sandals are open, and tpp well ventilated to stink. So you dont need socks. And you can wash them off.

The old kind of sandals were made of whicker... like baskets. All of the Roman warriors wore them. I wore a pair imported from India for a while when I was a school kid. The modern style kind are made of plastic or rubber. Often from recycled tire treads.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 1:45 am

Don't you have this kind of trouble? The bottom of the shoe fits my feet too much, like this ,so I sweat. Maybe it’s just me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 2:01 am

I guess that like shoes sandals can be too tight.

And your sandals have a lot of "surface area" for sandals. And cover up more of your feet than sandals I am used to seeing.

Which shows that it is a "spectrum" ...that runs from truly open sandals through almost enclosed sandals like yours through a radical new style pair of shoes I have that are porous on the upper parts (well ventilated but let your feet get soaked in the rain) through ...actual old style fully enclosed shoes. :D

So that makes the "sock issue" rather subjective.

David1346
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2023, 1:06 pm

This is a social convention. I don't pay much attention to social conventions because all such conventions will change in time. Look at smoking as an example, When I was a child in the 60's, it was common practice for adults to smoke in public, in restaurants, and in passenger aircraft. Smoking on domestic flights in the United States is now illegal. Many sates now have laws against public smoking.

If you're comfortable wearing socks with sandals, go for it.

Having said this, I think you should also use common sense. You should not, for example, wear socks and sandals on cold rainy days because the socks will absorb moisture. It is for this reason that you should not wear socks and sandals on cold snowy days.

If you're dining out at a restaurant that has a dress code that requires a shirt and tie, you should not wear socks and sandals.

yurguardianangel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2023, 1:56 pm

Crocs with socks though. :lol:

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 3:08 pm

Jetso wrote:

That's old school advice as far as I know. It's mostly from when it was just sloppy dressers that and the uncool that did. I don't believe it's a fashion rule these days.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 3:51 pm

I have been told that it is unfashionable to wear socks with sandals. That it shouldn't be done.