How interesting do you think your life is?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How interesting is your life
1 Extreme depression and nothing going on 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
2 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
3 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 Average person on the street 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
8 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
9 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
10 Celebrity/Make a movie about my life 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 24

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2023, 5:11 pm

By interesting, I mainly mean easy to talk about. It’s not necessarily good or bad. I’d rate the average person on the street about a five. Not the most interesting, but it’s not too bad for them to talk about their life. They can talk about their job, their family, significant other, activities they do and plans for their weekend. Not the most exciting, but interesting enough to keep a conversation going and not be bored to death. When you’re at a five it’s easy to answer generic small talk questions. At a six or so it’s even easier.

A ten is an extreme. I’m talking celebrities or people with amazing accomplishments or people who went through obvious hardship. Not necessarily an ideal either. I’d say six to eight is ideal. Interesting enough for people to be engaged with you and not struggle with small talk, but still some sense of stability.

I’d usually rate myself a two. I put in a lot of effort to stay at this level. I make sure I leave the house and spend time around people. There’s nothing truly going on in my life, but I like to pretend there is. It somewhat works, but when people ask any questions it all falls apart. I’d say I’m a depressed artist if I had to label myself. There’s moments in my life where I sort of feel content. It’s just lame AF to talk about those moments. I don’t have the worst life, but it sure is boring. I’d say the average person who says their life isn’t interesting is probably at a 4 or 5. Unless you’re dealing with chronic illnesses or being stuck at home all day you’re probably at least a 4. I don’t have any regular job due to being disabled, so that instantly makes my life impossible to talk about. I really can’t be open about my life to most people. I have to really work hard at avoiding that topic.

Talking about my art is far more interesting to talk about than my actual life. I have to carefully manipulate the conversation to avoid basic questions about my life. Maybe when my life is at its most interesting I might be a five or even six. Part of my issue is that people want to hear about my *life*, not my art. I don’t really have any life beyond my art. Sure I’m studying Finnish, but people completely tune me out when I mention anything about Finnish. So clearly they don’t care or consider it part of my life.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 6:38 pm

pretty subjective, isn't it?

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2023, 6:50 pm

autisticelders wrote:
pretty subjective, isn't it?

Guess it is, but my life is objectively less interesting than the average person’s life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 6:59 pm

2 gang knows what life's like.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2023, 7:05 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
2 gang knows what life's like.

I’m guessing that’s about average for an autistic person. Even though special interests are interesting, they don’t make your life more interesting. Especially to other people.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 10:07 pm

My eternal life would be a snooze. I could weave a semi interesting memoir from my internal perspective but nothing truly remarkable or illuminating

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2023, 10:16 pm

9 as in interesting to me.

1 or 2 for most other people's interest in my life.

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 12:22 am

Interesting to talk about or interesting to me?

When I talk to someone I want to talk about the things that they are thinking about, and the things I've been thinking about. We might also mention something we did that day or that month, but that's never the most interesting thing about anyone's life. Even famous or accomplished people do mundane things like grocery shopping or laundry. And even if someone has been on a trip or written a book or been in a play or done some other pretty amazing thing, talking about that is only mildly interesting, compared to talking about ideas. Talking about the day-to-day things is only interesting to the extent that we are sharing something about our lives and therefore getting closer, so it can be both mundane and interesting at the same time.

My day-to-day life is relatively ordinary, especially since i have chronic fatigue so spend a lot of my time at home, but I do try to go to an event like an art opening or a live musical performance once or a couple times a month, and I meet a friend for lunch about once a week, usually, and I consider that fairly interesting, to me, though it's not really a conversational topic for me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 2:29 am

Relatively, to some, it's up to a 7.

Personally, it's a 4.
I need more novelty, not problematic old news that happens over and over and cannot be solved.

But the world giving me stuff isn't the problem, it's me not going enough for the stuff that I want. Maybe not even coloring the perceived stuff.

Hopefully I'll make my life a bit more interesting than mind numbing painful or less passive this upcoming years.

I just had to undo more whatever has been holding me back, getting rid of things in accumulation of unwanted coping behaviors and mindsets born from dealing with near constant dysregulation and discomfort.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 2:57 am

2 just another poor NPC no sort of defining character.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2023, 7:12 am

very boring admittedly.
my life is very structured, wake up, shower, have breakfast, work, come home, dinner, watch TV and browse internet, sleep

some may find it boring but i think it's comfortable

the downside is it hinders my conversational skills as i don't have much to talk about, and that's why i am shy.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 9:17 am

My average day to day life is about as interesting as you'd expect. Sadly I'm not an actual dragon terrorising villages and sitting on a pile of hoarded gold.

I would say my life is pretty boring compared to my peers. However, a friend of mine once based a character on me, so perhaps she'd disagree with that assessment.

She would be wrong.

In retrospect, I really should've put the pieces together on that one and the fact I was completely oblivious to the fact she had a crush on me for so long... I'm an idiot. I'm definitely glad the character wasn't killed off. That would have made for an awkward conversation. :lol:

I felt almost guilty that I didn't feel the same. Especially because at the time I was too busy crushing on a straight woman. Ugh. Why does life have a sense of humour?

Another friend of mine is a minor celebrity. It's really weird witnessing him be interviewed. We jokingly give him a dramatic introduction whenever we hang out to annoy him. :P

Sometimes it feels like my friends are all living cool lives and I'm just here existing.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 9:28 am

jamie0.0 wrote:
very boring admittedly.
my life is very structured, wake up, shower, have breakfast, work, come home, dinner, watch TV and browse internet, sleep

some may find it boring but i think it's comfortable

the downside is it hinders my conversational skills as i don't have much to talk about, and that's why i am shy.

I envy your peaceful life, but having seven roommates makes me irritated. I have to go out after getting up to make my life boring again.

A little fun is good in life, but boredom is a necessity for me.I will definitely not share a room after work, even if it is a little worse in terms of food or entertainment.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 9:55 am

It depends on which part of my life. There have been times when my life was movie-level interesting. Perhaps for the most part, it's been boring though.

Talking about myself is not easy. Talking about the interesting bits is even more difficult. Some things are too bad to talk about, and when it comes to accomplishments, I don't like to brag. Most people probably think I'm more boring than I am because I don't talk about myself much offline.

BugsBunnyFan
Raven
Raven

30 Dec 2023, 2:17 pm

bee33 wrote:
Interesting to talk about or interesting to me?

When I talk to someone I want to talk about the things that they are thinking about, and the things I've been thinking about. We might also mention something we did that day or that month, but that's never the most interesting thing about anyone's life. Even famous or accomplished people do mundane things like grocery shopping or laundry. And even if someone has been on a trip or written a book or been in a play or done some other pretty amazing thing, talking about that is only mildly interesting, compared to talking about ideas. Talking about the day-to-day things is only interesting to the extent that we are sharing something about our lives and therefore getting closer, so it can be both mundane and interesting at the same time.

My day-to-day life is relatively ordinary, especially since i have chronic fatigue so spend a lot of my time at home, but I do try to go to an event like an art opening or a live musical performance once or a couple times a month, and I meet a friend for lunch about once a week, usually, and I consider that fairly interesting, to me, though it's not really a conversational topic for me.

I can talk about interesting ideas. That’s the most interesting thing for me to talk about. Unfortunately a lot of people are more interested in my day to day life than interesting ideas. My day to day life is even more boring than the average person because I’m depressed and disabled. At this point I can’t even manage errands like grocery shopping. I’m grateful when I can.

Even when I do something sort of interesting, I often talk about it in a boring way. Even traveling isn’t something that’s super interesting for me to talk about. I wish people were more satisfied talking about ideas. I guess I prevent my life from completely boring *me* to death by engaging with ideas I find interesting. Too bad no one counts that as doing anything. I hate that I’m so defined by what I do.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 3:09 pm

I've usually found enough interesting things to do and think about to keep my life from getting boring, but sometimes I run out of material and then I can hardly stand the ennuie of it all until I find something to do. I'm rarely interested in the details of other people's lives unless I happen know them and to have taken in a few details about them, and then I become interested. But otherwise I see their lives as boring compared with mine.

That's "interesting" measured from my own perspective. I doubt that others would agree with my idea of what's interesting and what isn't. The problem with the OP's voting scale is that it meshes the perspectives of the individual and the world together, when they might be very different things. So I wouldn't try to make a movie about my life because although I'd probably find it a fascinating movie, nobody else would be interested. And I don't find the lives of celebrities very interesting.