Why recognise a genocide and not for another one ?

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2024, 11:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
There were more people from more demographics who were murdered during the Holocaust.

Yes.

Even within the "same genocide" folks emphasize some parts over others.

They stop at the six millon Jews, and dont go on to list...political prisoners, Gypsies (Roma), the handicapped, Soviet POWs, etc etc killed in the same Nazi Holocaust which add up to atleast another five million on top of the Six million Jews. .

At times it's easy to feel cynical about that outcome.

The holocaust doesn't seem to have made an entire civilization reflect upon how they view the Romani or queers or the handicapped, left-wingers, labour activists, etc; anti-communism made it easier for people outside of the Soviet Union to forget that Germany fought a war of extermination in the east (unlike the west).

That said, all that reflection doesn't seem to have reduced antisemitism in the west, so much as made people adopt code words and plausible deniability tactics. At times I wonder if the primary motive for supporting Israel without question is an example of dishonest/guilty virtue signalling.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 7:37 am

What Israelis do is shown and analyzed in multiple social media videos to a much greater degree then concurrent, never mind historical events that are just as bad or worse. A lot of these other events are occurring in places that are hard to access.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman